full leathers for winter riding...does it work?

misterprofessionality

Road warrior
Thread starter
I've been exploring a number of options for upgrading my winter gear this year. number one on the list was a set of eletrically heated winter wear (jacket, gloves, maybe overpants). However I've recently encounted a set of full riding leathers (one piece) for an incredible price. I've never had cause to own one of these, and I don't go to the track, but when i tried it on i felt instantly hot and insulated. i would never wear this thing in the summer. That's when i got to thinking.....is it good for winter? i'm now considering it as an all-encompasing winter riding solution. am i crazy? do these things work in the winter?

Here it is:

Motorcycle Race Suits - Cycle Gear

obviously i'm only considering buying it at all because of the incredible price, so i'm not really interested in looking at other one-piece suits, because i know they'll be way out of budget. I just want to know if anybody has ever tried wearing something like this in sub-40 degrees F and can give an accurate account of whether or not it's warm in there.
 
I wore leathers exclusively (two piece) until about fifteen years ago. I froze at temps below about 45 degrees F, even with heated gear underneath. And always stopping to put on rain gear was a pain.

I still have my leathers (and somehow still fit in them) but I'm a convert to armored Cordura / Gore-Tex. I still get chilled, but I'm less miserable when temps dip into the 30's, plus I no longer have to stop and put on rain gear.
 
Thread starter
Longranger, Are you able to draw a comparison between the warmth of your leathers and starndard textile winter gear? i can't really orient based on high end gortex/cordura stuff because i've never worn it. I'm able to get along in sub-30 degrees using leather jackets with a light down layer underneath, and i'm trying to see if the leather one-piece would be an improvement over that.
 
For me, the key difference is layering. With my current gear, there's room for an extra fleece jacket and thermals, plus my heated underlayers. The armor simply cinches down to accommodate. With properly fitting leathers, there is less room, plus the suit becomes stiff once you have to stuff yourself into it.

My motivation to change was mostly to avoid having to rely on rain gear.
 
I think it really depends on what winter means in your area. Winter in Atlanta is a lot different than winter in Chicago.

I love leather, grew up wearing leather when I rode (and still wear it occasionally), but like LR find about 45 degrees to be the lower limit on leather, and about 85 the upper limit. In addition unless you get the expensive water proof leather, it gets very wet in a rainstorm, soaks through, gets very heavy, and takes a lonnngg time to dry out.

Leather one pieces are generally made for racing and are a thinner leather than most street duty leather jackets.
 
Thread starter
ah, i see what you mean. over the years i've stopped attempting to prepare for rain. i just get wet and that's that. this is because i'm out every single day and i've grown tired of trying to gear up for it. i think you've hit the right note when you mentioned layering, though. i've always found that the key to staying warm is a hard layer (leather or textile?) over an air gap (light down works best). my idea was to wear the leathers most of the year, and the few weeks where it dips into 30 degrees i would add the light down layer, which compresses nicely under stiff leather jackets in my experience.

based on your report though if i wanted to do this i might need yet further layering. perhaps even something worn over the leathers. that complicates things. once there's another garment involved the "deal" i'm getting isn't quite so attractive, although the one piece leathers still provide more crash protection than ANY of the winter gear i've looked at.

ferret, for reference, winter in Charleston is anywhere between 75 degrees and 30 degrees, it swings violently and unpredictably, the 30 degree weather is very seldom ever sustained, and typically only encountered in the early mornings.
 
Layers. I wear an Olympia jacket and pants, both of which are designed to flow air through their large mesh panels and provide impact and abrasion protection. I don't typically wear the pants to work because I can wear jeans to work and it's a short low-speed commute. In summer, it's a t-shirt and shorts under the jacket/pants. In spring fall, I may have jeans and a long sleeve t-shirt underneath, but I may have a wind/waterproof liners as my mid-layer. If it's cooler, then a fleece goes under the wind layer....unless it's REALLY cold (below freezing), then I put my rain gear on over the jacket/pants with an insulating layer as my base layer.

Addendum: I have a heated jacket and gloves now that replace the insulating layer in the cold weather. I do not find the need for heated pants, but I am considering heated socks for next winter.
 
I have both a leather jacket and an RST Ventilator 3 mesh jacket which comes with both a waterproof/windproof layer and a down thermal layer. I can't prove it, but I suspect the mesh jacket with both layers inside is actually warmer than the leather one. It's certainly cooler with the layers out!
 
Thread starter
i think the pertinent question is: is the leather jacket warmer than the mesh when it has insulating layers in . that's my plan, anyway:

base layer will be thermal longjohns, next, a waterproof light down, leather one piece on top. my instincts tell me that's as warm as i can possibley get.
 
Leather without some form of insulation is cold. I find lined deerskin suede gloves are warmer than lined leather gloves in cold weather. When it is really cold I wear fleece lined deerskin suede gloves. The more air you can trap in gloves, the warmer your fingers are going stay.

I wear Cabelas flannel lined jeans in cool weather. I buy them 2 inches longer than normal so they don't pull tight on my knees or let cold air up my shins. If the weather warms in the afternoon they are still comfortable. In cold weather I wear long underwear under them. Tall boots are a must to keep the wind from chilling your shins.

