Fowl Play

Ben70_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I was enjoying my loop through the foothills west of Willows and Orland when I spotted a trio of turkey vultures enjoying a roadside snack. I began slowing as the two on the outside hopped off and the one on the inside jumped up and took a couple quick flaps in front of me. I zigged and just caught the end of a wing on my left mirror with a light thump.
A quick glance in the mirror showed no apparent damage to the bird, and I stopped shortly after to get this photo of Stony Creek.

Lots of water for this time of year after our wet winter last year. I spotted roadside deer lounging in the shade of the oaks, a flock of turkeys, a ground squirrel perched on a fence post and doves were weaving across the road, all close to the creek in the otherwise dry landscape.
West of I-5 there was no traffic today, had a very enjoyable ride.

Ben
.
 
Luckily you didnt take on that bird head on. Chances are he'd have cleaned off that newly painted windshield lol
 
Thread starter
Yeah, I spotted them in the middle of a curve and slowed from 60-ish to 30-ish by the time I got there. I watch for wildlife all the time, it's not just the Geico squirrel out to get me.

Ben
 
Punching a large bird into that screen would be a sad thing.

Feel free to send any surplus rain our way. God knows we need it.
 
I like that windshield too.. what kind is that ? .. did you paint it, I would imagine.. winter is coming.. it looks like that gives you lots of protection..
 
We have turkey vultures here. You need to be on your toes if you happen up on them. Sometimes they won’t fly away until you get real close,or other times at quite a distance.
 
here too in ventura.. but I haven't had any wait till the last minute to fly .. I have hit smaller birds though.. can't remember what kind they were.. they were flocking birds and their instinct to stay in formation was their demise..
 
Chuckk_imp said:
I like that windshield too.. what kind is that ? .. did you paint it, I would imagine.. winter is coming.. it looks like that gives you lots of protection..
Not here it isn't!
 
it is starting to get cooler on our mountain rides.. 5000 to 8000 feet.. almost time to put away the summer jacket.. maybe check out the heated vest and gloves, just to be sure everything still works..
 
Thread starter
Chuckk... that is a Plexistar 2 and I painted it on the inside with Rustoleum Peel Coat- their version of Plastidip.Several coats of silver followed by dark gray to make the inside flat and non reflective.
I like the looks too, and it is quite functional. We had a cold snap here and it was nice. I think I will add the MRA touring spoiler, as recommended by a fellow member, as it is noisier than
I like. On the freeway the other day, I found that the noise decreases once I get over 80, but I don't do that all day. But I am sure the bike will.

Ben
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Chuckk_imp said:
I like that windshield too.. what kind is that ? .. did you paint it, I would imagine.. winter is coming.. it looks like that gives you lots of protection..
Not here it isn't!
Not here it isn't!
Do you even get a full-out "winter"?

More like spring/summer'ish?, followed by the surface of Mercury?
 
it gets a little chilly here.. at least when one rides in the mountains 30 miles away.. I went into a 2 wheel drift on this road.. was taking a hair pin turn in the road and just drifted onto the shoulder where I hit frozen gravel.. I thought surely I would high side, but I just came to a stop.. a guy in a truck that was following me just shook his head with a smile.. I was lucky .. the temp drops to the low 40's.. that is kinda chilly when you are on a bike..
ad743390a10e5718a8008a34e8e824ba.jpg
[/b
0c3477162d248e0b02541c528b51bafd.jpg

one more pic.. it is just beautiful in the mountains when it snows ..
c50c0442ccd2ac93952aba983f7d37bb.jpg
 
Back
Top