Fuel Injection Problem with a 2014 California model

Tortuga_imp said:
Dave_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
What colour is it? I heard some reports of the red ones being a little 'limp' in the midrange and lower revs :-/
It's the red, 2014 Deluxe model.
It's the red, 2014 Deluxe model.

There's your problem, right there. Buy some white paint, instant Turbo effect! :biker:
It's the red, 2014 Deluxe model.

There's your problem, right there. Buy some white paint, instant Turbo effect! :biker:
White? WHITE?????

Black is known to be the fastest colour.
 
736cc_imp said:
In 1985 I bought my dream bike, a Suzuki XN85 w/ less than 100 miles from a private party. It started no problem but when I took it for its 1st ride after trailering it home, it ran terrible. 1 cylinder was not firing. I spent an hour wiggling wires and when I wiggled all of the fuel injectors, one was a little loose; the little retaining clip went "CLICK" and it ran perfect ever since.
what a gorgeous bike!
I found this ..looking it up! Wild era for sure.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.htm...s&A=110613
 
I would have the dealer check the TPS. Sounds like it might need adjusting at 3/4 to full throttle it runs good.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also check for vaccum leaks if it idles rough. I bet it's something simple I'm leaning towards the TPS one other thing which I'm not sure if your bike has one but it could being a Cali bike if it has a EGR valve it could be stuck open causing a vaccum leak if it has a vaccum hose going to it unplug the hose and run it with hose plugged with a screw. I would not worry honda will fix it. Please let us know what you find out.
Michael


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also check this at night in the dark ! Let it idle check by looking at all plugs and wires and look for sparking in the dark when the rpms are up high you might not can feel it because of the other 3 pulling the motor harder. It's a quick check and simple. Again let us know what you find
Michael


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Ridem32_imp said:
I would have the dealer check the TPS. Sounds like it might need adjusting at 3/4 to full throttle it runs good.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also check for vaccum leaks if it idles rough. I bet it's something simple I'm leaning towards the TPS one other thing which I'm not sure if your bike has one but it could being a Cali bike if it has a EGR valve it could be stuck open causing a vaccum leak if it has a vaccum hose going to it unplug the hose and run it with hose plugged with a screw. I would not worry honda will fix it. Please let us know what you find out.
Michael


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also check this at night in the dark ! Let it idle check by looking at all plugs and wires and look for sparking in the dark when the rpms are up high you might not can feel it because of the other 3 pulling the motor harder. It's a quick check and simple. Again let us know what you find
Michael


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're bringing down the general level of silliness with a sensible helpful answer like that, you do realise? :shy:
 
There is no procedure for adjusting the TPS in the service manual. It says that messing with any of the screws on the throttle body will mess up the adjustments. OK, that isn't very technical, but I can't remember what it says EXACTLY without looking. Apparently you have to change out the entire assembly. I think this was discussed a little last year.

Also, the TPS is not listed as a separate part on the fiche.
 
Wayne,

What does that do? Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to learn.
 
tps sends voltage .3 at idle to 5 volts wide open throttle computer then decides how long to open enjectors, on my 96c.i. hd i went the other way to give the bike more fuel, and it still passed emissions.
 
Thread starter
Ridem32_imp said:
I would have the dealer check the TPS. Sounds like it might need adjusting at 3/4 to full throttle it runs good.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also check for vaccum leaks if it idles rough. I bet it's something simple I'm leaning towards the TPS one other thing which I'm not sure if your bike has one but it could being a Cali bike if it has a EGR valve it could be stuck open causing a vaccum leak if it has a vaccum hose going to it unplug the hose and run it with hose plugged with a screw. I would not worry honda will fix it. Please let us know what you find out.
Michael


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also check this at night in the dark ! Let it idle check by looking at all plugs and wires and look for sparking in the dark when the rpms are up high you might not can feel it because of the other 3 pulling the motor harder. It's a quick check and simple. Again let us know what you find
Michael


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Michael, thank you very much for your suggestions. The bike is at the dealer right now and I'm hoping for the best. I'll post the news as soon as I hear something.
 
Thread starter
Ridem32_imp said:
Any word on your bike ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Michael. The dealer inspected my bike and said it was "normal". It's actually running "slightly" better after I put more miles on it, and the sputtering has reduced slightly. However, I am convinced my bike is running excessively lean below 3000 RPM. I told the dealer if he let me ride the 2013 (used) model they had on the floor and it ran the same then I would be convinced, but they wouldn't let me ride it. I had the service writer ride my bike and when he came back he agreed that the power dropped-off below 3000 RPM, and it sounded like it was running lean, and he agreed to contact Honda directly and talk to them. I am waiting to hear back from then at the moment.

