Front Suspension Options

cblais19_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
So I’m about 95% sure I’m going to be picking a ‘14 DLX up later this week from another member here, and am pretty sure I’ll want to do something to the front prior to riding season truly setting in on this coast. If my research is correct, my options are the following, in increasing price order:

-Springs / oil (RT generally?).
-Traxxion damper kit / RT valving (~$400 each way I think)
-SDBV forks from the ‘17 (~$800)
-Full cartridge (Traxxion / Andreani ~$700-1k and the latter requires modifications)

Has anybody had the opportunity to compare two or more of these options against each other? Obviously the after market kits require setup.

As far as I can tell, the biggest different in the Showa forks is a different valve setup. I haven’t disassembled the forks myself obviously, but is there a reason why the solution has been bolting the entire fork assembly on vice switching internals? The parts fiche looks identical between the two, and the EX is the same 41MM tube size as the ‘13/‘14s.

Thanks!
 
I replaced my 2014 forks with the 2017 ones , VERY easy and I felt a great improvement . Is it worth $ 800 ? : that is up to you but for me it was.
 
Have you ridden one or just assuming you won't like the front fork actiion?
 
For general road riding I could never really feel the difference between the traditional arrangement and "inverted". I understand all the technical benefits, however, that may benefit most while really leveraging the bike. My rides are usually weighed down with other crap, liquids and food that causes me to ride modestly.

Maybe a minor benefit: The fork seals on the inverted configuration experience less direct UV sun exposure, and possibly less prone to cracking. Thoughts?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Have you ridden one or just assuming you won't like the front fork actiion?
Assuming, based on the fact that a) the consensus is that the redone valving on the ‘17s made a big difference and b) my Tenere ES has ruined the suspensions of other bikes for me :P.

So nobody has upgraded their forks by swapping the valves around? Is there anything preventing this? As far as I can tell, that’s the biggest difference between the 14s and the 17s.
 
cblais, I've been wrong before, but I don't recall reading that anyone here has swapped the valves.

We would all be interested should you decide to try it out.
 
I have the Adreani inserts and I love them. The front forks are now fully adjustable. Made a very noticeable difference. The springs are sized to my weight as well.

But I turned my cb into a cafe and wanted more performance.

I am considering doing inverted suspension at some point. There is a group that makes conversion triple tree for the cb.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I have a 2014 that l bought leftover a few months ago. At 4000 miles l replaced the front tire and fork oil. I used Mobil 1 full synthetic ATF at 4" from the top in both legs. I also maxed out the spring preload setting because l am 270 in full gear. Shock spring preload full stiff. Big improvment in the handling. No need for any further improvements for me. Very happy.
 
Thread starter
Yeeaahhh, your CB is pretty awesome. I think if I decide to shell out for cartridges I’d go for the Traxxion option, I was looking at XSR900s as well and the Andraeni cartridges need some fixing to perform optimally per the suspension guy who specializes in the Yamahas.
 
Adreani inserts are great. Fully adjustable, which means you'll have lots to fiddle with, which is either a pos+ or a Neg - depending on how you look at it. Once you've got them dialled in, then are a totally different world. Lots of feedback....
 
Thread starter
Have any of you been able to compare the Traxxion damper upgrade set using their springs + race tech valves to the SDBV forks?
 
Thread starter
Well, riding the bike home on the terrible highways in MD and PA did indeed indicate that the front needs work to make me happy. Only got bucked off the back a bit once - so at least those shocks aren’t completely abysmal.

Still debating what I want to do with the front end. I wish I knew more about suspensions so I could give a serious go to upgrading the damper rod internals to the ‘17 valving instead of doing the full bolt on option for $700. At that price point the Andraeni cartridge replacements are actually cheaper (if one that does require some finangling).
 
Thread starter
So after doing a bunch of research & some budget prioritization, I’ve gone with the Traxxion AR-25 kit. Should be here by the weekend, so hopefully I’ll have some time to drop the forks and swap over and provide a review.

I also ordered what I think are the primary suspension components from the ‘17 just to look at - as far as I can tell the rod+valve components that have a different part number from the ‘14 are all of $48 shipped...
 
cblais19_imp said:
So after doing a bunch of research & some budget prioritization, I’ve gone with the Traxxion AR-25 kit. Should be here by the weekend, so hopefully I’ll have some time to drop the forks and swap over and provide a review.

I also ordered what I think are the primary suspension components from the ‘17 just to look at - as far as I can tell the rod+valve components that have a different part number from the ‘14 are all of $48 shipped...
Well let us know how the 17 parts work out...
 
Thread starter
Will do. I figure when I have the forks all disassembled I’ll see how things fit together with a mix of ‘14 and ‘17 internals. If I’m understanding my damper rod fundamentals properly (and based on what the Traxxion guy said about the SDBV setup today), the difference is primarily a Gold Valve style emulator & revised damper rod channels.

Hopefully I can find somebody local with an EX after I install the Traxxion kit so we can do a back to back comparison!
 
Back
Top