I wear a tight fitting down filled jacket under my leather jacket, and a long sleeve T-shirt under a flannel shirt. The down filled jacket stops the cold wind from passing through the leather jacket zippers and keeps the small of my back warm. Layers can be removed if the weather warms in the afternoon.

If the weather changes for the worst, adding a rain suit will cut the wind chill considerably.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
Leather without some form of insulation is cold. I find lined deerskin suede gloves are warmer than lined leather gloves in cold weather. When it is really cold I wear fleece lined deerskin suede gloves. The more air you can trap in gloves, the warmer your fingers are going stay.

I wear Cabelas flannel lined jeans in cool weather. I buy them 2 inches longer than normal so they don't pull tight on my knees or let cold air up my shins. If the weather warms in the afternoon they are still comfortable. In cold weather I wear long underwear under them. Tall boots are a must to keep the wind from chilling your shins.

I wear a tight fitting down filled jacket under my leather jacket, and a long sleeve T-shirt under a flannel shirt. The down filled jacket stops the cold wind from passing through the leather jacket zippers and keeps the small of my back warm. Layers can be removed if the weather warms in the afternoon.

If the weather changes for the worst, adding a rain suit will cut the wind chill considerably.
Or you could move south ! (just kidding )
 
Electrically heated clothing.

A medical problem almost stopped my motorcycling. I initially made my own heated clothing (easy with Constantan resistance wire) but now buy the commercial ones.

No more bulky "winter" clothing - normal gear, a one-piece rainsuit and heated underjacket/gloves/whatever is all you need. Also good for mountain rides when you start off, baking on a desert floor, then climb to a snow-line and back. Just turn the heat up as necessary! :D
 
Thread starter
Bazbro_imp said:
Electrically heated clothing.

A medical problem almost stopped my motorcycling. I initially made my own heated clothing (easy with Constantan resistance wire) but now buy the commercial ones.

No more bulky "winter" clothing - normal gear, a one-piece rainsuit and heated underjacket/gloves/whatever is all you need. Also good for mountain rides when you start off, baking on a desert floor, then climb to a snow-line and back. Just turn the heat up as necessary! :D
that was the original plan. here's the thing though: the best i could do for a complete set of that was around $600. that's fine and all. i'm sure it's worth it. however, when i found this leather suit, it turned out i was able to get it for less than 200 (with boots). it's worth considering using it instead of the heated gear, considering the degree of crash protection in the one piece is actually higher.

i'm not trying to determine if the leather one piece is *best.* i know it's not. that's very clear to me. i'm just trying to determine whether or not it's *adequate*
 
TINK_imp said:
One word; AEROSTICH
You drive for Nascar too? :rofl:

j/k Tink, but Aerostitch clothing by itself is not winter gear back east, without heated gear under it. Maybe in So Cal it's good for winter
 
Brazbro nailed it. Electrics really reduce the bulk and truly keep you warm.

I bought the cyclegear brand jacket liner (with sleeves) and glove liners. Added a different brands wireless controller as the button thing on the cyclegear brand was a pain.

A couple years ago I picked up the Aerostich Darian light pants. Last year I added their fleece pants liner (more like pajamas) and that solved my cold legs. They were not cold enough to warrant the electric liner and oddly enough seem to add little bulk. Maybe because I'm skinny. :)

A buddy with tons more experience than I has switched to Klim jackets from Aerostich (he still prefers their pants) saying they are superior. I still have a Road Gear jacket that works great for heavy duty use. A First Gear adventure jacket I really like, and a couple others that are cut shorter I use for warmer rides near town. I'm kinda jacket rich.

I did pick up a Sedici jacket and matching pants (leather). For the most part they work well but are not warm enough (they are vented) in the cooler temps and certainly too hot when spring hits in Phoenix (high summer for the rest of you, summer is more like He*l than an actual season :D ) and my left knee gets very irritated in the leathers after about 40 minutes (thigh bone is too long for their cut) so I'm kinda looking for a better alternative in leather. For those times I'd like to wear leather (riding times........).

I need to add, Cyclegear improved their freeze out neck thing (AXIAL Block Neck Warmer - Cycle Gear) and it is very effective. When it is really cold I wear a fleece turtle neck under it, otherwise just the neck protector. If you pull it up so that it covers your chin with the helmet on you simply do not get cold air drafts around your neck. Superb piece of kit. Seems to cut down on road noise too so you get a two-fer.
 
This is a really great English site for motorcycle clothing, with some great articles. This just happens to be very pertinent with your query about "leathers".

If I were a Police motorcyclist...

Back in the '60s/'70s, British motorcycle police wore nylon jackets (styled similar to Belstaff trials waxed cotton gear) while German motorcycle police had beautiful leather suits. British motorcycle police now ride in beautiful leather suits BUT... German police now have textile suits (as this article explains)!!

I hope it helps you come to a good decision.
I still highly recommend heated clothing, along with a lighter weight waterproof jacket/trousers/gloves (or a lightweight nylon waterproof oversuit for rain).
 
Here in SoCal, it doesn't get too cold, and since I ride for fun, not for transportation, I can pick and choose my weather, but several years ago my wife found a pair of lined black leather jeans at a local yard sale. They're a bit too large, but they allow room to move and a pair of sweat pants underneath as insulation, and with a black leather jacket are very nice in 50 degrees or so that we get in the local mountains and high desert.
 
Back
Top