For those who like to wave

LongRanger_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
When I'm on the road, I'll usually wave at oncoming motorcyclists, just to express some camaraderie. No big deal if they don't wave back -- I don't always reciprocate myself.

But here's what I've noticed: When I'm riding one of my BMW's, almost everyone will wave back, regardless of the bike they're riding. It's all very cordial.

When I'm riding the CB, however, very few riders will wave back, and BMW riders will absolutely not wave back. I think it's really strange. Is the CB not wave-worthy? Anyone else experience this?
 
I feel like it has a lot to do with location. When I lived in IN, 95% of riders waved. In Seattle, it's only about 50%.
 
olekzap_imp said:
I feel like it has a lot to do with location. When I lived in IN, 95% of riders waved. In Seattle, it's only about 50%.
Yup. Cities don't. Towns or areas with lots of riders, don't. What you ride does matter; I have a little TW200 - and get fewer waves.

Harley riders don't wave. The HOG by-laws forbid a wave to a non-Harley, I think.

Scooterers wave frantically. Woe unto you if you're seen giving a wave to a scooterer.

Other than that, there's no pattern - and it doesn't matter. It's not like the secret handshake of the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes.
 
I get waves from most here in Baltimore, though some harley riders seem hesitant. At this time of year, I am seeing more respectful looks since its getting colder.
 
Los Angeles waves, mostly. Sometimes it amazes me when I'm in the canyons and some guys are hitting corners super hard, almost knee dragging, and they're still throwing the wave!! Or even on the freeway, sometimes waves coming from the other direction across the center divider.
 
Depends if I'm in the city or out on the road. 50/50 on waves when in Vancouver. Once you're outside the city though this probably climbs to about 85%+.

I think the comradery and community thing means a bit more when you're in areas where running out of gas or getting a puncture or breakdown can actually make you dependent on others. The types of people I meet on 5-600k trips out of the city are also seem quite different than the Starbucks crowd.
 
Well, I greet every oncoming motorcyclist by a gentle lift of my left eyebrow. :hello:

(Ok, basically in earlier times I waved every other motorcyclist, but then we were a small crowd of non conformists, riding motorcycles. Today it's just everybody's hobby and there are too many out there. At some days, I wouldn't get my left hand back to the handle bar, as I could be continuously waving.)

When I was a student, I gave a lift to a friend of mine with my old car. While he was steering the car, he waved to an oncoming Porsche and the Porsche driver by surprise waved back. "Do you know him?", I asked. He replied: "No, but Porsche drivers greet each other." "Hm", I said, "But this is no Porsche and also you don't own a Porsche at all." "Also future Porsche drivers.", he casually mentioned.
 
On my Ural....always get waves or thumbs up. On the CB...generally about 98% wave back. I've gotten the finger once from a old guy on a Harley Sportster
 
He was probably mad he had a Sportster. Plenty of waves here in NoVA. All makes usually, BMWs are a toss up, HDs too even when I'm on a big cruiser for now, they can't tell unless I'm stopped, or they're broke down and I'm drivin' on by ;)
 
Where I live in Maryland, every motorcyclist waved back in the 60's and seventies. Then it sort of died out in the 80's and nineties. Some still waved but not even 50%. Then with the resurgence of Harley Davidson (you no longer had to wait a year for one) Waving seemed to make a come back. Older guys that had always wanted a bike when they were young finally got one. I guess they remembered how motorcyclists waved to each other.

It's funny, back in the mid 70's and eighties Harley riders would not wave back unless you were on a Harley. Today only a few won't wave.
























ra
 
When riding the CB, I don't get that many harley waves....
When riding my chopper, I get all the harley waves, they can't tell by the looks and sounds that it a honda......
I get all the waves on my valkyrie, it looks a little like a harley bagger when I meet on the hwy at speed till I go by and they realize it doesn't sound like a harley.....
I try to wave at every bike regardless, I could do without it, but don't want to be a richard about it, sometimes I feel like the county queen at the local 4th of july parade with the relentless barage of waving all the time....
 
While riding in Florida earlier this month, I rarely received return waves from riders who were helmet-less, but riders wearing helmets waved back most times.

BTW, never seen so many riders without helmets. Made me feel uncomfortable seeing them and knowing that a helmet has twice saved me from death or serious head injury. To each his own.
 
I WAVE! :hello:

Like some of you, I've noticed that outlaw, outlaw-looking, outlaw wannabes don't wave back if you don't meet the profile. Common behavior around here especially during Daytona Bike Week and Biketoberfest times. Their code won't allow it.

Last spring riding southbound on A1A, I got a middle finger salute from a seasoned "lady" passenger of an old, scruffy-looking, helmet-less Harley rider. I laughed out loud inside my lid! :D
 
The whole waving thing is funny to me. I used to live in a small town in southern Ohio and it was Harley territory. I had a Vulcan 900 Custom that I traded in to get my CB 1100, and most of the Harley guys would wave but some wouldn't if I was on the Vulcan. If I was riding my Concours 14 or my sportbike no one would wave. I moved to a smaller (but friendlier) town in central Kentucky and most riders wave no matter which bike I'm on now. :cool:
 
Back
Top