Full or Open Face Helmet?

Tortuga_imp said:
Actually, I'm a short step away from buying an open face, just for a laugh.

I've always worn full face Arai's and have 4 now. I just fancy the open face for a quick trip round the block or to the shops.

In reality that's stupid as an accident could happen anywhere and most happen close to ones home where their guard is down.

I think it's a question of 'feel safe, nail it' and conversely 'feel vulnerable, pootle along'.

Also a hear peripheral vision is WAY better on an open face (piss pot) helmet.

I just don't know what to do. So many choices, which oil, open or full helmet, screen or naked, 10-30w or 10-40w oil?


I think I'll sell it and take up golf!
HikerToo_imp said:
J Cruise on the CB , fairly close color match
4f9f2ce0dcaed7ce5a8558312e0d24ff.JPG
Wow, you look like a badass 'enforcer' about to carry out a hit on some whacko!

When I tried on an open face helmet my friend said my head looked like a bowling bowl.:huh:
Mate, selecting a putter shouldn't take up more than a year or two of the good old allotted. Then there is the driver, sand wedge or pitching (maybe both) , grips, shafts ......

Don't do it. Stick with something simple, like motorbikes. :-/

Cheers
 
Capo_imp said:
While I sport a Davida Jet or HJC pudding bowl for short runs along the beach and such during the summer, I mostly ride full face- Arai Corsair or Schuberth flip. After my buddy's 65 MPH tumble on his Thruxton last week (he's OK, shattered wrist and knee) and seeing the helmet, I'm fully convinced full face is the only answer. Pic:
96a443165c52417342a6320836a28377.jpg
9a4e03753f17c13bde17ec7edca19256.jpg
Call me a lightweight, but "shattered wrist and knee" doesn't exactly fit my mental picture of "he's ok."
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Capo_imp said:
While I sport a Davida Jet or HJC pudding bowl for short runs along the beach and such during the summer, I mostly ride full face- Arai Corsair or Schuberth flip. After my buddy's 65 MPH tumble on his Thruxton last week (he's OK, shattered wrist and knee) and seeing the helmet, I'm fully convinced full face is the only answer. Pic:
96a443165c52417342a6320836a28377.jpg
9a4e03753f17c13bde17ec7edca19256.jpg
Call me a lightweight, but "shattered wrist and knee" doesn't exactly fit my mental picture of "he's ok."
Call me a lightweight, but "shattered wrist and knee" doesn't exactly fit my mental picture of "he's ok."
Meaning, he's alive, upright, and will ride again.
 
Timpo_imp said:
The photographers at Deals Gap have a knack for getting great crash photos. The only bright side for this guy is his pictures will be free (they don't charge for pics if you crash).
 
I feel that folks should ride with the helmet that's right for them.

For me personally, I always wear a full face. Bell RS-1 is my current favorite.

My priorities in helmet selection are:
1. Safety,
2. Fit (I believe that depending on the shape of your head, some brands will be better than others for you),
3. Visibility/Reflectivity. I like white, but avoid silver and gray helmets because I feel they blend in to the background too much. I really like to have some reflective paint in the design of the helmet.
4. Comfort/Quiet/Ventilation

A bonus of my current helmet, that I now almost take for granted, but shouldn't, is that it doesn't fog. 10,000 miles, no fog. Bless you, engineers who did that.

I really don't make any attempt to match the helmet to the bike, but I understand those that do.

Again, that's only how I look helmet choice and what's right for me.

In this paint scheme, there are hi-viz highlights and all the silver highlights are highly reflective, which I like. I hope the bright white background with stripes helps with visibility, but I don't know that for sure.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ng2mnD]IMG_0153 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/people/55838481@N07/]cbiz_wiz, on Flickr
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Capo_imp said:
While I sport a Davida Jet or HJC pudding bowl for short runs along the beach and such during the summer, I mostly ride full face- Arai Corsair or Schuberth flip. After my buddy's 65 MPH tumble on his Thruxton last week (he's OK, shattered wrist and knee) and seeing the helmet, I'm fully convinced full face is the only answer. Pic:
96a443165c52417342a6320836a28377.jpg
9a4e03753f17c13bde17ec7edca19256.jpg
Call me a lightweight, but "shattered wrist and knee" doesn't exactly fit my mental picture of "he's ok."
Call me a lightweight, but "shattered wrist and knee" doesn't exactly fit my mental picture of "he's ok."
I know, right! Any part of me start getting 'shattered' and I'm decidedly NOT 'ok'!
 
dont mean to hi jack this thread but what do you guys think of the HJC RPHA 10 Helmet? do you think the positions of the air vents would be as functional riding our bikes compared to those that have a more aggressive hunched style riding? im a noob in the motorcycle world and could use some guidance, i was able to try this one on and it fit great and felt awesome but i just want to get some of the more seasoned riders opinions.

