From our correspondent Down Under

Thread starter
In news just to hand, four of the team spent the day riding the Omeo Highway and the Bogong High Plains Road to Mount Beauty. From there they travelled over the Tawonga Gap to join the Great Alpine Road which they rode to Omeo.

"That was fun. There weren't many straight bits", a spokesperson for the group said.

"Didn't rain on us either until an excuse for a shower hit us just before Omeo."

"The weather bloke says it's going to rain today, but it isn't yet."

The spokesperson refused to comment on the whereabouts of the fifth member of the party. It is understood he travelled to Bairnsdale via Omeo to seek attention.

A wannabe sixth member of the party was refused a leave pass from work, but may make a flying visit later in the week.

That's all for now, folks.
 
Seek attention? Not sure we should ask.

Thanks for the update Cormanus. You get Bob to sample vegemite yet?
 
Thread starter
Yep. Bob's had a go at Vegemite. I've a photo somewhere.

And he's still alive.
 
As always, Cormanus, great photos and story. Still snow alongside and salt on the roads in NE USA. But we are finally reaching 10 C, so it's getting warmer to wash off the salt in the next rain storm.
 
Thread starter
Tezza's headed for Queensland; noroomtomove's returned home; InHouse Bob, Pterodactyl and Cormanus ride on and the rain keeps falling.
 
Geez the Aussie rain rally. How many more days do you have on the road Cormanus? SUre hope ot dries out for you.
 
Thread starter
Boorowa, NSW, 24 March.

It's dawn and there's more than a faint possibility our intrepid riders will see sun this morning. Yesterday's ride was shortened by a serious downpour that made riding both unpleasant and dangerous. We stopped in Boorowa and will have to change our plan for the final day's ride to Sydney.

There are few photos as cameras have been tucked away from the rain. There is this one though.

 
:rofl: So Bob picked up a souvenir to bring to Arkansas huh?
 
Did you end up eating a Chiko Roll Bob?

I got home on Wednesday damp to dripping.

At least the sun was shining whilst we were in the snowy mountains, the bridge photo is proof of sun shine.
 
Just got home this arvo. 426 km of torrential rain and then 260 km of sunshine. My feet and hands look like boiled chicken. Rode from Scone to Brisbane via the New England highway. Total kilometers for the rally was 4400 km.
 
Thread starter
InHouse Bob, Pterodactyl and I made it back to Sydney late this afternoon. It was mostly overcast today but we had very little rain for a change. Another good day with some good riding. Bob got the chance to try out the BMW on some dirt. It looked to me like he was having fun, although I couldn't keep up.
 
Tezza_imp said:
Just got home this arvo. 426 km of torrential rain and then 260 km of sunshine. My feet and hands look like boiled chicken. Rode from Scone to Brisbane via the New England highway. Total kilometers for the rally was 4400 km.
When Penny and I went on long trips on our Goldwing, we always had cheap fleece lined rubber boots to change into to keep our feet warm and dry. We would also cover our leather gloves with rubber linemen's gaunlets for the same reason.
 
Thread starter
I've been wearing waterproof over gloves this trip. They work and make a huge difference. I still haven't solved the problem of my boots filling up with water!
 
The Aussie Odyssey is coming to an end. Just saw Cormanus off at the curb for his 1000km ride home and I'm about ready to fly off home as well. It's been a marvelous trip and I'm not sure where all the days went. Some of them may have been partially washed away with the rain
 
Thread starter
It was a great pleasure to ride with Bob. Thanks for coming all this way, mate. I hope you enjoyed yourself. I did.

Thanks to Pterodactyl, Tezza, noroomtomove, aussie59 and aussieflyer for the help and support in making his happen. I'm sorry Aussieflyer couldn't escape work to meet us.
 
Hmmm... I see that my last post got cut short. I will have to repost all my ravings when I get home. But suffice it to say that the Aussie gang was terrific and made me feel like a part of the family. Let's do it again.
 
Thanks Cormanus for the Rally Downunder updates. One heck of long tour over what had become some of Australia's wettest roads ... in true Aussie spirit did the group hold Bob responsible for the bad weather?

Hey Bob, well done mate for making the trip to our 95% hot dry land ... just not the bits that you visited. You must be honoured to have won the inaugural Rally Downunder Vegemite trophy, I trust you'll be back to defend your title when the time comes. By the way, did you know there are thousands of useful things you can do with an empty vegemite jar? Anything from storing used nuts and bolts to a stylish vase for the wild flowers of spring. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the empty trophy - please post photo.
 
Aussieflyer_imp said:
Thanks Cormanus for the Rally Downunder updates. One heck of long tour over what had become some of Australia's wettest roads ... in true Aussie spirit did the group hold Bob responsible for the bad weather?

Hey Bob, well done mate for making the trip to our 95% hot dry land ... just not the bits that you visited. You must be honoured to have won the inaugural Rally Downunder Vegemite trophy, I trust you'll be back to defend your title when the time comes. By the way, did you know there are thousands of useful things you can do with an empty vegemite jar? Anything from storing used nuts and bolts to a stylish vase for the wild flowers of spring. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the empty trophy - please post photo.
The jar of Vegemite actually belonged to The Loaded Dog Pub, so I just got a photo with it, but if I had a jar that large, it would take YEARS to eat it all. My take on Vegemite... it is very tasty but must be used sparingly. Like, a thumbnail spot spread on a bread slice. It tastes a bit like V-8 juice, concentrated to the Nth degree. Now, I never did get to have a Chiko Roll (sp?). I will just have to go back!
 
Back
Top