Can those of you on this forum who read this reply to this question, please? If you accelerate moderately through the gears, and shift up just above 3000 RPM (causing the RPM to drop down to about 2,500) does you bike suddenly feel like the power drops off significantly? Just as an example, my bike feels like one of the cylinders stops running (I know it doesn't, but the lack of power is that noticeable). Once the RPM increase above 3000 the motor begins making good power again, and it runs fine.

I have ridden an air-cooled Yamaha XS1100 (1978), and this bike pulled cleanly and smoothly from idle. I expected my 26 year newer, fuel-injected 1100cc Honda to make at least the same power, and it doesn't. I viewed the hp/torque curve plot on this forum that somebody posted and there was no obvious substantial dip in torques below 3000 RPM. I still believe that my California model is injected very lean in this range to meet our emissions.

Thank you for any feed back.
 
Dave, I've edited the title of your thread to specify that this is a California model as some people might read Ca as being Canada. I can tell you that this behavior is certainly not normal on my 2013 non-California model. Hopefully you'll get some more input from some of our other California based members.

Your dealer definitely sounds "less than helpful", thank goodness for the service writer. I hope you're able to get this resolved to your satisfaction.
 
Sounds like you getting what I call a surge. That could be on all Cali models not sure most of the time a surge is caused by a EGR valve! But I don't know if your bike has a EGR valve. But my USA model 2014 deluxe pulls hard thru all gears! No dead spots at all.
Michael


3 rights make a left
 
your ecm holds codes that you can retrive just like a car tell the dealer you want them to hook up there scan and see if there are any codes, get rid of the gas you have in the tank and try some shell prem.
 
Dave_imp said:
Ridem32_imp said:
Any word on your bike ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Michael. The dealer inspected my bike and said it was "normal". It's actually running "slightly" better after I put more miles on it, and the sputtering has reduced slightly. However, I am convinced my bike is running excessively lean below 3000 RPM. I told the dealer if he let me ride the 2013 (used) model they had on the floor and it ran the same then I would be convinced, but they wouldn't let me ride it. I had the service writer ride my bike and when he came back he agreed that the power dropped-off below 3000 RPM, and it sounded like it was running lean, and he agreed to contact Honda directly and talk to them. I am waiting to hear back from then at the moment.

Can those of you on this forum who read this reply to this question, please? If you accelerate moderately through the gears, and shift up just above 3000 RPM (causing the RPM to drop down to about 2,500) does you bike suddenly feel like the power drops off significantly? Just as an example, my bike feels like one of the cylinders stops running (I know it doesn't, but the lack of power is that noticeable). Once the RPM increase above 3000 the motor begins making good power again, and it runs fine.

I have ridden an air-cooled Yamaha XS1100 (1978), and this bike pulled cleanly and smoothly from idle. I expected my 26 year newer, fuel-injected 1100cc Honda to make at least the same power, and it doesn't. I viewed the hp/torque curve plot on this forum that somebody posted and there was no obvious substantial dip in torques below 3000 RPM. I still believe that my California model is injected very lean in this range to meet our emissions.

Thank you for any feed back.
Hi Michael. The dealer inspected my bike and said it was "normal". <snip> I still believe that my California model is injected very lean in this range to meet our emissions.

Thank you for any feed back. CA bikes don't do anything weird anymore. Since EFI they are essentially the same as everyone else gets, but with evaporative emissions controls. These have absolutely no effect on how the engine runs. At any rate if the CA bikes were like this, we'd have heard about it, and Honda is not going to put out a turd. Your dealer does not appear to have the technical knowhow to really get at this and fix it. Bottom end is what this bike is all about; yours is very ill, by all indications.

Worse comes to worst, put it on a dyno and get the a/f ratio and power curve. Might cost a bit of dough but it'll show what your bike is doing and you can wave it in their faces (so to speak).

Don't try to fix it yourself. Just keep the pressure on the dealer, or find another dealer, and/or contact AHMC, or all the above.:thumbsup:
 
I think all Cb1100 have evap! What a joke ! Red is right it don't have anything to do with the running of the bike. Most dealers will say if the light on dash is not on no codes and they stop there! My bike runs very hard thru all RPMS I would have to say my bike runs great. I do not like the 112 mph limit nor am I a big fan of ABS brakes being a rider of over 40 years and this is just my 2nd ABS bike I'm still having to get use to it. I had to get ABS because I wanted the deluxe model with a motor as strong as this 1100 you can accelerate quicker than you can stop sometimes to avoid a crash. But like Red says your bike should not run as you say it does. The motor should run very very smooth with no sputtering at all. No honda sputters if it's running right! I know your upset but honda will fix it. They should of let you ride the 2013 model to compare! This is just how I look at this about your bike! Hang in there it will all work out. If you see someone with a bike like yours stop them and ask them how there bike runs! Offer them your bike to ride I would want to compare it to another Cali bike for sure.
Michael


3 rights make a left
 
We have a large contingent in cali. Shouldn't be too hard to get together with a fellow forum member and compare.
 
Back
Top