Fueling and Air overhaul imminent. looking for any advice

Thread starter
because a cb1000R fails in other aspects of daily life that the Cb11 succeeds at. more importantly, my CB11 cost me 7.5k and a CB1000R would be 13k or so....basically, i'm a daily commuter and the CB11 does a better job of that than the CB1000R.

That doesn't mean there aren't ways to make a bike better, though. anything can be improved. just because i'd like to have more power doesn't mean i'm going to the track. you're assuming the extreme end of something when all i want is a grey area. I just want my CB11 to be the best version of itself (without making such extreme changes that it compromises its good points). i've got a clear path to getting 15-18 more horsepower and as much as 50lbs less weight, so i'm going to pursue it. that means better handling and better acceleration from 0-90, which is where i live. keep in mind, i'm on this bike as much as 40-50 miles every single day. any improvement has a cumulative positive effect on my life, so it's worth it.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
because a cb1000R fails in other aspects of daily life that the Cb11 succeeds at. more importantly, my CB11 cost me 7.5k and a CB1000R would be 13k or so....basically, i'm a daily commuter and the CB11 does a better job of that than the CB1000R.

That doesn't mean there aren't ways to make a bike better, though. anything can be improved. just because i'd like to have more power doesn't mean i'm going to the track. you're assuming the extreme end of something when all i want is a grey area. I just want my CB11 to be the best version of itself (without making such extreme changes that it compromises its good points). i've got a clear path to getting 15-18 more horsepower and as much as 50lbs less weight, so i'm going to pursue it. that means better handling and better acceleration from 0-90, which is where i live. keep in mind, i'm on this bike as much as 40-50 miles every single day. any improvement has a cumulative positive effect on my life, so it's worth it.
Our bikes tend to reflect who we are. Your plan is no exception and we likely all wish to make our CBs stand apart from others. In your case, you just may end up with the quickest street stock CB1100 on the road. :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
because a cb1000R fails in other aspects of daily life that the Cb11 succeeds at. more importantly, my CB11 cost me 7.5k and a CB1000R would be 13k or so....basically, i'm a daily commuter and the CB11 does a better job of that than the CB1000R.

That doesn't mean there aren't ways to make a bike better, though. anything can be improved. just because i'd like to have more power doesn't mean i'm going to the track. you're assuming the extreme end of something when all i want is a grey area. I just want my CB11 to be the best version of itself (without making such extreme changes that it compromises its good points). i've got a clear path to getting 15-18 more horsepower and as much as 50lbs less weight, so i'm going to pursue it. that means better handling and better acceleration from 0-90, which is where i live. keep in mind, i'm on this bike as much as 40-50 miles every single day. any improvement has a cumulative positive effect on my life, so it's worth it.
Our bikes tend to reflect who we are. Your plan is no exception and we likely all wish to make our CBs stand apart from others. In your case, you just may end up with the quickest street stock CB1100 on the road. :thumbsup:
i doubt quickest. i don't have the mechanical chops to make extreme cam mods like PowerDubs did or do any head work as others have discussed. I'm just focused on handling performance and acceleration from 0-90.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
because a cb1000R fails in other aspects of daily life that the Cb11 succeeds at. more importantly, my CB11 cost me 7.5k and a CB1000R would be 13k or so....basically, i'm a daily commuter and the CB11 does a better job of that than the CB1000R.

That doesn't mean there aren't ways to make a bike better, though. anything can be improved. just because i'd like to have more power doesn't mean i'm going to the track. you're assuming the extreme end of something when all i want is a grey area. I just want my CB11 to be the best version of itself (without making such extreme changes that it compromises its good points). i've got a clear path to getting 15-18 more horsepower and as much as 50lbs less weight, so i'm going to pursue it. that means better handling and better acceleration from 0-90, which is where i live. keep in mind, i'm on this bike as much as 40-50 miles every single day. any improvement has a cumulative positive effect on my life, so it's worth it.
How much do you plan to spend ?
 
