Fork seal leak

shdwghst457_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Well, after taking my CB back to the dealership today to have the GPS device uninstalled (didn't like the interface) the tech noticed that my front right fork seal is leaking! So now I'm without my bike for an undetermined amount of time, as they can't even order the part until Tuesday, and it's leaking down onto the brake!
 
wow, wonder what caused that? Make sure they look at the fork tube for any scratches or rock dings
 
Thread starter
I haven't a clue. Bike only had 86 miles on it at the time they diagnosed it. I think it might be as simple as a defective seal.
 
Damn, 86 miles is way too early to see that problem.

While we're on the topic, I am starting to find a few very small bumps here and there on my forks. Most of it is up above the triple tree area but there are some tiny bits down below, too. I think it's mostly above where the seals would travel but no guarantee.
I want to take care of it before it becomes a bigger problem.
Can I gently buff those out without removing the forks, with some polish and a rag or 0000 steel wool?
 
If the chrome is blistering, it is defective. If its tree sap or something you can remove it but if you aggressively polish it or try to smooth the plating itself with steel wool you are changing a Honda warranty problem into your (expensive) problem.
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
I haven't a clue. Bike only had 86 miles on it at the time they diagnosed it. I think it might be as simple as a defective seal.
I think you're probably right. Either that or it wasn't properly installed at the factory. Honda's stock seals are pretty tough. The ones on my CB750 lasted for 16 years. They probably would have gone longer, but I destroyed them by mounting windshield brackets too low on the fork tube.
 
Thread starter
Nice. Well, it's a bummer no matter how I spin it. It was beautiful here today and my office gave us Presidents' Day off! Too bad the dealerships can't give out loaners like car dealerships; they said the insurance company won't let them. =/ At least I got to ride it home and take it out once before taking it back to the shop!
 
Thread starter
Bad deal! The shop ordered my seal today from Honda, and it won't arrive until next Thursday! What to do? I've called Honda directly, and they don't like that my 85 miles-on-the-odo bike is going to be at the shop longer than I've had it, so they've sent it over to a case manager. Gotta love Honda!
 
good deal. Hope you get taken care of post haste.
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
Nice. Well, it's a bummer no matter how I spin it. It was beautiful here today and my office gave us Presidents' Day off! Too bad the dealerships can't give out loaners like car dealerships; they said the insurance company won't let them. =/ At least I got to ride it home and take it out once before taking it back to the shop!

They might not have loaners but I believe they could get you on
A demo bike since those are insured by the dealer. I remember a time my triumph street triple was in for a bad regulator rectifier it was there for more than a week and I do have a car but wanted to test ride a Bonneville. So I went down the dealer making up story that I could not afford a rental car anymore since the bike was my only mode of transportation so they made me choose between a Daytona or Bonneville, I chose the Bonnie and went up north with it and put about 1000 miles within the two weeks that I had it.

Anyway goodluck on the warranty work and hope you get your baby back soon.
 
Thread starter
I actually knew that BMW did loaners now that you've reminded me; I forgot in the moment. Thanks for all of your support while I go through these dark times. It's been great riding weather every day here since I dropped it off (except for the fog this morning)!
 
lola_imp said:
shdwghst457_imp said:
Nice. Well, it's a bummer no matter how I spin it. It was beautiful here today and my office gave us Presidents' Day off! Too bad the dealerships can't give out loaners like car dealerships; they said the insurance company won't let them. =/ At least I got to ride it home and take it out once before taking it back to the shop!

They might not have loaners but I believe they could get you on
A demo bike since those are insured by the dealer. I remember a time my triumph street triple was in for a bad regulator rectifier it was there for more than a week and I do have a car but wanted to test ride a Bonneville. So I went down the dealer making up story that I could not afford a rental car anymore since the bike was my only mode of transportation so they made me choose between a Daytona or Bonneville, I chose the Bonnie and went up north with it and put about 1000 miles within the two weeks that I had it.

Anyway goodluck on the warranty work and hope you get your baby back soon.
You don't run across too many Japanese bike dealers that do demos. At least not around my area.
 
Did they give you any idea of why it was leaking?
 
Thread starter
Negative, just that it was defective. Maybe more will come to light when they do the installation. I can't stand waiting almost 2 weeks for a part to come in!
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
Negative, just that it was defective. Maybe more will come to light when they do the installation. I can't stand waiting almost 2 weeks for a part to come in!
2 weeks is nothing! It was more than 2 months for me when I got knocked off last summer and needed a bunch of cosmetic repairs done. I don't think the actual work they had to do was intensive, it was just a matter of waiting for all the parts to come in.

Glad you're almost there -- enjoy the hell out of the bike once you get it back!!
 
Not that it has anything to do with this, but I'd hate to tell you how long it takes for an oem part to come in for my son's Ducati.
 
When a switch failed under warranty for an Aprilia that I used to have, they didn't know if they could ever get one at all. I told them to forget it and bought one from eBay.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
When a switch failed under warranty for an Aprilia that I used to have, they didn't know if they could ever get one at all. I told them to forget it and bought one from eBay.

Really? Holy crap.. That's bad!
 
Back
Top