 
I can't say anything about the HJC, but I'm glad I switched to a full face helmet. The other day a pickup threw up a rock that hit my face shield. would have hit my face with my open face helmet.

All I could think was I'm glad it didn't hit my tank! :)
 
jsinher3_imp said:
dont mean to hi jack this thread but what do you guys think of the HJC RPHA 10 Helmet? do you think the positions of the air vents would be as functional riding our bikes compared to those that have a more aggressive hunched style riding? im a noob in the motorcycle world and could use some guidance, i was able to try this one on and it fit great and felt awesome but i just want to get some of the more seasoned riders opinions.
Thats a top of the line HJC. I have yet to find many helmets with effective top of the head venting, and can rarely " feel" if the venting is open or closed. On my HJC IS16 I can definitely feel it, but on my other HJCs I can't. I use my shield cracked open a smidge to control shield fogging.

You also might check motorcyclegear.com I think they have the RPHA10 on sale right now.
 
The ferret_imp said:
jsinher3_imp said:
dont mean to hi jack this thread but what do you guys think of the HJC RPHA 10 Helmet? do you think the positions of the air vents would be as functional riding our bikes compared to those that have a more aggressive hunched style riding? im a noob in the motorcycle world and could use some guidance, i was able to try this one on and it fit great and felt awesome but i just want to get some of the more seasoned riders opinions.
Thats a top of the line HJC. I have yet to find many helmets with effective top of the head venting, and can rarely " feel" if the venting is open or closed. On my HJC IS16 I can definitely feel it, but on my other HJCs I can't. I use my shield cracked open a smidge to control shield fogging.

You also might check motorcyclegear.com I think they have the RPHA10 on sale right now.
Thats a top of the line HJC. I have yet to find many helmets with effective top of the head venting, and can rarely " feel" if the venting is open or closed. On my HJC IS16 I can definitely feel it, but on my other HJCs I can't. I use my shield cracked open a smidge to control shield fogging.

You also might check motorcyclegear.com I think they have the RPHA10 on sale right now.

i was also looking into that one but i did have a chance to try it on my size, how is the internal shield like, i heard it cuts off. also how is the noise.
 
In the latest issue of Rider Magazine, they did a review of 12 flip-up helmets and concluded about the HJC RPHA:
"With lightness, comfort, decent ventilation, ease of operation and the Pinlock anti-fog included, the RPHA is one of the picks of this litter."
Although not tested in the rain, they commented that the top exhaust vents do not close, raising the possibility of water entering on a rainy day.
If that was an issue you wouldn't think that HJC would not address it and just let it go in a fairly pricey helmet.
I've also been thinking of moving up to this model from the HJC Symax I've had for 6-7 years.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I can't say anything about the HJC, but I'm glad I switched to a full face helmet. The other day a pickup threw up a rock that hit my face shield. would have hit my face with my open face helmet.

All I could think was I'm glad it didn't hit my tank! :)
Had the same thing happen to me recently. With no wind screen of any kind a full face is just my choice but boy they sure do get hot. Everything is a compromise of sorts but I just live with the extra heat given the other protection just in case its needed.

On top of getting hit in the shield with a rock another flew up and hit my truck windshield and busted it this week. Talk about bad luck.
 
I own and occasinally use an RJ Platinum. Having a grande cabeza, this helmet leaves me looking just like Gazoo from the Flintstones...
 
