Front end wobble when take hands off..?

Mine's a 2013 model, using T31 tyres. Does not wobble when hand off below 80km/h. Higher speed than that never tried. If bike wobble all the time something must have upset the dynamic. Once upon a time when I experience a wobble with my previous bike, it is cause by a chips rim. But it would be obvious even with both hand on handlebar. Others time mostly is caused by hard acceleration/braking/potholes, but all is temporary and specific to that event. Maybe you should start by checking if everything is ok, no bend fork, bend rim, balanced wheel, no flat spot on tyres, brake drag, fork oil, etc etc. Hope you solve your problem and share the outcome/solution..
 
ozigoo_imp said:
Hmm...back to the drawing board...any 2010/11 Ausies out there with wobble or not?

I have had in the past, but I can’t remember at what speed. I was out riding earlier in the week and tried taking my hands off the bars a couple of times at low speed and didn’t experience any wobble. I have a memory that it has wobbled at around 80kph.
 
Does anyone’s bike seem to pull to the left slightly? I don’t know if it just started after an accident , or it did it before and i’am just overly observant now ?
 
Mine seems wobbly at high freeway speeds 80mph(128kph) or more. I noticed it most on sweepers where steering input is needed.
 
Is it weird, or is it just that we haven't figured the difference in the setup yet?
 
Ozigoo, I've tried taking my hands off the bars at 80kph and 60kph or thereabouts and have not noticed more than a very faint wobble.
 
Thread starter
Cheers guys, I guess its a process of elimination, new fork & oil seals hasnt changed anything..Going to clean brake calipers next to eliminate the possibility of brake drag, then considering a new front tire with balance ,even though theres a few more km to be had on it.
 
zirconxi_imp said:
Did you drop the bike before? Or had a top box installed at the back?? If bike drop before, check for triple clamp and forks alignment, if installed a top box at the back, try setting the rear pre-load to harder setting...
I had never thought about this before but it is funny. The last ride I went on I had probably the most weight in the trunk I have ever carried and it was WOOOWOWOWOWOWOBBLY! I think you might have solved my problem. I'll take her out tomorrow with it off an see if that does the trick. THANK YOU!!!
 
zirconxi_imp said:
Did you drop the bike before? Or had a top box installed at the back?? If bike drop before, check for triple clamp and forks alignment, if installed a top box at the back, try setting the rear pre-load to harder setting...
Wow, I experienced a wobble (hands-free) and I do a have a top-box!

Thank you so much for the tip!
 
arkadiy_imp said:
zirconxi_imp said:
Did you drop the bike before? Or had a top box installed at the back?? If bike drop before, check for triple clamp and forks alignment, if installed a top box at the back, try setting the rear pre-load to harder setting...
Wow, I experienced a wobble (hands-free) and I do a have a top-box!

Thank you so much for the tip!
HerkyFred_imp said:
zirconxi_imp said:
Did you drop the bike before? Or had a top box installed at the back?? If bike drop before, check for triple clamp and forks alignment, if installed a top box at the back, try setting the rear pre-load to harder setting...
I had never thought about this before but it is funny. The last ride I went on I had probably the most weight in the trunk I have ever carried and it was WOOOWOWOWOWOWOBBLY! I think you might have solved my problem. I'll take her out tomorrow with it off an see if that does the trick. THANK YOU!!!
I believe anything that we do that cause the bike's balance to be off will cause wobble. A top box is notorious for this because it not only cause air flow turbulence, but also the top box sit further away from the rear wheels, giving it more "lever action" (distance x weight) compare to side box which sit near to the rear wheel. The only pro of top box compare to side box is the convenient of it, and top box no need to balance out the load compare to side box. Putting more pre-load to rear might help mitigate this top box problem because the weight will shift further up front. Top box are popular here in my place (legal to lane split) and we tend to put the preload to the max to maintain the bike stability with top box.
 
Back
Top