Frame sliders/engine guards

In the 1960s, all 'bikes here in the UK came with solid, rigid footrests (my 250 Ysmaha's were the rigid type) and I remember a bit of discussion in the publications about "folding footrests" for the American market. I think the discussion ranged on, in an accident, did footrests protect/shield feet/legs from the road or did they trap/injure feet/legs in an accident? The American market obviously decided that feet were injured by rigid footrests, and so folding footrests became the norm. Meanwhile, I'd had a few minor tumbles on my Yamaha, where the footrests, although getting slightly bent, also acted as a sort of mini-crashbar/slider, stopping my leg/foot being crushed by the sliding 'bike.

My first 'folding footrest' 'bike was my K2 CB750 in 1972. The first thing I fitted was crashbars.

Fast forward to 2020 and my latest acquisition is the 250 Yamaha YDS3, identical to the one I bought in 1965 here in the UK (with rigid footrests), EXCEPT... this one has FOLDING footrests (it's an American market one). So... onto eBay and I've sourced two NOS rigid footrests, which are on their way to me now, even as we speak! :D
 
I once went down and foot got jammed between the left foot peg and exhaust pipe as the bike dragged me downhill. At the time it was not fun.
 
I had an "oh s**t" moment a few years ago with an ST1300. The driveway I stopped on was sloped more than my brain had calculated and when I put my foot down I started going down before I had a chance to get the stand deployed. Managed to execute a jump off and was able to gently lower the big beastie to the ground, but was stunned by the amount of surface damage to the plastic that occurred. All cosmetic, but it took hours and hours of rubbing compound to get it back to looking presentable.
So for the CB I went with the OEM guards. But after reading this thread I'm having doubts and may reconsider switching to either the SWM, or Over Guards.
Noticed nobody mentioned T-Rex products. Are there issues with that company? I like the Puck thingy they offer that goes on the crank case and also the Exhaust Guard. Also, any thoughts on the axle pucks they offer?
 
Oh dear I wish I'd seen this earlier. Just got some H&P bars on the way but now it looks like I've bought the wrong ones.
 
I have SW-MOTECH engine guards and they don’t allow to lean the bike far. Something to consider while choosing between guards and sliders.

eab7ccd90710d24333c53a8b9a7f9314.jpg
 
Any potential to jack the preload up, front and back together mrded to give you a little more clearance?
 
The bike I bought recently came with an SW-Motech engine guard. I have no doubt it's properly installed, and seen from the front, everything is fine and in the right place. So what puzzles me is what you see on the following two photos taken from the back of the bike. First the right side, everything just looking fine. But then the left side: is this really gonna help in case of a fall or slide ?



 
PowerDubs_imp said:
I went down on the left side of my bike w/ motech guards- not a scratch on the engine.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How did the bars hold up? Did you have to replace or were they good enough?
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
I went down on the left side of my bike w/ motech guards- not a scratch on the engine.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And does the left side look the same on your bike ?
 
Those bolts holding the satoracing sliders would have to be strong (shear strength) in ways which I think a standard 8.8 or 10.9 screw could not provide, in particular if the slider ended up into a hole or at a curbstone and it had to hold the whole weight of the bike times 5 or more (fast deceleration). Next candidate, 12.9 bolts (extra hard) are not that much better, but have other drawbacks. Beyond these three classes, bolts get very expensive, and could no more be included at a reasonable price. I am afraid I wouldn't recomm trusting such sliders mounted like this.
 
j3gq_imp said:
Those bolts holding the satoracing sliders would have to be strong (shear strength) in ways which I think a standard 8.8 or 10.9 screw could not provide, in particular if the slider ended up into a hole or at a curbstone and it had to hold the whole weight of the bike times 5 or more (fast deceleration). Next candidate, 12.9 bolts (extra hard) are not that much better, but have other drawbacks. Beyond these three classes, bolts get very expensive, and could no more be included at a reasonable price. I am afraid I wouldn't recomm trusting such sliders mounted like this.
It would be a down day if the said slider was tested, and as j3gp has pointed out, the stud went "clink" on impact and the CB1100 subsequently did a 180 degree twirl in the air.

At least that part of the frame might be protected.
 
The original owner put those sliders on my bike. Hope I never need to test them. There, now I just jinxed myself.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
The original owner put those sliders on my bike. Hope I never need to test them. There, now I just jinxed myself.
You should be okay Gin60. Everything in LA is paved over. No edges to catch. :D
 

Yesterday I mounted the SW Motec bars on my 2013. Went for the more subtle black ones to match the engine. Slowly making it mine.
 
mrded_imp said:
I have SW-MOTECH engine guards and they don’t allow to lean the bike far. Something to consider while choosing between guards and sliders.

eab7ccd90710d24333c53a8b9a7f9314.jpg
Inside my garage, I took the time and looked at my SW-MoTech crashbar and the angles between the center-line and the bar. Man, if you made these scratches at 50 mph, you're a hell of a rider. Looks to me as if you had to lean over 45 deg. The other thing is, on the left side installing the crashbar changes nothing, the engine block limits the lean angel almost as much. To the right side, yes, there is a little difference, but I don't think I 'll ever get there intentionally.
 
Back
Top