Fork Protectors, an alternative to Gaitors?

Tev62

Road warrior
Thread starter
If you are not mad on fork gaiters but want to protect your fork stanchions an alternative is to use a fork protector. I had a new pair lying around which I purchased in error and decided to see if they would fit the CB. Turns out they fit exactly so here they are on my 2017MY EX. I do like the look of gaiters, but these will do me for now and it takes two minutes to put them on, the forks don’t have to come off to install.

These were used on Triumph bikes from the mid 90’s but they still sell them new. Part number A9641010 which is a set of two with the nut and bolt. Lowest price I have seen them is £20 on ebay and up to £44 orderable by a Triumph dealer. For those with an eye you can see this is a pair of identical units, so the nut and bolt are the same side on each so one side you see the bolt head and the other you see the nut end.

I have seen cheaper, these for example but they don't look quite so well. https://www.louis.ie/artikel/fork-p...9da9a08399&filter_article_number=10026885

What do you think? I'll run with them for now, I quite like the effect and they should go some way to protecting crud getting past the dust seal to the fork seals.







 
I believe they change the looks of the traditional CB more than gaiters, but the economics are favourable.

I just wished that in 2021 (deep into the 21st century folks!) fork seals would be superior to those of past decades.
 
Thread starter
I had forgotten I had had them but after a commute to work today on the CB I noticed the fork station "tide mark" even though the day was dry just with a bit of dampness in the air. You could see the effect the dust seals were having pushing the road muck up. I'm not 100% convinced they suit the bike but I will leave them on and see if they grow on me.
 
First things I took OFF of my 2003 Bonneville, then I installed Kawasaki w650 fork gaiters on it lol
 
Thread starter
Addendum - don't do this with these Triumph ones, they just catch the horn on heavy braking. They sit a tiny bit too far forward but other designs may not. There is a drain channel at the base of these at the front and it holds the blade slightly too far forward to clear the horn. :blush:
 


I bought a cheapo generic pair off eBay for about £10. They look smaller than the Triumph ones and sit nearer the fork tube, they are held on by black zip ties not a bolt but are plenty secure enough. Put them on my RS. They don’t catch anything (i.e. horns).
 
Thread starter
Jfro5687_imp said:
I bought a cheapo generic pair off eBay for about £10. They look smaller than the Triumph ones and sit nearer the fork tube, they are held on by black zip ties not a bolt but are plenty secure enough. Put them on my RS. They don’t catch anything (i.e. horns).
I think they are the same ones I referenced in my post, good to know they fit, cheers jfro5678.
The ferret_imp said:
Dremel some off Tev
It's catching on a good length of it unfortunately, maybe about a cm. It is not the length causing the issue, it is the amount they stick out from the fork.
 
Tev62_imp said:
Addendum - don't do this with these Triumph ones, they just catch the horn on heavy braking. They sit a tiny bit too far forward but other designs may not. There is a drain channel at the base of these at the front and it holds the blade slightly too far forward to clear the horn. :blush:
I fitted these on my RS and just fitted two 10mm spacers under the horn bracket, sorts the problem.
 
Welcome CB1100RS!!

Post up a pic of your fix if you get a chance.
 
Thread starter
CB1100RS_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
Addendum - don't do this with these Triumph ones, they just catch the horn on heavy braking. They sit a tiny bit too far forward but other designs may not. There is a drain channel at the base of these at the front and it holds the blade slightly too far forward to clear the horn. :blush:
I fitted these on my RS and just fitted two 10mm spacers under the horn bracket, sorts the problem.
I fitted these on my RS and just fitted two 10mm spacers under the horn bracket, sorts the problem. I had thought about this, I might try it too. :beerchug:
 