Thread starter
DBM_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
because a cb1000R fails in other aspects of daily life that the Cb11 succeeds at. more importantly, my CB11 cost me 7.5k and a CB1000R would be 13k or so....basically, i'm a daily commuter and the CB11 does a better job of that than the CB1000R.

That doesn't mean there aren't ways to make a bike better, though. anything can be improved. just because i'd like to have more power doesn't mean i'm going to the track. you're assuming the extreme end of something when all i want is a grey area. I just want my CB11 to be the best version of itself (without making such extreme changes that it compromises its good points). i've got a clear path to getting 15-18 more horsepower and as much as 50lbs less weight, so i'm going to pursue it. that means better handling and better acceleration from 0-90, which is where i live. keep in mind, i'm on this bike as much as 40-50 miles every single day. any improvement has a cumulative positive effect on my life, so it's worth it.
How much do you plan to spend ?
this mod isn't going to be more than 1500, making it the most expensive single project i will undertake.

the worst part of the weight reduction will be the wheels, which I can get for 800 or so. the swingarm is so far out that i'm not sure which one to buy, and the price range is pretty wide, so i won't comment, but by the time it's all said and done i still will not have spent 11k on this bike (the original MSRP IIRC) in total (including purchasing the bike). keep in mind the mod i'm talking about doing in this thread is all i'm going to do this year. weight reduction the following year, maybe a bit more the year after that. if i did every single mod i could think of right this second, i'd still be spending over 1000 less than somebody that bought a complete K10 conversion kit. (which is purely for aesthetics.)
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
DBM_imp said:
Why do you want/need more power? Are you racing your UJM? Why not buy a CB1000R and call it a day?
Here we go. There's one in every crowd.
Here we go. There's one in every crowd. I've got all you mugs fooled. I'm actually in the process of fitting a super charger to my bike and l plan to run nitro methane fuel. Anybody wanna race?
 
Thread starter
m in sc_imp said:
DBM_imp said:
Why do you want/need more power? Are you racing your UJM? Why not buy a CB1000R and call it a day?
same reason i hot rodded my grom, or rd, or anything else I own. because.. its fun. the CB1100 has LOTS or untapped potential power and performance wise. Uncorking that will to some, make the bike more fun. Same reason i stuffed a 4 barrel on my 390 66 galaxie a few mos ago. It'll never be 'fast' but it sure is fun. :clap::banana:
from what i've read about your RD it seems like it'd be genuinely fast, though.
 
m in sc_imp said:
i said the galaxie wasnt fast... :D
the white rd is faster than the 1100. it will beat it top end by about 12 mph . Not too shabby for a 45 year old 350 :thanks:
RD is a killer machine. My first bike was the '76 400. Will never forget it.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
m in sc_imp said:
i said the galaxie wasnt fast... :D
the white rd is faster than the 1100. it will beat it top end by about 12 mph . Not too shabby for a 45 year old 350 :thanks:
RD is a killer machine. My first bike was the '76 400. Will never forget it.
RD is a killer machine. My first bike was the '76 400. Will never forget it.
^^ agree with that
:)
 
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
m in sc_imp said:
i said the galaxie wasnt fast... :D
the white rd is faster than the 1100. it will beat it top end by about 12 mph . Not too shabby for a 45 year old 350 :thanks:
RD is a killer machine. My first bike was the '76 400. Will never forget it.
RD is a killer machine. My first bike was the '76 400. Will never forget it.
^^ agree with that
:)
RD is a killer machine. My first bike was the '76 400. Will never forget it.
^^ agree with that
:)
"Killer" in more ways than one. :s
 
I never got the custom map because the rev limiter cut in while the bike was on the dyno. The reflash process had not yet been figured out so I went with the TSR (Japan) map on the power commander.

I am still running this setup and it works great.

Basic hot rodding

More fuel and air in, less restriction going out.
 
Hello All: I am planning to do this exact same thing. I have installed the Yoshimura full exhaust and already bought the both TSR kits and K&N Filter. Unfortunately I cannot do the work till later this year due to my job as a sailor.

