Frame sliders/engine guards

Cqrlm911_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
New cb1100ex and I know at some point the bike will fall....hopefully only in a parking lot. What kind of engine guard do most folks install? I assume frame sliders will not offer same protection...more disadvantages with frame sliders? Thoughts ? thanks
 
i will be the one to go against the grain and say that i strongly prefer frame sliders. they still keep the engine from touching the ground, they slide more smoothly on pavement than would metal bars, and they weigh much much less and affect the overall look of the bike much less. you've gotta buy the right ones that mount in the right place, though. I use Moriwaki sliders myself.
 
My favourites are these... Hepco & Becker offers motorcycle parts of the highest quality from Hepco & Becker.
I like them because they fix straight onto a frame/engine mount bolt (not on an extended piece of a clamp or similar, they are really chunky and solid and they're discreet and well-designed.

Sliders do the job if fitted appropriately and of good enough quality, but I think they look unattractive on the shiny CBs - they're OK on the black ones though!
 
The Over engine guards are available form Samurider , I have the stainless steel ones but they are also available in black. Check the website from Samurider and you will find them and others as well .
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
i will be the one to go against the grain and say that i strongly prefer frame sliders. they still keep the engine from touching the ground, they slide more smoothly on pavement than would metal bars, and they weigh much much less and affect the overall look of the bike much less. you've gotta buy the right ones that mount in the right place, though. I use Moriwaki sliders myself.
Agree with the exception that I like the R&G sliders.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
i will be the one to go against the grain and say that i strongly prefer frame sliders. they still keep the engine from touching the ground, they slide more smoothly on pavement than would metal bars, and they weigh much much less and affect the overall look of the bike much less. you've gotta buy the right ones that mount in the right place, though. I use Moriwaki sliders myself.
all may be true, but...you can put hiway pegs on the engine guard bars and this gives you some leg stretch flexibility if you do long trips.
 
I have the Honda guards on my 2014 Deluxe. Part #: 08P70-MGC-N20 (if it's a 2017, the Part # is 08P70-MGC-JB0)

 
Thread starter
TINK_imp said:
I have the Honda guards on my 2014 Deluxe. Part #: 08P70-MGC-N20 (if it's a 2017, the Part # is 08P70-MGC-JB0)
Thanks for clarification....I almost ordered wrong part. Any suggestions on best sellers of OEM Honda parts? Thanks
 
pdedse_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
i will be the one to go against the grain and say that i strongly prefer frame sliders. they still keep the engine from touching the ground, they slide more smoothly on pavement than would metal bars, and they weigh much much less and affect the overall look of the bike much less. you've gotta buy the right ones that mount in the right place, though. I use Moriwaki sliders myself.
all may be true, but...you can put hiway pegs on the engine guard bars and this gives you some leg stretch flexibility if you do long trips.
i think age group and orientation have given us two completely different ideas of what constitutes comfort :rofl:
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
i will be the one to go against the grain and say that i strongly prefer frame sliders. they still keep the engine from touching the ground, they slide more smoothly on pavement than would metal bars, and they weigh much much less and affect the overall look of the bike much less. you've gotta buy the right ones that mount in the right place, though. I use Moriwaki sliders myself.
all may be true, but...you can put hiway pegs on the engine guard bars and this gives you some leg stretch flexibility if you do long trips.
i think age group and orientation have given us two completely different ideas of what constitutes comfort :rofl:
i think age group and orientation have given us two completely different ideas of what constitutes comfort :rofl:
Very likely! My right hip joint gets tight on long rides at times. I did an OR to Illinois trip a couple of summers ago on my CB1100. In reality, I probably used the hiway pegs about 30-45 minutes per day; but having that option made the 10 hour riding days over two weeks a lot more tolerable.
 
it's just that given the position of the bars, seat height, controls, tank shape and weight distribution on this bike i can't imagine using highway pegs to be very comfortable. typically bikes that have highway pegs are ergo'd so that you can lean back, but you can't quite do that on the CB. wouldn't that leave you all folded up?
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
it's just that given the position of the bars, seat height, controls, tank shape and weight distribution on this bike i can't imagine using highway pegs to be very comfortable. typically bikes that have highway pegs are ergo'd so that you can lean back, but you can't quite do that on the CB. wouldn't that leave you all folded up?
I think the only factor you mention above that affects comfort when stretching out the legs is the handle bar position...but I have long arms and so that isn't much of a "a stretch" for me. I never used hiway pegs on curvy mountain sections, or in city riding where you would need to shift and brake lots. Just on the long, lonely sections of hiway out in the middle of South Dakota somewhere, or in the middle of Montana...let's say it's 5pm, you've already been riding for 7,8 hours, same position all day...having the option of stretching the legs for 10 minutes--that's when it feels nice. But riding with legs stretched forward all day...no; in that case, you'd be right--probably not very comfortable and better a different bike if that's what is needed.
 
SW-Motech here, I like the black on black look.

Ouch, too late, anybody know where I can get a replacement cover?

b9af6a4b909c8a27d01b34dbacdd5c7f.jpg


Saving this side

7140fef6cd895e188113d829eaacaf93.jpg


I think they look pretty good.

0152cc1b2b45de3be2618c38afd761db.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
That cover is $95.40 on partsfish. Is 128.49 list. Other part houses may be cheaper.
 
Back
Top