Front Stand for Servicing Q'S

lola_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Hello all! Planning on removing the front forks for service and a posible powdercoat but don't quite know what is available out there as far as front stands go... I noticed there are two reference points under the oil pan, are they Jack Points to raise the front of our bikes? just curious to what you fellas have done.....

Thanks!
 
I got an email from George Hoffman from Pitbull last week:

"Okay, if you're using our new Hybrid Front Stand I think the #19 pin would be the place to start. I'm at home right now but if you can make sure I'm in the loop when you order, I'll find at least one more pin that might be a good match. IF you do have issues with that pin, please take a photo so we can see what you see and we can sort it out for you. Thanks and have a great day!"

Pit Bull - Motorcycle Stands, Motorcycle Front Stands, Motorcycle Rear Stands, Single Sided Swingarm

I just havn't got back to him yet.
Without a stand you can either jack it up or hang it by the bars.
 
So Ack, what do you think those points sticking down under the front of the engine are?
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
So Ack, what do you think those points sticking down under the front of the engine are?
I don't know, I know one protects the drain plug. I hung mine from the bars. A member already did his wheels and put his on an ammo can, so they must be strong enough?
It happened I already had a Pitbull stand I'd bought for a Yamaha FZR400. It fit my FZ8 and the pin also fit the CB1100. Didn't even have to remove the horns. The steering stem is taper so the pin does not go all the way in but goes in plenty far enough. No problems at all.
That's awesome, Thanks for the info. I was worried about the horns too..........
What # pin was it?
 
Thread starter
thanks for the tips and replies. Oh Okay I do have a front stand from my Street triple that I got from SVracing.com which lifts it from underneath the triple trees but when I checked the hole on the CB1100 it was just too big but will see what pins I have and will let you know what fits.... Thanks Again!
 
If you were on the center stand and took off the front wheel, would removing the weight let it rock back on the rear tire.? Even if it doesn't, you just need to strap the rear down to a couple of 5gal buckets filled with water and you don't need a front stand unless you're taking both wheels off at the same time.
 
If you guys use one of those front fork stands, could you post a pic of how they work? I don't have a clue...

I did look at the pics in the first post link, but is there really room to remove the wheel, etc., when using a stand like that?

Sorry if I sound dumb...
 
popgun' pid='10301' dateline='1375876383 said:
If you guys use one of those front fork stands, could you post a pic of how they work? I don't have a clue...

It is hard to tell what goes on under there.


They also make one that lifts on the fork bottoms for just wheel removel, you can you that one solo on the front.
 
Thanks Ack!
 
:P
Lord Popgun_imp said:
If you guys use one of those front fork stands, could you post a pic of how they work? I don't have a clue...

I did look at the pics in the first post link, but is there really room to remove the wheel, etc., when using a stand like that?

Sorry if I sound dumb...
There are no dumb questions. Just stuff we haven't learned yet. I don't know how they work either as I've never seen one. I have learned more about this bike here than I could have picked up in 50 years on my own. So yeah, photos please.

Chip
 
A front stand looks like an inverted U with a pin on top and a handle and wheels on the bottom. You tilt the stand and roll it up and stick the pin in the bottom of the steering stem which is hollow. Push down on the handle until it lays flat on the ground, the stand pivots on the wheels and the bike 's front end raises off the ground. You lift the handle to lower the bike onto its front wheel again, roll the stand back and the pin will come out of the hole in the stem.
 
Back
Top