Thread starter
As much as I like my full face Shoei GT Air, I just came back from a ride with the J-Cruise 3/4....wow, what a view, its 'like I have window to the world.....and the clarity on both my Shoeis shileds are impressive, all I use to clean them is the recommended warm-water, wet cloth.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
As much as I like my full face Shoei GT Air, I just came back from a ride with the J-Cruise 3/4....wow, what a view, its 'like I have window to the world.....and the clarity on both my Shoeis shileds are impressive, all I use to clean them is the recommended warm-water, wet cloth.
I love mine too! (The J-Cruise, that is.)
I just downsized the cheek pads from the standard 35mm to the smaller 31mm so at least now it's not pushing my face into looking like a puffer fish anymore! :D
 
Thread starter
Damfino_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
As much as I like my full face Shoei GT Air, I just came back from a ride with the J-Cruise 3/4....wow, what a view, its 'like I have window to the world.....and the clarity on both my Shoeis shileds are impressive, all I use to clean them is the recommended warm-water, wet cloth.
I love mine too! (The J-Cruise, that is.)
I just downsized the cheek pads from the standard 35mm to the smaller 31mm so at least now it's not pushing my face into looking like a puffer fish anymore! :D
I love mine too! (The J-Cruise, that is.)
I just downsized the cheek pads from the standard 35mm to the smaller 31mm so at least now it's not pushing my face into looking like a puffer fish anymore! :D You must have a fat face :-) I had to get the bigger cheek pads to grip better
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Damfino_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
As much as I like my full face Shoei GT Air, I just came back from a ride with the J-Cruise 3/4....wow, what a view, its 'like I have window to the world.....and the clarity on both my Shoeis shileds are impressive, all I use to clean them is the recommended warm-water, wet cloth.
I love mine too! (The J-Cruise, that is.)
I just downsized the cheek pads from the standard 35mm to the smaller 31mm so at least now it's not pushing my face into looking like a puffer fish anymore! :D
I love mine too! (The J-Cruise, that is.)
I just downsized the cheek pads from the standard 35mm to the smaller 31mm so at least now it's not pushing my face into looking like a puffer fish anymore! :D You must have a fat face :-) I had to get the bigger cheek pads to grip better
I love mine too! (The J-Cruise, that is.)
I just downsized the cheek pads from the standard 35mm to the smaller 31mm so at least now it's not pushing my face into looking like a puffer fish anymore! :D You must have a fat face :-) I had to get the bigger cheek pads to grip better
'Chubby' is my middle name! :D
 
While this may not be aimed specifically towards a full-face helmet, it is a WONDERFULLY convincing video for the use of a helmet in general.

For those who haven't seen this, it's well-worth a minute of your time.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
I still have my graphic heavy full face helmet from Ninja days...but it seems like with this CB1100 it would be more natural to wear an open face helmet with glasses or possibly a shield...what are others doing?
I was thinking something like this from Shoei.

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx...R&h=11&t=1

I know, old thread, but I believe the topic can be carried forward.

Many times I had the same question. Independent of helmet safety - because I believe we can all generally nod that full-face is the best insurance. However, fashion and/or convenience sometimes get our better judgement.

Most of my CB riding is with full face - easily 2/3rds of the time. I use full-face and modular. The modular is handy when I know I will be stuck in traffic during the muggy hot season. It allows me to open up essentially breath (and drink). Full-face is a must for cold season riding. That should be easy to understand.

But, when convenience creeps in, I slip into a 3/4 face Arai. Used for the broader range of cool-warm-hot riding (e.g. days with wide range of temperatures) I find it far more comfortable. In terms of fashion, not really. It still looks a bit geeky on the CB. In short, I can breath, sweat less, and feel more in touch with my surrounding environment. It's functionality starts to fail when riding in hard rain. Full-face is best for that.

Half-bucket: Without some sort of full windshield, I found the half-bucket helmet useless, super noisy, and essentially dangerous to use with the CB on the freeway. In my case, the helmet type tends to lift up like a parachute.

I prefer the 3/4, but use full-face most of the time. I would use 1/2 helmet because of the sense of freedom, but it didn't work for me on the CB at freeway speeds. The 1/2 might "look the best" with the CB.
 
when someone brings up one of these older threads I enjoy reading the posters names rather than the comments and wondering where all these people went and what they are riding now.

I especially like seeing OLD F7's name. he was a good member that passed away suddenly a few years ago after wanting a CB for so long and then finally getting one. Good guy. Hope he's having a great ride in heaven today! Maybe he's riding with Physics teacher and trying to keep him in sight lol. RIP OldF7 Guy & Physics Teacher. I miss you guys.
 
Back
Top