Fuel Choices

Outlander427_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Since I bought my CB in February I have been using mainly grocery store premium fuel. Out of convenience I chose to spend the extra and get Shell premium and I noticed a real difference in on demand power. Just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience. Which fuel do you use?
 
It calls for regular and thats what I use. Premium doesn't have more power, just more knock resistance.

Butt dynos don't count. Put it on a dyno, then again with premium and let us know the results.
 
Run non-ethanol premium in another bike as recommended, tried a few tanks in the CB but my seat-of-pants Dyno could not tell any difference even though I really wanted too so I just run what the manual says to.

I also have read of differences in fuel quality and almost think there might be something to it. Honestly, I usually re-fuel after my rides at the station closest to my home.
 
i always use top-tier premium fuel in my bikes and most of them call for premium anyway

if i cannot find it i will use what i can get of course

yes you are right it makes a difference i have noticed the cb1100 in particular will ping with lower octane and as most know i enjoy whacking the throttle wide open

if you just ease around and are gentle with it no problems 87 will do you fine but it has no knock sensor

knock and ping are bad for the engine, very bad
Lord Popgun_imp said:
It calls for regular and thats what I use. Premium doesn't have more power, just more knock resistance.

Butt dynos don't count. Put it on a dyno, then again with premium and let us know the results.
you know what will happen lol no difference

however there is a difference in driveability and throttle response as the op noted

better additive packages and less ethanol equals happy throttle hand and butt dyno
btw if anyone does dyno his bike please let it be someone with the o2 sensor lol
 
Thread starter
I have always used premium in all of my vehicles and have had better performance as well as fuel mileage. I was just kinda stunned at the different throttle response when I switched to the Shell premium. I haul fuel for a living and the true top tier fuels have they're own loading racks separate from the community racks (QT, Circle K, grocery stores, etc.)
 
Interesting. I'll buy whatever is convenient, usually at a Costco or Sinclair. They're both listed in the Consumer Reports article as a Top Tier fuel, as are most of the commonly-known brands, but I'm not picky. Honestly, it's all the same to me. I guess for those who don't have access to a Top Tier fuel, an occasional splash of Seafoam in their tank will probably do the trick too. In this neck of the woods, Regular grade is 85 octane, not 87 octane. Seems to work fine for me.
 
87 octane for me. I will opt for premium if that's the only non-ethanol option. I'm not overly worried about ethanol, but given the choice, I'll go ethanol- free
 
I have a station in my small town that sells premium non ethanol. I always try to fill up with it if I can. I will always try to use premium when I can, just because. With the size of the tank, it really does not cost that much more.
 
Honda recommends 87, a higher octane contains additives that will cause deposits on valves and combustion chamber.
Old gas absorbs water. Stick to name brands at busy stations.
My CB1100 gets 60+ mpg on 87 reg, and runs perfect.
 
That consumer reports test is interesting. They don't specific what engine is used in the test, but I'm guessing it had direct injection (I. E., gas shoots straight into the combustion chamber and not into the intake tract, cleaning the intake valve on the way). It would be crazy to see a non/DI intake valve that looked that bad, especially after only 4000 miles.

Still an interesting article.
 
I use Chevron gasoline exclusively, and fill up with regular 87 PON. However, I top off with 89 PON every so often just to make certain, I have a little extra head room on the octane rating. All grades of Chevron gas have the additive "techroline", which I believe is one of the best on the market. I've heard Shell is pretty good too. Chevron (and Shell) gas usually costs more than other brands, mainly, I believe, because of their higher quality additives.
 
kmoney_imp said:
That consumer reports test is interesting. They don't specific what engine is used in the test, but I'm guessing it had direct injection (I. E., gas shoots straight into the combustion chamber and not into the intake tract, cleaning the intake valve on the way). It would be crazy to see a non/DI intake valve that looked that bad, especially after only 4000 miles.

Still an interesting article.
where does a CB1100 inject the gas?
 
The ferret_imp said:
kmoney_imp said:
That consumer reports test is interesting. They don't specific what engine is used in the test, but I'm guessing it had direct injection (I. E., gas shoots straight into the combustion chamber and not into the intake tract, cleaning the intake valve on the way). It would be crazy to see a non/DI intake valve that looked that bad, especially after only 4000 miles.