Tev62_imp said:
CB1100RS_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
Addendum - don't do this with these Triumph ones, they just catch the horn on heavy braking. They sit a tiny bit too far forward but other designs may not. There is a drain channel at the base of these at the front and it holds the blade slightly too far forward to clear the horn. :blush:
I fitted these on my RS and just fitted two 10mm spacers under the horn bracket, sorts the problem.
I fitted these on my RS and just fitted two 10mm spacers under the horn bracket, sorts the problem. I had thought about this, I might try it too. :beerchug:
I fitted these on my RS and just fitted two 10mm spacers under the horn bracket, sorts the problem. I had thought about this, I might try it too. :beerchug:
79ebf4b64524e19969f6c2051d2ed981.jpg


eabede6d3eb62f6ca4e01e21f2d06110.jpg

I just swapped out the original allen bolts for longer 35mm items.
If i remember correctly Triumph do actually make a shorter version of the fork protector, i believe for faired models but i chose to go with the longer variant for maximum protection.
 
Thread starter
Many thanks for the pics.

If i remember correctly Triumph do actually make a shorter version of the fork protector, i believe for faired models but i chose to go with the longer variant for maximum protection.

Yes, I thought they had shorter ones for the faired models too and I had ordered these for my Daytona from the Daytone parts fiche but they are too long for that aswell?
 
It's this:
JW Speaker 7 Inch LED Headlight - Adaptive

The brackets come with the Dart Flyscreen for the 2017+ CB1100 Models. These brackets need to be longer in order to get the flyscreen fitted. So Dart supplies their own (longer) brackets, which are of superb quality and at least as good as the originals. It looks like laser-cut stainless steel. Very strong quality.

To fit the JW Speaker unit, a new and sufficiently large headlight bucket was needed. When I started this modification in around 09/2019, Motodemic still offered the steel made black bucket in 7" size, and I ordered it. It could be of Triumph origin, but I cannot guarantee that. Heavy duty quality bucket, that is for sure. Looks 100% like those on Triumph bikes...

However, right now, in their Motodemic webshop I can find 5 3/4" Buckets only.

I have described the mod in this forum earlier. Wire-wise it was a medium headache at least, as Honda uses a very "unusual" 8-pin-plug for their LED headlight. That had to be figured out and happened to work only with the help of special adapters solution eventually. For me as a complete non-electric a real adventure and I had to learn and understand a lot. For those who are familiar eit elctricity, it should be easy, or at least easier.

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....548&page=3

So far, the headlight-mod has proven very, very good and dependable. Very nice bright light indeed, on both wet and dry roads. It really puts its lumens on the road, yet not blinding the uncoming traffic. I really like it so much, even after 18 months of using it. Nightrides have become so much safer. Every ride, a real "high-light" :cool:

And the look - I like it myself, too.
 
Ulljanrich_imp said:
It's this:
JW Speaker 7 Inch LED Headlight - Adaptive

The brackets come with the Dart Flyscreen for the 2017+ CB1100 Models. These brackets need to be longer in order to get the flyscreen fitted. So Dart supplies their own (longer) brackets, which are of superb quality and at least as good as the originals. It looks like laser-cut stainless steel. Very strong quality.

To fit the JW Speaker unit, a new and sufficiently large headlight bucket was needed. When I started this modification in around 09/2019, Motodemic still offered the steel made black bucket in 7" size, and I ordered it. It could be of Triumph origin, but I cannot guarantee that. Heavy duty quality bucket, that is for sure. Looks 100% like those on Triumph bikes...

However, right now, in their Motodemic webshop I can find 5 3/4" Buckets only.

I have described the mod in this forum earlier. Wire-wise it was a medium headache at least, as Honda uses a very "unusual" 8-pin-plug for their LED headlight. That had to be figured out and happened to work only with the help of special adapters solution eventually. For me as a complete non-electric a real adventure and I had to learn and understand a lot. For those who are familiar eit elctricity, it should be easy, or at least easier.

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....548&page=3

So far, the headlight-mod has proven very, very good and dependable. Very nice bright light indeed, on both wet and dry roads. It really puts its lumens on the road, yet not blinding the uncoming traffic. I really like it so much, even after 18 months of using it. Nightrides have become so much safer. Every ride, a real "high-light" :cool:

And the look - I like it myself, too.

That is a serious headlight offering.
 
Back
Top