Fueling and Air overhaul imminent. looking for any advice

misterprofessionality

Road warrior
Thread starter
So, I've decided to put my custom front fender idea on hold, on account of it being dependent upon my final paint job, which i'm not yet ready for. Instead, i'm moving on to the next big item, which is a fueling, air, and exhaust upgrade. on my list are:

TSR air funnels

TSR intake opening

K&n performance filter

Power Commander V, hopefully with a custom map

Moto gear Titanium Cat-free headers

I've got high hopes for this upgrade, and i've been reading a lot, including but not limited to these threads by Hondajohn and CB4ME:

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2407

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1786

I'm still weighing the idea of getting a custom map on the PCV, or sticking with the pre-loaded map. Hondajohn's 97 rwhp results from his original version of this upgrade are extra promising, and he didn't even use the TSR bells or a custom map if i'm understanding that correctly. I may be able to achieve even better results. I'm also mulling a front sprocket change alongside this set up upgrades, just to get the most out of my increased throttle response.

At any rate, i'm making this thread as a place where people can offer advice or tips on which parts to use or warn me off any bad ideas i might be presenting here. I'm especially interested in input from anybody who's done a similar cat-free upgrade with a custom map and can comment on whether or not the dyno-tuning service is really worth it in this case.

Thanks for everybody's input! :biker:
 
If you are putting in all that effort I would pay for a custom map.

I did a very similar set of mods and paid to have it mapped on a dyno.

One last mod that will give the bike some get up and go is to drop a tooth on the front sprocket.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I did all those mods too. You'll feel a massive difference. One thing that really worked with my bike was a Dynojet Wideband O2 Commander. It really made the pick up from low revs and small throttle opening work better. I fitted it post Dyno time and a Map. I just kept the map that was worked out on the dyno.

Losing weight is also a good idea and will liven the bike up similarly.
 
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
I did all those mods too. You'll feel a massive difference. One thing that really worked with my bike was a Dynojet Wideband O2 Commander. It really made the pick up from low revs and small throttle opening work better. I fitted it post Dyno time and a Map. I just kept the map that was worked out on the dyno.

Losing weight is also a good idea and will liven the bike up similarly.
With losing weight , do you mean the bike or the owner ?
 
the owner of course......or self, my self...i can lose no problem 10kg and i am not yet underweight by BMI....:clap:.....:D..:D..:D..:P..
 
Houtman_imp said:
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
I did all those mods too. You'll feel a massive difference. One thing that really worked with my bike was a Dynojet Wideband O2 Commander. It really made the pick up from low revs and small throttle opening work better. I fitted it post Dyno time and a Map. I just kept the map that was worked out on the dyno.

Losing weight is also a good idea and will liven the bike up similarly.
With losing weight , do you mean the bike or the owner ?
With losing weight , do you mean the bike or the owner ?
Ha! Sorry, the bike. I didn't think about that... although it isn't a bad idea. 10kgs is 10HP or something like this isn't it?
 
Thread starter
chync_imp said:
If you are putting in all that effort I would pay for a custom map.

I did a very similar set of mods and paid to have it mapped on a dyno.

One last mod that will give the bike some get up and go is to drop a tooth on the front sprocket.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I was thinking too. HondaJohn's thread ended before he ever reported the results of a real custom mapped dyno with his setup, so I just don't know how much gain over his reported 97rwhp i should expect from the custom map. 1 hp? 2? does it matter? this is what keeps me up at night.

as for the front sprocket, i had designs on exactly that change, I was just looking for somebody to tell me some specifics. Drop one tooth eh? i'll say, my real goal is to get maximum performance between 0 and 90, since that's where i always live. it would be a rare day indeed if this bike ever accelerated beyond 90mph, so i'm not too concerned with performance outside that range. the sprocket change seems ideal for those conditions.

beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
I did all those mods too. You'll feel a massive difference. One thing that really worked with my bike was a Dynojet Wideband O2 Commander. It really made the pick up from low revs and small throttle opening work better. I fitted it post Dyno time and a Map. I just kept the map that was worked out on the dyno.

Losing weight is also a good idea and will liven the bike up similarly.
the weight pass is already beginning. my new muffler (alerady installed) is only 1.8 kg and the titanium headers are only 2kg. after that i have massive plans to drop weight, but i won't be able to afford it until next year. it's going to be expensive.