Still an interesting article.
where does a CB1100 inject the gas?
Since we have throttle bodies I would presume fuel is injected there. The Motus was to be the first bike with direct injection but that was dropped before the bike was brought to market. Direct injection requires very high fuel line pressure and maybe that is a problem to design into a motorcycle engine.

I have experimented with different fuel grades and non ethanol fuel. My CB has never knocked or pinged from using 87 octane even in extreme temps. Switching to "high quality" premium has never shown me an advantage. I have noticed a slight increase in mileage when I've used regular non ethanol. I do run some Sea Foam through it at times though I can't tell if there is any advantage in doing so. Sea Foam does help the small engines in my mowers and chain saw run better.
 
ferret, I think you have a '14 service manual? If so, look at the pic on page 1-42. The fuel is injected after throttle valve and before the intake valve.

You can also see it in the fuel section, but not the whole pic.
YOU could take the entire throttle body apart, take some pics and show us all. Let us know how it works out :)
 
I have a 13 manual popgun (really should get a 14 don't you think?). Assume it is the same but I would have no idea what I would be looking at even if you showed me a pic. Maybe a moving diagram I would understand showing gas being sprayed somewhere lol

I understand carbs. I don't understand injectors, fuel injection, direct injection etc
 
The ferret_imp said:
I have a 13 manual popgun (really should get a 14 don't you think?). Assume it is the same but I would have no idea what I would be looking at even if you showed me a pic. Maybe a moving diagram I would understand showing gas being sprayed somewhere lol

I understand carbs. I don't understand injectors, fuel injection, direct injection etc
It's port injection. So it goes in just before the intake valve inside the intake manifold (so basically where carb boots were on older engines). GDI would be an awesome addition to motorcycles and would take power and efficiency way up.

 
redbirds_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
kmoney_imp said:
That consumer reports test is interesting. They don't specific what engine is used in the test, but I'm guessing it had direct injection (I. E., gas shoots straight into the combustion chamber and not into the intake tract, cleaning the intake valve on the way). It would be crazy to see a non/DI intake valve that looked that bad, especially after only 4000 miles.

Still an interesting article.
where does a CB1100 inject the gas?
Since we have throttle bodies I would presume fuel is injected there. The Motus was to be the first bike with direct injection but that was dropped before the bike was brought to market. Direct injection requires very high fuel line pressure and maybe that is a problem to design into a motorcycle engine.

I have experimented with different fuel grades and non ethanol fuel. My CB has never knocked or pinged from using 87 octane even in extreme temps. Switching to "high quality" premium has never shown me an advantage. I have noticed a slight increase in mileage when I've used regular non ethanol. I do run some Sea Foam through it at times though I can't tell if there is any advantage in doing so. Sea Foam does help the small engines in my mowers and chain saw run better.
Since we have throttle bodies I would presume fuel is injected there. The Motus was to be the first bike with direct injection but that was dropped before the bike was brought to market. Direct injection requires very high fuel line pressure and maybe that is a problem to design into a motorcycle engine.
Probably has something to do with the fact that, apparently, direct injected engines have two fuel pumps, one in the fuel tank, and the very high pressure one that is connected directly to the engine that pressurizes the rails. I'm guessing that kind of packaging is difficult on a motorcycle.
 
Throttle body injection is the simplest and least efficient and is similar in function to a carb. Port injection is more efficient, injecting the fuel into the intake port ahead of the intake valves. Direct injection is the most efficient, injecting fuel directly into the combustion chamber.
 
kmoney_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I have a 13 manual popgun (really should get a 14 don't you think?). Assume it is the same but I would have no idea what I would be looking at even if you showed me a pic. Maybe a moving diagram I would understand showing gas being sprayed somewhere lol

I understand carbs. I don't understand injectors, fuel injection, direct injection etc
It's port injection. So it goes in just before the intake valve inside the intake manifold (so basically where carb boots were on older engines). GDI would be an awesome addition to motorcycles and would take power and efficiency way up.

It's port injection. So it goes in just before the intake valve inside the intake manifold (so basically where carb boots were on older engines). GDI would be an awesome addition to motorcycles and would take power and efficiency way up.

Ahh... see the moving pics helped a bunch. Thanks Kmoney.
 
Back
Top