Fuel Tanks & Seats on Different Models

Cormanus

Administrator
Staff member
Thread starter
Thanks very much to peterbaron for this summary which I’ve copied from the For Sale section to preserve it for posterity.

Similar data on seats (kindly provided by Houtman) appears below.

 
Thanks Cormanus.

I'd like to add that I categorized by fitment not part number and I did this research more than a year ago, when I was planning to install the '17 tank on my '14 CB.
Hope it helps.
 
Thread starter
I think, but I can't sure, that the 16.8 or 17L seamed tank is from the 2017 CB1100 STD sold pretty much only in Japan. Probably the only place to buy it would be via MrT.
 
Is that bigger than the dlx tank?

Pics?

I’d love a bigger tank, but picky about the looks.

I hate filling gas on a bike. Always have.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Is that bigger than the dlx tank?

Pics?

I’d love a bigger tank, but picky about the looks.

I hate filling gas on a bike. Always have.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it was aesthetically possible, a Camel Tank could be another option to explore:

 
Thread starter
It appears from information provided by Houtman (thanks, mate) that the seats from the 2010-2016 standard models, the 2014 DLX and the 2017 EX are interchangeable. That is, the pan and the hardware are the same.

There is no guarantee that they will look good—the different lines of the seat garnish have been noted as an issue when installing a DLX seat on the standard bike—but they will fit.

At this stage, there's no information on the RS models. If anyone int the UK or Europe is ever able to test interchangeability between the STD, EX and RS seats, perhaps you would be kind and update this thread.

 
Samurider got back to me. Tank is available. 3 liters bigger than the 14 standard tank. Would cost about $1100 shipped because of Covid he has to do UPS for shipping which costs more.

So depending on riding style- about 30 extra miles?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Samurider got back to me. Tank is available. 3 liters bigger than the 14 standard tank. Would cost about $1100 shipped because of Covid he has to do UPS for shipping which costs more.

So depending on riding style- about 30 extra miles?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Think 30 miles 50km is about right according to my fuel mileage. Don't think it's worth the investment. 20-21l tank I'd consider, get another 60-70 miles, maybe I'll have someone fabricate one

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
I’m not going to change my tank, but an extra 50-60 kms would make a big difference.
 
Thread starter
I guess. Or get off and push for a bit. :biker:
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I guess. Or get off and push for a bit. :biker:
Thankfully, I have never run out of gas on a bike or cage. The closest I came was flooding the engine, both bike and cage. :-/ (took a bit of time to restart)

I have run out of gas running the lawn mower.
 
What do other street bikes offer in terms of miles/km before you hit the reserve ? Is 270 km or 170 miles really such a low value ? ... and 340 km using most of the reserve ?
I have to admit, my bu..ocks (and some other parts) are typically hurting before the tank is run empty. But of course, there is always a gas station around were I ride.
 
The R1200R I sold to buy the CB would take 5 gallons on fill-up. The gas light would start flashing around 240, and I'd gas up at 250. That is, when the gas gauge wasn't flipping out. The tank looked cartoonishly bulged out when you looked at the bike square-on from the front, but it blended nicely at any other angle.

That was nice and convenient, but by the time I bought the CB, I had returned to a commute that put a gas station in front of me when I got off the freeway near home, so going back to a bike with 150 range wasn't a bother. That's the same range I get with my Bonneville.
 
I guess the concern of any manufacturer is not so much weight of gas (in a bigger tank) but the COG moving up with a bigger tank.
 
Samurider wrote back and said that volume isn't anymore than just a DLX tank.

I am going to write back and confirm- so it is a dlx tank with a different paint job? Or a different shape than the STD and DLX- but same volume as the DLX...
 
Back
Top