I'm also losing weight myself. approximately 40lbs is going to come off in total. so 40-50 lbs off the bike, and 40-50 lbs off me....it's going to feel like a GSXR.
 
chync_imp said:
If you are putting in all that effort I would pay for a custom map.

I did a very similar set of mods and paid to have it mapped on a dyno.

One last mod that will give the bike some get up and go is to drop a tooth on the front sprocket.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I decided to add two teeth to the rear, thinking it would be the least radical. I am happy with the results but plan to drop one in the front, as well, just to see how it feels. I built this chart to get an idea of the effects of the different combinations.
83dc3e5d2a7c1fe7ac9781afcae41874.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
I did all those mods too. You'll feel a massive difference. One thing that really worked with my bike was a Dynojet Wideband O2 Commander. It really made the pick up from low revs and small throttle opening work better. I fitted it post Dyno time and a Map. I just kept the map that was worked out on the dyno.

Losing weight is also a good idea and will liven the bike up similarly.
With losing weight , do you mean the bike or the owner ?
With losing weight , do you mean the bike or the owner ?
Ha! Sorry, the bike. I didn't think about that... although it isn't a bad idea. 10kgs is 10HP or something like this isn't it?
Ha! Sorry, the bike. I didn't think about that... although it isn't a bad idea. 10kgs is 10HP or something like this isn't it?
lol ... with that math I have blown the hp budget every time I saddle up. :)
 
Can someone explain why using something like the Dynojet is better than just having the ECU reflashed with a new map?
 
Losing weight makes me feel hungry , with the heavy CB 1100 and my own weight I just get to the restaurant a little later , no big deal.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Can someone explain why using something like the Dynojet is better than just having the ECU reflashed with a new map?
I have no idea; but I suspect it may be that it’s user adjustable and you can tinker with it at home without having to pull the ECU and send it off somewhere.
 
Cormanus, you are most likely correct. Thinking about it, didn’t one or more members say you can jack it into you PC and adjust fuel tables?
 
Thread starter
popgun,

I've been reading about the PCV a lot more lately and that is indeed the whole point of using it. you can adjust fuel tables and settings manually, or download pre-tweaked maps directly to it that were designed by experts. it's my intention to try that first, and see if my results are favorable, then take it to a real dyno a bit later to see if my results can be improved.

in fact, if anybody has completed a similar mod (cat-free exhaust, tsr funnels, k&n filter, PCV) on a 6-speed i would be very interesting in downloading your PCV map to use as a reference.
 
If you are considering changing the gearing , you would be advised to consider the effect on sprocket v chain wear. For example if your gearbox sprocket was 15T and your rear sprocket was 45T then the same part of the chain is hitting the same part of the sprockets far too often and will lead to premature wear compared to say a 15T/44T combo. I don't know if this link is allowed but you can have hours of fun playing with the numbers...

Gearing Commander - Motorcycle Speed and Drive Train Calculator v7
 
the lodger_imp said:
If you are considering changing the gearing , you would be advised to consider the effect on sprocket v chain wear. For example if your gearbox sprocket was 15T and your rear sprocket was 45T then the same part of the chain is hitting the same part of the sprockets far too often and will lead to premature wear compared to say a 15T/44T combo. I don't know if this link is allowed but you can have hours of fun playing with the numbers...

Gearing Commander - Motorcycle Speed and Drive Train Calculator v7
That is an interesting URL lodger :thumbsup:
 
That's what I was thinking too. HondaJohn's thread ended before he ever reported the results of a real custom mapped dyno with his setup, so I just don't know how much gain over his reported 97rwhp i should expect from the custom map. 1 hp? 2? does it matter? this is what keeps me up at night.

as for the front sprocket, i had designs on exactly that change, I was just looking for somebody to tell me some specifics. Drop one tooth eh? i'll say, my real goal is to get maximum performance between 0 and 90, since that's where i always live. it would be a rare day indeed if this bike ever accelerated beyond 90mph, so i'm not too concerned with performance outside that range. the sprocket change seems ideal for those conditions.

I'm fairly sure I did 3 on the back and 1 on the front, I have posted a thread about it. I wanted to be at a certain revs and gear at 30mph, for town riding. It picks up much faster. The main place that I saw a change was in the 90-120+ range. The gearing and extra BHP made the bike zip up there in seconds.
 
Thread starter
ok. i'm going to bank that as useful information for now and return to it when it's time to buy parts, because i think i fully understood maybe 60% of that explanation. I'm buying what you're selling though, it sounds a lot more like how i'd like the bike to behave. thanks for that.
 
Back
Top