Frame Sliders vs. Crash Bars

MikeD_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I want to add a little protection to my CB. I know that a lot of you guys have frame sliders installed, and I've seen a that a few have installed crash bars. Which is better? I prefer the looks of the frame sliders, but wonder if the crash bars offer more protection.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
I looked at both and chose crash bars, but I feel you'll be fine with whatever you choose.
+1 with George.
Like you; I was initially going with sliders, but changed to the OEM bars. Pick the ones that appeal to you.
 
I got the Over Racing crash bars from Samurider and was more than pleased. After hitting a deer the bike went down on its left side and slid down the road a bit. The only things that touched the pavement were gauge cluster, headlight ring, mirror and clutch lever. The crash bar managed to keep the entire left side of the bike from scraping. Not even the peg or turn signal. Well worth the money! I bought a second set within a few weeks.
 
I've "tested" sliders and crash bars on two different bikes. Both types do an excellent job of minimizing damage to the rest of the bike.
 
Well I'm guessing the bars must be at least 5 lbs?

I took the case savers off my '80 CM400t a million years ago but I seem to remember them being rather heavy. Those pucks can't weigh that much.
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
Well I'm guessing the bars must be at least 5 lbs?

I took the case savers off my '80 CM400t a million years ago but I seem to remember them being rather heavy. Those pucks can't weigh that much.
Even so, how will 5 lbs. matter in the overall scheme of things?
 
I used sliders on 2 bikes: Speed Triple and CBR250R.
Both were 'tested' in 0 mph tip over incidents and they did a good job keeping things from damage.

I was going to get sliders for the ZX-14, but then I read about a bike that was 'totalled' in a low speed slide because a frame slider bent/broke the frame that it was mounted on.
Because of that, the ZX-14 gets no sliders (and of course there are no crash bars)..
Replacing bodywork is cheaper than a ruined frame (which should NOT be 'straightened' or rewelded IMHO).

For the CB1100 I chose the Honda crashbars.
Some have preferred a bar with more bracing to make the crashbar more rigid, but I tend to regard the crashbar as being like the expanded poly in a helmet: it is MEANT to be crushed in order to save the head.. So I prefer a 'weaker' crashbar that will deform on impacts and thus absorb the shock, rather than a braced crashbar that might transmit more of the shock to the motorcycle..
It doesn't hurt that they look really nice too :-)
 
furious_blue_imp said:
I used sliders on 2 bikes: Speed Triple and CBR250R.
Both were 'tested' in 0 mph tip over incidents and they did a good job keeping things from damage.

I was going to get sliders for the ZX-14, but then I read about a bike that was 'totalled' in a low speed slide because a frame slider bent/broke the frame that it was mounted on.
Because of that, the ZX-14 gets no sliders (and of course there are no crash bars)..
Replacing bodywork is cheaper than a ruined frame (which should NOT be 'straightened' or rewelded IMHO).

For the CB1100 I chose the Honda crashbars.
Some have preferred a bar with more bracing to make the crashbar more rigid, but I tend to regard the crashbar as being like the expanded poly in a helmet: it is MEANT to be crushed in order to save the head.. So I prefer a 'weaker' crashbar that will deform on impacts and thus absorb the shock, rather than a braced crashbar that might transmit more of the shock to the motorcycle..
It doesn't hurt that they look really nice too :-)
This happened to my R1 with frame sliders. They bolted to the engine and subsequently cracked the block when the bike went down on the left side and tore the bolt right out.

On our CB's though, I don't think you can really go wrong as they have dedicated mounts for these on the frame and it's steel not aluminum. I've always like the metal crash bars, cause they seem to fit the bike more (I think the plastic pucks look too modern sportbike) but I don't think either is better from a protection standpoint.
 
I wish someone made an old style crash bar for the CB11.

f336b2fb6f8e01b8df6dadad1de4b456.JPG


I think it would give the bike that authentic UJM look. Unfortunately, the only ones I've found were for Harleys.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
Bheezy27403_imp said:
Well I'm guessing the bars must be at least 5 lbs?

I took the case savers off my '80 CM400t a million years ago but I seem to remember them being rather heavy. Those pucks can't weigh that much.
Even so, how will 5 lbs. matter in the overall scheme of things?
Even so, how will 5 lbs. matter in the overall scheme of things?
Every ounce counts in performance and handling. Not to mention fuel economy.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
I wish someone made an old style crash bar for the CB11.

f336b2fb6f8e01b8df6dadad1de4b456.JPG


I think it would give the bike that authentic UJM look. Unfortunately, the only ones I've found were for Harleys.
Man, doesn't that take me back.. I'd forgotten about those !
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
ClassicVW_imp said:
Bheezy27403_imp said:
Well I'm guessing the bars must be at least 5 lbs?

I took the case savers off my '80 CM400t a million years ago but I seem to remember them being rather heavy. Those pucks can't weigh that much.
Even so, how will 5 lbs. matter in the overall scheme of things?
Even so, how will 5 lbs. matter in the overall scheme of things?
Every ounce counts in performance and handling. Not to mention fuel economy.
Even so, how will 5 lbs. matter in the overall scheme of things?
Every ounce counts in performance and handling. Not to mention fuel economy.
Maybe on the race track, but not for this detuned machine.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for all of the input. A few other forums have also had this question come up. It was good to have so many experienced riders chime in. SW MOTEC makes a set of crash bars that I may try. The black ones look like they will blend in pretty well. I'm not too concerned about the extra weight. It seems like a fair trade for protection that is offered.
 
veech_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
I wish someone made an old style crash bar for the CB11.

f336b2fb6f8e01b8df6dadad1de4b456.JPG


I think it would give the bike that authentic UJM look. Unfortunately, the only ones I've found were for Harleys.
The closest I know of is this:

KIJIMA : Big Bumper Set [Z9-14-024]
I've seen those. Not quite the same look. I've got one left over from a KZ750 in my garage, but it looks like it would take a lot of garage engineering to make it fit. Oil cooler clearance is the big issue.
 
Back
Top