Full or Open Face Helmet?

First,I would like to say that I fully support every rider's freedom to choose their own level of risk and whatever type of helmet they prefer or non at all. That said, I can describe the helmet progression I have gone through over the years. I began wearing 3/4 open face helmets. They were the helmet of the day until full face began to appear. I guess I, like many people, was reluctant to change from what I knew and was comfortable with. Change for me came one day when I was reading an article about the difficulties with dental reconstructions following motorcycle accidents. I bought my first full face, an Arai Ultralite. It was followed by many other Arais until the flip fronts began to appear. Eventually I bought my first Nolen. It was so much more convenient to be able to open the front to drink water, talk to people, refuel, etc. I realized at the time that this represented a safety compromise, but just how much was unknown and still is to this day. There were no studies done to determine its safety performance. Manufacturers would only say that the flip front would meet the standards of a 3/4 helmet. The flip fronts have improved a lot since their introduction. The latch mechanisms, hinge pins, and shields have improved over time. There was a study done in Europe a while back comparing the various flip fronts to each other but not to full face. I believe the results of the study caused a few manufactures to improve their designs. (hence NeoTech) So, it still remains to be seen just how safe the flip fronts are. Me, I'm still wearing the latest Nolen 104. I guess it is still hard for me to change from what I know and am comfortable with.
 
dBuster_imp said:
I have a half helmet now but I am getting a modular helmet. More than likely today.

I did get one from revzilla, an AFX AF-140 and got it just a tad bigger and it fits loose when the chin is up and feels comfortable, but when I put the chin down my chin hits it and is not comfortable on the chin. So that is going back...

I am looking at a Bell Revolver Evo. Getting 15% off on one so why not try it out...



HI VIZ! Need to be seen as this bike as it is stock is too quiet... imho, not that I am not liking it compared to my growly XS850!
For some reason the chin bar on every modular helmet I've tried fits closer to your chin than a full face helmet. I ended up buying a Shoei Multi-Tec. It has just enough clearance for me. If I intentionally stick my chin out it will touch but under normal use it's fine. I'd recommend trying before buying if possible.
ridesalot_imp said:
First,I would like to say that I fully support every rider's freedom to choose their own level of risk and whatever type of helmet they prefer or non at all. That said, I can describe the helmet progression I have gone through over the years. I began wearing 3/4 open face helmets. They were the helmet of the day until full face began to appear. I guess I, like many people, was reluctant to change from what I knew and was comfortable with. Change for me came one day when I was reading an article about the difficulties with dental reconstructions following motorcycle accidents. I bought my first full face, an Arai Ultralite. It was followed by many other Arais until the flip fronts began to appear. Eventually I bought my first Nolen. It was so much more convenient to be able to open the front to drink water, talk to people, refuel, etc. I realized at the time that this represented a safety compromise, but just how much was unknown and still is to this day. There were no studies done to determine its safety performance. Manufacturers would only say that the flip front would meet the standards of a 3/4 helmet. The flip fronts have improved a lot since their introduction. The latch mechanisms, hinge pins, and shields have improved over time. There was a study done in Europe a while back comparing the various flip fronts to each other but not to full face. I believe the results of the study caused a few manufactures to improve their designs. (hence NeoTech) So, it still remains to be seen just how safe the flip fronts are. Me, I'm still wearing the latest Nolen 104. I guess it is still hard for me to change from what I know and am comfortable with.
I feel the same way about my Shoei Multi-Tec. I wear glasses and it's much easier to put on/take off a modular helmet than a full face.
 
oldyaler_imp said:
dBuster_imp said:
I have a half helmet now but I am getting a modular helmet. More than likely today.

I did get one from revzilla, an AFX AF-140 and got it just a tad bigger and it fits loose when the chin is up and feels comfortable, but when I put the chin down my chin hits it and is not comfortable on the chin. So that is going back...

I am looking at a Bell Revolver Evo. Getting 15% off on one so why not try it out...



