Found Frame Scratches!!!

Needless to say I was a bit pissed and dismayed, but I'm a good customer and on very good terms with the dealer so I was confident they would do the right thing.
This is the third new bike I bought from them.
There was no hesitation on their part about replacing the headers.
It's still a mystery how that kind of damage could have happened and there was no damage to the nearby areas, such as the front fender. There was no way in the world I could have done the damage without wrecking the bike!
While the bike was up on the lift being prepped for delivery, I don't see how the tech could have missed the damage. Cleaning the pipes is part of the prep.(??)
Oh well, I have a new set of headers and the bike is the jewel in my modest collection.
 
Rocky_imp said:
Needless to say I was a bit pissed and dismayed, but I'm a good customer and on very good terms with the dealer so I was confident they would do the right thing.
This is the third new bike I bought from them.
There was no hesitation on their part about replacing the headers.
It's still a mystery how that kind of damage could have happened and there was no damage to the nearby areas, such as the front fender. There was no way in the world I could have done the damage without wrecking the bike!
While the bike was up on the lift being prepped for delivery, I don't see how the tech could have missed the damage. Cleaning the pipes is part of the prep.(??)
Oh well, I have a new set of headers and the bike is the jewel in my modest collection.
"Modest collection"? Compared to me you look like Jay Leno :). Good luck to you!

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Rocky_imp said:
Needless to say I was a bit pissed and dismayed, but I'm a good customer and on very good terms with the dealer so I was confident they would do the right thing.
This is the third new bike I bought from them.
There was no hesitation on their part about replacing the headers.
It's still a mystery how that kind of damage could have happened and there was no damage to the nearby areas, such as the front fender. There was no way in the world I could have done the damage without wrecking the bike!
While the bike was up on the lift being prepped for delivery, I don't see how the tech could have missed the damage. Cleaning the pipes is part of the prep.(??)
Oh well, I have a new set of headers and the bike is the jewel in my modest collection.
"Modest collection"? Compared to me you look like Jay Leno :). Good luck to you!

Cheers
"Modest collection"? Compared to me you look like Jay Leno :). Good luck to you!

Cheers
:rofl: thanks for the compliment and good wishes :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Rocky_imp said:
This thread brings up an issue that I didn't bother to mention before.
After I rode my CB home on patches of wet pavement I began to wipe the bike down after it had cooled down a bit. While I was down on my knees I noticed damage to the exhaust pipes that should have been obvious to the mechanic while the bike was being prepped.
I took the bike back to the dealer and they agreed to replace the exhaust headers. The dealer had no explanation for the damage and only guessed it might have been done by a fork lift.
When I took it back for the new headers they did a 100% check of the entire bike to make sure there were no other issues - and there were none.
Those scratches go horizontal left to right also. Weird doesn't look like road damage. Well I'm going in in a few hours. Normally I wouldn't care but this isn't a super cheap bike so I expect to have a pristine frame at 1 week old haha
 
holy666diver_imp said:
I have had my brand new CB1100 for a week now and I decided to put it up on the center stand and give it a good polish and I noticed to small scratches on the black frame! They are about 2 inches each and go down tot he steel so the whole black coating is scraped off. I have not hit any rough terrain or done any crazy riding. I only have 160 miles on the bike. Should I take it back tot he dealer? I was reading small scratches to a frame could mean it's totaled. I means its a weird spot to get a scratch my pegs have zero scratches my pipes (which are way closer tot he ground) don't have any either.

Also notice the exhaust is bent in where they meet is that normal?

Pics
Your frame scratches look like "shipping rub" to me. I'd let the dealer do a warranty repair or fix it myself if I had the materials on hand. My CB has the same bend in the exhaust collector - it's normal.

