Found Frame Scratches!!!

holy666diver_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I have had my brand new CB1100 for a week now and I decided to put it up on the center stand and give it a good polish and I noticed to small scratches on the black frame! They are about 2 inches each and go down tot he steel so the whole black coating is scraped off. I have not hit any rough terrain or done any crazy riding. I only have 160 miles on the bike. Should I take it back tot he dealer? I was reading small scratches to a frame could mean it's totaled. I means its a weird spot to get a scratch my pegs have zero scratches my pipes (which are way closer tot he ground) don't have any either.

Also notice the exhaust is bent in where they meet is that normal?

Pics
 
On the plus side the exhaust dent is just a shield so it's not in an area that will effect flow.
 
Thread starter
Well I'm bringing it in tomorrow. I know 100% it was not me its an odd place to scrape and it doesn't look like a road did it. I was just reading scratches on a frame total out a bike and I want to resell my bike one day and I wouldn't have bought a bike with a scraped frame lol.

Not sure what to expect from the dealer I don't really trust them and I'll be pissed if they say I did it.
 
At most they are going to touch it up. And you can buy the frame paint at Honda. You aren't getting a new bike if that's what you hope.

But I would let them take a look.
 
Where there any miles on it when you picked it up from the dealer? Perhaps somebody test drove it hit some road trash. Also the dealer may not be aware of it.
I'm sure the dealer and Honda will handle correctly. Myself I had a few cosmetic issues with Hondas I did not notice till I washed and waxed the bike weeks later dealer handled them urgently I was very satisfied with their sense of urgency.
 
I had a car once when I noticed the door panel pushed in from a certain angle, dealer agreed to pay half because they said it could have happened in my possession too, not much proof


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
1 mile! Brand new. The scratches look like they are from left to right not front to back looks like it was scratched unloading or during install
 
Scratches will not "total out" the frame. They can, assuming they are surface only, be rubbed out and repainted with corrosion resistant paint. Cracks, even hairline, or corrosion, or being bent, will require professional assessment and repair. In some cases the frame may be un-repairable.

Take it back. Did the dealers mechanic test the bike after preparation and prior to delivery to you? Some do.

Good luck, and if they are only surface scratches, relax.

Cheers
holy666diver_imp said:
1 mile! Brand new. The scratches look like they are from left to right not front to back looks like it was scratched unloading or during install
You could be right there.

Cheers
 
Quick question did your dealer get the bike from another dealer perhaps it happened in transport? Also did they have you sign a checklist when you picked up the bike?
I believe the Honda mother ship requires a signed off check list.
 
Thread starter
Stealth128_imp said:
Quick question did your dealer get the bike from another dealer perhaps it happened in transport? Also did they have you sign a checklist when you picked up the bike?
I believe the Honda mother ship requires a signed off check list.
No I didn't sign a checklist. I think they had it delivered straight to them.
 
My own experience with dealers and Honda was always top shelf. The dealer ordered the parts and Honda ship them next day.
I understand that stuff happens in shipment and even in the show room and so do they, Hope it all works out for you!
 
Mr Jangles_imp said:
It looks like someone tried to put it on a jack or a lift and messed up?
This.

A quick tip for those who are buying new motorcycles. ALWAYS, do a walk around on day of delivery with your sales rep BEFORE even sitting on the bike.

Good luck, as I fear the dealer won't do much to help you.
 
Thread starter
xNE0x_imp said:
Mr Jangles_imp said:
It looks like someone tried to put it on a jack or a lift and messed up?
This.

A quick tip for those who are buying new motorcycles. ALWAYS, do a walk around on day of delivery with your sales rep BEFORE even sitting on the bike.

Good luck, as I fear the dealer won't do much to help you.
This.

A quick tip for those who are buying new motorcycles. ALWAYS, do a walk around on day of delivery with your sales rep BEFORE even sitting on the bike.

Good luck, as I fear the dealer won't do much to help you.
Well I'd have to put the bike on the center stand, lay down stick my head under the frame at the dealer and find the scrapes. Not obvious to the naked eye I found it by feeling under the frame. I did a good inspection before I bought but I didn't get under the bike
 
You know the more I look at that dent in the exhaust mine has the same remember seeing it when I changed to the slip on. So that may be the norm. The scratches I just can't figure out?..
 
Good luck holy666diver. If you don't get satisfaction from the dealer, go straight to Honda.
 
This thread brings up an issue that I didn't bother to mention before.
After I rode my CB home on patches of wet pavement I began to wipe the bike down after it had cooled down a bit. While I was down on my knees I noticed damage to the exhaust pipes that should have been obvious to the mechanic while the bike was being prepped.
I took the bike back to the dealer and they agreed to replace the exhaust headers. The dealer had no explanation for the damage and only guessed it might have been done by a fork lift.
When I took it back for the new headers they did a 100% check of the entire bike to make sure there were no other issues - and there were none.
 

Mother of god I would have been PISSED!!
 
Randy B_imp said:
Mother of god I would have been PISSED!!
I'd have got PISSED :D

Wonder how they did that damage. If the bikes rolls over a gutter step down you will, normally, get the dent, but not the upper side scratch, maybe the bottom. Maybe they run it up a gutter, or a concrete centre divide of some sort. Anyway it ended up OK.

Cheers
 
Back
Top