HI VIZ! Need to be seen as this bike as it is stock is too quiet... imho, not that I am not liking it compared to my growly XS850!
For some reason the chin bar on every modular helmet I've tried fits closer to your chin than a full face helmet. I ended up buying a Shoei Multi-Tec. It has just enough clearance for me. If I intentionally stick my chin out it will touch but under normal use it's fine. I'd recommend trying before buying if possible.
ridesalot_imp said:
First,I would like to say that I fully support every rider's freedom to choose their own level of risk and whatever type of helmet they prefer or non at all. That said, I can describe the helmet progression I have gone through over the years. I began wearing 3/4 open face helmets. They were the helmet of the day until full face began to appear. I guess I, like many people, was reluctant to change from what I knew and was comfortable with. Change for me came one day when I was reading an article about the difficulties with dental reconstructions following motorcycle accidents. I bought my first full face, an Arai Ultralite. It was followed by many other Arais until the flip fronts began to appear. Eventually I bought my first Nolen. It was so much more convenient to be able to open the front to drink water, talk to people, refuel, etc. I realized at the time that this represented a safety compromise, but just how much was unknown and still is to this day. There were no studies done to determine its safety performance. Manufacturers would only say that the flip front would meet the standards of a 3/4 helmet. The flip fronts have improved a lot since their introduction. The latch mechanisms, hinge pins, and shields have improved over time. There was a study done in Europe a while back comparing the various flip fronts to each other but not to full face. I believe the results of the study caused a few manufactures to improve their designs. (hence NeoTech) So, it still remains to be seen just how safe the flip fronts are. Me, I'm still wearing the latest Nolen 104. I guess it is still hard for me to change from what I know and am comfortable with.
I feel the same way about my Shoei Multi-Tec. I wear glasses and it's much easier to put on/take off a modular helmet than a full face.
I tried the Bell on at the dealership, don't remember the chin hitting. Had a little snug fit in the noggin. I wear glasses and I am planning on stopping up there again after work within the hour now to try it on again with my prescription glasses and to check on that pressure point on the noggin. I don't want a hot spot... But if I can manipulate the padding to where I can wear it and then let it break in I might do that. IF the chin isn't against the front piece. I was disappointed in the AFX, so lets see what the Bell will bring.

I guess, like the optometrist says, I have BHS Big Head Syndrome.... So my glasses need to be adjusted just so as to where they don't pinch my head. But if you were to measure my head, I would fall in the XL range for most helmets but they don't fit me all the same. I know my half helmet is an XL and fits perfectly.... now to find a modular to do the same... without breaking the bank, but then again how much is my safety worth... tough
 
I just got my new HiViz flipup Bell Revolver delivered yesterday. My summary:

It feels like a cheap helmet, I guess that's because it is !

I'm OK with that as my last HiViz flipup helmet, a Scorpion XO-900 lasted about 2 years before: the color faded (but they warned that HiViz will fade with time), the plastic flip up pivot broke when the helmet fell to the ground with the chin bar in the up position (not a good feeling when the helmet can't take a 3 foot fall to the ground without breaking something)..

Since I expect the HiViz paint on the Revolver to fade in a few years, I'll be replacing it soon (probably with another cheap HiViz flipup).

For comparison, I"ve had 2 Nolan N102 flipups which felt like slightly better quality than the Scorpion 900, and I have a Shoei MultiTec which 'feels' like a quality helmet.

I don't wear the MultiTech much anymore because I decided that HiViz is the way to go for visibility and my MultiTech is 'plain' yellow.
 
I wear glasses and I am planning on stopping up there again after work within the hour now to try it on again with my prescription glasses and to check on that pressure point on the noggin. I don't want a hot spot...

dBuster, most modern helmets have small reliefs cut into the foam specifically for glasses. I'm not sure if Bell does that or not.
HikerToo_imp said:
I have the wine red also.
 
Argh had a reply but tablet reboot lost it...

Well I ditched the bell after trying to make it work. Just not going to happen!

So I asked the kid, what is the next one up or down in the range ofnhelmets. First up, the shoei neotec, WOW what a comfortable fit and my glasses perfect . So nice I could take a nap in that helmet. Price tag, um not for me.

So I ask the other way, HJC Sy-Max III HiViz Helmet, another nap taking fit! I cant believe how well these two fit. Okay so the hjc is more than the bell but not as much as the shoei... bit the bullet, put money down on one while they order it. Will take some learning on the visor being on top of the helmet but I am a Marine afterall, overcome and adapt!

Oh and the glasses with both, I could put the glasses on and take them off easily with the helmet on. With the bell I had serious pressure on the temples with the glasses on so it was shot down in the first 5 minutes of being there.
 
I didn't realize that my post would stir the pot so much...but here is something for everyone to think over. Go out to your gradge and plug in your belt sander...if you don't have one maby a friend of yours does...then just lightly touch it to your face and that's what it feels like where ever the road is in contact with your body...please everyone don't kid your selves in to a scene that "it will not happen to me" because it will! I hate to be the doom day guy here but this is DANGEROUS and riding a motorcycle it never meant to be taken lightly. On a parting thought keep the rubber side down and have fun!
 
dBuster_imp said:
Argh had a reply but tablet reboot lost it...

Well I ditched the bell after trying to make it work. Just not going to happen!