~ The Bee
 
Thread starter
The dealer said they would repaint and finish the scratches when I bring it in for my 600 mile service. They said they must have missed it during inspection. Should i be worried or is re-finishing good enough. Just worry about my resale
 
holy666diver_imp said:
The dealer said they would repaint and finish the scratches when I bring it in for my 600 mile service. They said they must have missed it during inspection. Should i be worried or is re-finishing good enough. Just worry about my resale
What's the alternative? Tear down and a complete frame repaint? They'll cause even more damage doing that.

Check the work after they fix it, and if it's decent, forget about it. At least it's just plain black frame paint and not the multi-layer tank paint.
 
I don't know but my money is on Honda and the dealer to Make it right. I don't know your dealer but I have never seen a bad Honda dealer. Big deal to keep you happy.

On a side bar purchased a 2011 Honda Fit small spot on roof from a seagull they tried to buff it out would not work they repainted the entire roof and did a great job also they used at the time a brand new product they refereed too as ceramic clear coat big money finish since then nothing stains the roof of that fit. I think they went way beyond the call with that. Back to the motorcycle dealer they have replaced fenders tanks handle bars seats at no charge. Stuff happens..

Okay I'm done kissing up to Honda.
 
holy666diver_imp said:
The dealer said they would repaint and finish the scratches when I bring it in for my 600 mile service. They said they must have missed it during inspection. Should i be worried or is re-finishing good enough. Just worry about my resale
If you did not notice the scratches when you took delivery why would you even waste your time worrying about the resale after it's painted???
 
Most bikes are going to pick up a scratch here and there during your ownership period. And most, if not all, buyers of pre-owned bikes realize this.

What you should be concerned with is why you are so worried about resale on a bike that you have only 160 miles on?! This is your honeymoon period, fer cryin' out loud man. Kind of like being on your honeymoon night and wondering what the future divorce will cost you.
 
Thread starter
Who would want to buy a buy a brand new that is consider totaled? I was worried because I read insurance companies consider Frame scratches "totaled" and I didn't want it to effect my brand new bikes value. After they paint it I won't care just upset my brand new bike had scratches that exposed the frame metal before I even hit 200 miles. I am not worried about selling it lol I'll probably keep it 10+ years. More or less I was mad at the dealer
 
Thread starter
Damfino_imp said:
Wow! Frame scratches = totaled? That's a new one on me....
Yeah insurance companies consider frame scratches structural damage and most of the time it costs more to replace the frame and reassemble than the bikes value is.
 
If the insurance is going to total it, claim it now. If they won't total it for the little scratches then that answers your question. If they do, buy it back at a low salvage price and pocket the rest. Either way sanding and paint repair will result in a perfectly sound bike.
 
When I was in the industry as a Service Manager, and doing wreck estimates, if a frame had a dent,even a small one, or visible rash, it went on the estimate, and if the customer insisted on replacement, yes sometimes that totaled the bike. Quite often an allowance from the customers deductible was used to cover such things if they did not affect the bike structurally. If a customer insists he had a perfect bike before an accident you are obligated as an estimate writer to include everything that showed any damage, no matter how slight and let the customer and insurance company work it out.

I'm pretty sure in an insurers eye, the damage on the frame in question, would just need to be sanded in that area and repainted, although depending on how thorough the shop doing the work, that could easily amount to several hundred dollars if they had to strip parts and reinstall parts to repaint.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
If the insurance is going to total it, claim it now. If they won't total it for the little scratches then that answers your question. If they do, buy it back at a low salvage price and pocket the rest. Either way sanding and paint repair will result in a perfectly sound bike.
I agree with that. The main point is to cover any bare metal to keep rust from starting.
 
Paint scratches vs. frame damage - not the same thing.
On another note, I have a nice, color matched paint pen that I got a the craft store that I use to touch up when necessary.
 
I think he was really upset being a new bike and all. I think there's a unspoken trust we all have with dealerships that gets broken when these type of things happen.
Of course we understand that a new bike today is not pocket change. I understand the disappointment. I hope it all works out for him. Purchase of a new motorcyle is truly a magical moment in our life.
Thanks
 
Back
Top