From no-viz to hi-viz

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
Recently, I bought a new Scorpion 420 on clearance, since the one I have is really comfy. I never liked any of the graphic designs this helmet is offered in, so I didn't care much that the new one was a few shades of dark grey and dark tan. But, I normally go with white or bright colors for safety.

I picked up a few sheets of reflective orange vinyl for a project in my warehouse, and got a little extra to experiment with on my helmet to brighten it up a bit. Here's what I came up with.

On my current crop of plain white helmets, I've gone with decals to dress them up in classic racing liveries. For the orange, I'm torn between going McLaren or Jagermeister.
 
Great job .. no wrinkles I see. Did you use a hair dryer putting it on?
 
Thread starter
Thanks, Ferret. There are a few wrinkles up close. Didn't use any heat. I didn't want to damage the reflective stuff in the vinyl. Not sure if that's a factor, but the reflective stuff acts very differently than other vinyl products I've worked with. It's not as bendy and flexible, so there are a few rough edges I need to clean up, but I'm not too concerned about it. After all, I put this over the top of the existing design, which you can still see, so it's not a museum piece.
 
Looks good Gin60, you have good skills....
...tip, prior applying, spray with soapy water on both surfaces and use flexible credit card to squeeze it from inside out
 
Thread starter
Thanks, Peter. Have done lots of vinyl. This stuff doesn't seem to like a wet application.
 
Thread starter
Yeah, I've seen those. If I wanted to go with a TRON theme, I would have to do that.

This is just about the time to start putting Christmas lights on my bikes, however!
 
Thread starter
I did give those EL kits a look when they came out. A while back, someone even found a way to mount them to rims using inductive pickups on the swingarm and fork, but I don't think that went to market.
 
Back
Top