So I asked the kid, what is the next one up or down in the range ofnhelmets. First up, the shoei neotec, WOW what a comfortable fit and my glasses perfect . So nice I could take a nap in that helmet. Price tag, um not for me.

So I ask the other way, HJC Sy-Max III HiViz Helmet, another nap taking fit! I cant believe how well these two fit. Okay so the hjc is more than the bell but not as much as the shoei... bit the bullet, put money down on one while they order it. Will take some learning on the visor being on top of the helmet but I am a Marine afterall, overcome and adapt!

Oh and the glasses with both, I could put the glasses on and take them off easily with the helmet on. With the bell I had serious pressure on the temples with the glasses on so it was shot down in the first 5 minutes of being there.
HJC is a good choice. It's been my experience that Shoei and HJC helmets are almost identical in fit and finish.
 
JESTER_imp said:
I didn't realize that my post would stir the pot so much...but here is something for everyone to think over. Go out to your gradge and plug in your belt sander...if you don't have one maby a friend of yours does...then just lightly touch it to your face and that's what it feels like where ever the road is in contact with your body...please everyone don't kid your selves in to a scene that "it will not happen to me" because it will! I hate to be the doom day guy here but this is DANGEROUS and riding a motorcycle it never meant to be taken lightly. On a parting thought keep the rubber side down and have fun!
Hey, that's my signature line! :P :D :cool:
 
Why don't the Harley guys ever wear full face helmets? The only people I see wearing full face are riding "metric" bikes. When you do see a Harley guy wearing a helmet (only when required by law) it's one of those "in your face" half helmets that would only protect you if you fell off a bicycle.

A famous psychiatrist (Eric Erickson?) said all behavior has meaning. What does this behavior mean? It means "I frankly don't give a damn about myself and I don't give a damn about you." Myself because I am willing to spend the rest of my life in a constant vegetative state, and you because you are going to pay for it because I don't have any insurance. :(
 
meowguy_imp said:
Why don't the Harley guys ever wear full face helmets? The only people I see wearing full face are riding "metric" bikes. When you do see a Harley guy wearing a helmet (only when required by law) it's one of those "in your face" half helmets that would only protect you if you fell off a bicycle.

A famous psychiatrist (Eric Erickson?) said all behavior has meaning. What does this behavior mean? It means "I frankly don't give a damn about myself and I don't give a damn about you." Myself because I am willing to spend the rest of my life in a constant vegetative state, and you because you are going to pay for it because I don't have any insurance. :(
A central component of H-D's marketing is to sell the lifestyle/image aspect of their products and they do so very successfully. As a result, many HD riders are buying the image as much or more as the bike. There are lots of riders who won't even look at other brands just because they aren't HD and, therefore, not part of the image/lifestyle. For example, if you randomly asked 100 people to describe what a typical HD rider looks like, you'd get a very consistent answer. If you asked them to describe what a typical Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki rider looks like, you'd get a blank stare. This is not to say all HD owners are like that. There are lots that just like a bike, they bought it, and it just happened to be a Harley.

The sad part is that the image requires a brain bucket helmet. On the other hand, how often do you see someone on a Goldwing wearing a full face helmet? So it isn't limited to the HD crowd
 
oldgoat01_imp said:
meowguy_imp said:
Why don't the Harley guys ever wear full face helmets? The only people I see wearing full face are riding "metric" bikes. When you do see a Harley guy wearing a helmet (only when required by law) it's one of those "in your face" half helmets that would only protect you if you fell off a bicycle.

A famous psychiatrist (Eric Erickson?) said all behavior has meaning. What does this behavior mean? It means "I frankly don't give a damn about myself and I don't give a damn about you." Myself because I am willing to spend the rest of my life in a constant vegetative state, and you because you are going to pay for it because I don't have any insurance. :(
A central component of H-D's marketing is to sell the lifestyle/image aspect of their products and they do so very successfully. As a result, many HD riders are buying the image as much or more as the bike. There are lots of riders who won't even look at other brands just because they aren't HD and, therefore, not part of the image/lifestyle. For example, if you randomly asked 100 people to describe what a typical HD rider looks like, you'd get a very consistent answer. If you asked them to describe what a typical Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki rider looks like, you'd get a blank stare. This is not to say all HD owners are like that. There are lots that just like a bike, they bought it, and it just happened to be a Harley.

The sad part is that the image requires a brain bucket helmet. On the other hand, how often do you see someone on a Goldwing wearing a full face helmet? So it isn't limited to the HD crowd
You are right the Goldwing crowd are into the lifestyle, but you rarely see them with no helmet even in states that do not require them. They go for an open face 3/4 most often with Blue Tooth.
 
meowguy_imp said:
Why don't the Harley guys ever wear full face helmets? The only people I see wearing full face are riding "metric" bikes. When you do see a Harley guy wearing a helmet (only when required by law) it's one of those "in your face" half helmets that would only protect you if you fell off a bicycle.