I will be very interested as to what you do to the engine controls... Buy a separate Dyno Jet item or reprogram the original computer control. My plan was to reprogram sending it to Guhl Motors.

But I will read this post with much excitement!
 
Thread starter
Teamvisegrip:

Just to make this point there's a huge difference between what HondaJon did and what you're talking about, and it's the Catalyzed converter. the Motogear titanium headers have no cat installed, while the Yoshi pipes do. If you want to get the maximum effect out of this, you'll want to get a set of pipes with no cat, or have the cat removed from your yoshi pipes. somebody can correct me if i'm wrong about the Yoshi pipes having a cat.

Also, I'll say that my plan as stated was to use a Piggyback dyno system like Power Commander rather than have the existing system reprogrammed.
HondaJon_imp said:
I never got the custom map because the rev limiter cut in while the bike was on the dyno. The reflash process had not yet been figured out so I went with the TSR (Japan) map on the power commander.

I am still running this setup and it works great.

Basic hot rodding

More fuel and air in, less restriction going out.
Jon, thanks for that explanation. i honestly don't care about the rev or speed limiter on my bike, because i know i'll never take the bike past 100 let alone past the speed limiter. I'm also not a fan of revving my engine past what's healthy for it, so if my horsepower limitates are hard-coded at that level then i can accept that.
 
misterprofessionality I thought that I had made a mistake... I bought the Yoshimura Full Exhaust just to eventually do the rest. Personally I bought the Yoshimura pipe on looks alone as I just love the vintage look. I did not even ride the bike before I put the pipe on! LOL!

After reading your post I was worried my plan would not go as I had wanted. Went to the Yoshimura sight and read about the pipe again. No mention of a Catalytic Converter in there. So I wanted to be sure and emailed them. Here is the reply for all out there.

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your Yoshimura purchase. That exhaust for the Honda CB1100 does not come with a catalytic converter. It is an open exhaust with the race baffle at the muffler section of the exhaust.

I hope this helps you with your questions.

Thank you,
Don Franzen
Sales Representative
 
Thread starter
So, for swapping out my exhaust, air filters, funnel, velocity stacks, and installing a Power commander, all my research and anxiety has yielded the following shopping list. I think this is really everything I need.

Just for my selfish benefit, if you were doing this job, what would you also have on this list? :thanks:

service manual

[url=https://www.samurider.com/?p=16803]TSR funnel

[url=https://www.samurider.com/?p=16781]TSR velocity stacks

[url=https://www.knfilters.com/air-filters/honda/cb1100/1140/2014]K&N Air filter

[url=https://www.ebay.com/i/173109586539?chn=ps]Spare airbox parts

[url=https://www.denniskirk.com/dynojet/power-commander-v-16-040.p2001544.prd/2001544.sku?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7YblBRDFARIsAKkK-dLHMSpr_XfsjAGDaYRDxgGRpN4DADYD695aQuqXCUH--0Ioa_DYsUEaAqiUEALw_wcB]Power Commander V (sans autotune. after everybody's advice, the strongest advocacy was to try it with the pre-loaded TSR map.)

[url=https://www.samurider.com/?p=15371]The almighty Titanium Headers

[url=https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/18291-MM5-860?ref=1af1cfd9645bc12c317878f690ce4575c930bc04]Spare Gaskets for the exhaust

[url=https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0549]spring puller for installation

[url=https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-19-Piece-Metric-Polished-Chrome-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set/50200801]basic tools

[url=https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-3-8-in-Drive-Click-Torque-Wrench-20-ft-lb-to-100-ft-lb/1000259427]torque wrench

[url=https://www.acehardware.com/departments/automotive-rv-and-marine/auto-tools-and-maintenance/auto-body-repair/80355?x429=true&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwODlBRDuARIsAMy_28XM276ZKQajtNQOP-NDj1vC-OS5Qxh_qd4z_VMX4p1h9a55-Ef0hGgaAlJxEALw_wcB]exhaust sealant goop
 
Back
Top