Front end shimmy or shake

Thread starter
I’m having a front end shimmy at high speed. I can also feel it a little at lower speed. Anyone get this in their cb ? Tire is balanced, head bearings are not loose. I do have over 58,000 miles on it, fork oil?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
What speed does it first appear? Cast or spoke wheel? How long ago was the last front tire change? Did this appear shortly after the last tire change? Has the front wheel been off the bike for any other reason? Checked torque on front axle bolt/wheel bearings?
 
All good questions from 2017EX

First thought is front wheel not true and/or tire cupped.

How was tire balanced?

Any tire balancing goo in tire/tube?

Any difference running on rain grooves versus smooth road?
 
Thread starter
2017EX_imp said:
What speed does it first appear? Cast or spoke wheel? How long ago was the last front tire change? Did this appear shortly after the last tire change? Has the front wheel been off the bike for any other reason? Checked torque on front axle bolt/wheel bearings?

Starts coming on around 50, cast wheel, new tire about 4 months ago, had wheel off yesterday and had it checked for balance, it’s good, bearings good. Axle properly torqued and followed Honda service manual procedure to mount front wheel. Tire does have slight uneven wear from side to side. Always keep 36 psi in tire.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SportsterDoc_imp said:
All good questions from 2017EX

First thought is front wheel not true and/or tire cupped.

How was tire balanced?

Any tire balancing goo in tire/tube?

Any difference running on rain grooves versus smooth road?
Static balance. Wheel weights used, no goo. Smooth roads much smoother, rain grooves suck!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
How much laterial run out?
Further describe uneven wear.
Did tire have dot for valve stem location?
Recommend 38 PSI on front tire.
 
Thread starter
SportsterDoc_imp said:
How much laterial run out?
Further describe uneven wear.
Did tire have dot for valve stem location?
Recommend 38 PSI on front tire.

Lateral run out is within specs.
Valve stem dot/located in place although it’s off a little.
I’ve always used 36 psi per Honda specs. I believe it’s this tire. Continental, Conti-go. 110/80/18


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2b155ba938436c37288a499c04ed0d18.jpg

3c2dbcee7cea88cc3dd97f9827e1d817.jpg

a98eea278a3cfab8f57ef2e2f6085ea8.jpg
 
Tire "looks" fine to me. Swingarm bushings / bearings came to mind, but I don't know if this is a wear item like it was on the 1970's-80's CBs.
 
When I relaced the stock Dunlops at ~10,500 miles (8 months riding), the rear was replaced for wear and the front for cuppling. I did not brake hard, cornering was not agressive and tires were not underinflated.

If that were a rear tire, I'd increase tire pressue 2-4 PSI and then smoke it a few times.

But, once the wear starts, it is nigh unto impossible to halt.

Still suggest 38 PSI in the front..
 
Thread starter
SportsterDoc_imp said:
When I relaced the stock Dunlops at ~10,500 miles (8 months riding), the rear was replaced for wear and the front for cuppling. I did not brake hard, cornering was not agressive and tires were not underinflated.

If that were a rear tire, I'd increase tire pressue 2-4 PSI and then smoke it a few times.

But, once the wear starts, it is nigh unto impossible to halt.

Still suggest 38 PSI in the front..

This is the fourth front I’ve put on. Thinking back this never happened before this tire, I just put the fifth back tire on. Bike has over 58,000 on it. I’m going to check the swingarm next. I’ll try 38 in front too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I think that front tyre is worn, you can clearly see the step in height. If you have already ruled out the other possibilities yet the problem is still there. Its got to be the tyre. I had a 1100 Pan with front (hands off the handlebars) 'wobble'. Changed it for a new Bridgestone (i think it was anyway, cant remember now) but the problem went straight away. Put it down to experience.
 
Thread starter
Jfro5687_imp said:
I think that front tyre is worn, you can clearly see the step in height. If you have already ruled out the other possibilities yet the problem is still there. Its got to be the tyre. I had a 1100 Pan with front (hands off the handlebars) 'wobble'. Changed it for a new Bridgestone (i think it was anyway, cant remember now) but the problem went straight away. Put it down to experience.

I’m afraid you’re right. I had a 95 st1100 that did the same. New tire solved it too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
MMC, longranger has a point, not usually the case but here is what i found when i just got my bike;

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11524&pid=183989#pid183989

To check for sideways play you need to watch carefully where the bearings ( needle left and double roller on the right ) are mounted and hit the wheel from side to side with a heavy hammer on the tyre ( second person ), also may be able to feel between the tyre and exhaust for play.

Never affected the tracking in my case but things change, good to eliminate the swingarm anyway.
 
Thread starter
So when I took the front wheel off I found a small chunk of cardboard jammed in between the pistons of my brakes on one side. Didn’t think much of it but since remounting the wheel (following Honda service manual) the shimmy has lessened and the brake works better. Go figure....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Anti-puncture 'goo' can help to stabilise a tyre when you're moving - maybe a cheap option rather than junk the tyre?

Also check the rear of the 'bike - a problem there can give you front-end problems (wheel/swingarm bearings, suspension).

Good luck. Keep us posted as to how this turns out? :thumbsup:
 
MMC_imp said:
So when I took the front wheel off I found a small chunk of cardboard jammed in between the pistons of my brakes on one side. Didn’t think much of it but since remounting the wheel (following Honda service manual) the shimmy has lessened and the brake works better. Go figure....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mechanic probably stuck cardboard in between the pads of both calipers because he didn't want have to pry the pads apart in case someone squeezed the lever.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
MMC_imp said:
So when I took the front wheel off I found a small chunk of cardboard jammed in between the pistons of my brakes on one side. Didn’t think much of it but since remounting the wheel (following Honda service manual) the shimmy has lessened and the brake works better. Go figure....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mechanic probably stuck cardboard in between the pads of both calipers because he didn't want have to pry the pads apart in case someone squeezed the lever.
Mechanic probably stuck cardboard in between the pads of both calipers because he didn't want have to pry the pads apart in case someone squeezed the lever.

No, I do my own work. It had to have come from the road.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
max_imp said:
MMC, longranger has a point, not usually the case but here is what i found when i just got my bike;

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11524&pid=183989#pid183989

To check for sideways play you need to watch carefully where the bearings ( needle left and double roller on the right ) are mounted and hit the wheel from side to side with a heavy hammer on the tyre ( second person ), also may be able to feel between the tyre and exhaust for play.

Never affected the tracking in my case but things change, good to eliminate the swingarm anyway.

I put the bike on center stand and hit the back wheel sideways with my fist, I can definitely feel some movement near swingarm bearings. I’ll have to check them out for sure....
c15a8490d7bccb7e9bc44c1e27b113a5.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top