A famous psychiatrist (Eric Erickson?) said all behavior has meaning. What does this behavior mean? It means "I frankly don't give a damn about myself and I don't give a damn about you." Myself because I am willing to spend the rest of my life in a constant vegetative state, and you because you are going to pay for it because I don't have any insurance. :(
I'm a Harley guy, I only wear full-face or flip-up helmets, and I know I'm not the only one, so this categorization isn't generally true.
 
I'm a Harley guy, I only wear full-face or flip-up helmets, and I know I'm not the only one, so this categorization isn't generally true.
[/QUOTE]

I also ride a Harley from time to time and I have a cute story. I was on a group ride from LA to Milwaukee for the Harley 100th Anniversary party. My buddy Bob and I stopped at a Starbucks in Colorado and were sitting outside when a guy on a BMW airhead came over to talk to us. He looked at us (both ATTGAT) and then at our Road King and Road Glide...and then back at us. The he said he was an MSF instructor and wanted to know if we were with the Harleys. Bob said "Yeah, we're cross-dressers!" The MSF guy shook his head and didn't say another word.
On the helmet issue, I recently switched back to a Shoei RF1100 from a Nolan 103. I agree that the modulars are convenient (I wear glasses), but I only ever really needed a helmet once and I was staring at concrete 1" from my nose through my trusty Bell Star. I decided to go back to a full coverage.
 
eladoppel_imp said:
I'm a Harley guy, I only wear full-face or flip-up helmets, and I know I'm not the only one, so this categorization isn't generally true.

I also ride a Harley from time to time and I have a cute story. I was on a group ride from LA to Milwaukee for the Harley 100th Anniversary party. My buddy Bob and I stopped at a Starbucks in Colorado and were sitting outside when a guy on a BMW airhead came over to talk to us. He looked at us (both ATTGAT) and then at our Road King and Road Glide...and then back at us. The he said he was an MSF instructor and wanted to know if we were with the Harleys. Bob said "Yeah, we're cross-dressers!" The MSF guy shook his head and didn't say another word.
On the helmet issue, I recently switched back to a Shoei RF1100 from a Nolan 103. I agree that the modulars are convenient (I wear glasses), but I only ever really needed a helmet once and I was staring at concrete 1" from my nose through my trusty Bell Star. I decided to go back to a full coverage.
[/QUOTE]
That story does give me pause. My RF1100 has been sitting unused in the garage for about 6-7 years since I'd gone to flipups.. sometimes I *do* wonder..
 
FWIW, my Arai Signet-Q makes putting my eyeglasses on a snap, much easier than my previous Signet GT. The Signet-Q is the best, most comfortable helmet I've ever owned but it is pretty darn expensive...
 
I'm sorely tempted to buy an open face, either an Arai or Davida.

I've always worn Arai full face, currently have two old ones (out of date) and two new ones.

Not sure why I'm hankering for the open face. I'd only dare to use it to ride locally up to around 40-50 mph. Would I really use it ever?

Wouldn't buy a flip front. It either more of what I have, or dicing with mutilation and death in the interests of being and maybe looking cool.
 
furious_blue_imp said:
meowguy_imp said:
Why don't the Harley guys ever wear full face helmets? The only people I see wearing full face are riding "metric" bikes. When you do see a Harley guy wearing a helmet (only when required by law) it's one of those "in your face" half helmets that would only protect you if you fell off a bicycle.

A famous psychiatrist (Eric Erickson?) said all behavior has meaning. What does this behavior mean? It means "I frankly don't give a damn about myself and I don't give a damn about you." Myself because I am willing to spend the rest of my life in a constant vegetative state, and you because you are going to pay for it because I don't have any insurance. :(
I'm a Harley guy, I only wear full-face or flip-up helmets, and I know I'm not the only one, so this categorization isn't generally true.
I'm a Harley guy, I only wear full-face or flip-up helmets, and I know I'm not the only one, so this categorization isn't generally true.
That statement is absolutely generally true, but as with anything its not always true.

There are exceptions to everything, I have a buddy who loves Harleys and rides with a large group of other Harley enthusiasts, He wears a full face helmet but gets crap from his other Harley friends constantly. He's always the only rider in his group with a helmet. The vast majority of Harley riders are compelled to wear the costume.
 
I got a Shoei open face when I got the bike, but I wear glasses and putting on the goggles got to be a pain. So I got a full face Shoei Quest last early Fall and really like it. Hope I can stand it this Summer.
 
Back
Top