For those of you wanting to defeat the speed limiter...

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I've been doing a bit of reading, purely out of interest mind you as I don't really have any intention using one of these on my bike. (This is an example of the kind of thing I tend to fixate on at night when dealing with my sleep disorder. :()

You might want to do a bit more research on your own (and probably should), but for those of you so inclined, I believe these products are what you're looking for.

Special Agent: Negotiator = speed pulse modulator

[url=http://japan.webike.net/products/9688807.html]Magical Racing: Speed Pulse Modulator
 
and...let the games begin....!
personally not for me though.. :)
Guth_imp said:
I've been doing a bit of reading, purely out of interest mind you as I don't really have any intention using one of these on my bike. (This is an example of the kind of thing I tend to fixate on at night when dealing with my sleep disorder. :()

You might want to do a bit more research on your own (and probably should), but for those of you so inclined, I believe these products are what you're looking for.

Special Agent: Negotiator = speed pulse modulator

[url=http://japan.webike.net/products/9688807.html]Magical Racing: Speed Pulse Modulator

yes, sleep disorder is indeed an oppurtunity to learn many things... totally with you on it Guth.. I personally am a victim too.. :)
 
Deanohh_imp said:
How to Simplify Your Handmade Business Logistics in Australia | Cal Sport Bike

then there's the Speedo healer. Corrects Speedo error or for sprocket change but can be set so that for track or speed run the speedo would read way low and never reach the limited speed..... Then switched to normal for normal riding.

I'd have no clue how to install it.
This seems like a good idea only if knocked a fixed amount off at all speeds, or showed exactly half actual speed. Otherwise what would you tell your friends? "Yeah, I was going really fast." "Really? How fast?" "I don't know, I disabled my speedo!"
 
Greg_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
How to Simplify Your Handmade Business Logistics in Australia | Cal Sport Bike

then there's the Speedo healer. Corrects Speedo error or for sprocket change but can be set so that for track or speed run the speedo would read way low and never reach the limited speed..... Then switched to normal for normal riding.

I'd have no clue how to install it.
This seems like a good idea only if knocked a fixed amount off at all speeds, or showed exactly half actual speed. Otherwise what would you tell your friends? "Yeah, I was going really fast." "Really? How fast?" "I don't know, I disabled my speedo!"
This seems like a good idea only if knocked a fixed amount off at all speeds, or showed exactly half actual speed. Otherwise what would you tell your friends? "Yeah, I was going really fast." "Really? How fast?" "I don't know, I disabled my speedo!"
you adjust it to a percent so if you set -90% your Speedo would read 10 if you were going 100. Or -50% your Speedo would read 60 if you were going 120. Also recalls fastest speed of a run so you don't have to guess while you're busy trying not to crash. Or if you're Speedo is simply optimistic all the time you can just go -5.7 or whatever it takes to make it show accurate speed. Has 2 settings that you can switch back and forth.
 
Any thoughts as to why Honda put the limiter on to begin with? Or if the bike is stable/safe above that speed without mods?

VStroms are able to go faster than the stock suspension, windscreen, and bodywork can handle. The fixes are easy enough, but more than one owner crashed or ruined ther riding pants finding that out.
 
Spaceman..domestically Japan is limited to 112 mph. Our guess is they never removed whatever it is that limits top speed before exporting them.
 
Well my first thought was cool ill try one but to me it looks like you wouldnt be able to run a fuel controller or maybe it plugs in in a different place? The plan is to run an open header and velocity stacks on mine so a fuel controller is a must. Im really in to the vintage drag bikes and would like to make it look similar to them.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Any thoughts as to why Honda put the limiter on to begin with? Or if the bike is stable/safe above that speed without mods?

VStroms are able to go faster than the stock suspension, windscreen, and bodywork can handle. The fixes are easy enough, but more than one owner crashed or ruined ther riding pants finding that out.
That's an interesting point.
It may be that Honda was just lazy and left in the domestic limiter so as to have one less production variation, but compared to my Blackbird or the Speed Triple that I sold to get the CB1100, I don't feel as confident about taking the CB1100 up much past 100. Maybe it's the skinny tires, maybe it's the twin shocks but it just doesn't inspire the feeling solid stability at speed. That's kind of surprising as the steering geometry of the Speed Triple is not as conservative so it's got to be the frame, tires or suspension that's making the difference.
I'm all good with it, I obviously didn't get this bike for it's top speed :-)
 
furious_blue_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
Any thoughts as to why Honda put the limiter on to begin with? Or if the bike is stable/safe above that speed without mods?

VStroms are able to go faster than the stock suspension, windscreen, and bodywork can handle. The fixes are easy enough, but more than one owner crashed or ruined ther riding pants finding that out.
That's an interesting point.
It may be that Honda was just lazy and left in the domestic limiter so as to have one less production variation, but compared to my Blackbird or the Speed Triple that I sold to get the CB1100, I don't feel as confident about taking the CB1100 up much past 100. Maybe it's the skinny tires, maybe it's the twin shocks but it just doesn't inspire the feeling solid stability at speed. That's kind of surprising as the steering geometry of the Speed Triple is not as conservative so it's got to be the frame, tires or suspension that's making the difference.
I'm all good with it, I obviously didn't get this bike for it's top speed :-)
That's an interesting point.
It may be that Honda was just lazy and left in the domestic limiter so as to have one less production variation, but compared to my Blackbird or the Speed Triple that I sold to get the CB1100, I don't feel as confident about taking the CB1100 up much past 100. Maybe it's the skinny tires, maybe it's the twin shocks but it just doesn't inspire the feeling solid stability at speed. That's kind of surprising as the steering geometry of the Speed Triple is not as conservative so it's got to be the frame, tires or suspension that's making the difference.
I'm all good with it, I obviously didn't get this bike for it's top speed :-) I don't mind that it want go over 100 mph but the rev limiter on my bike hits the limiter at 6500 rpm! Anybody else?
 
furious_blue_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
Any thoughts as to why Honda put the limiter on to begin with? Or if the bike is stable/safe above that speed without mods?

VStroms are able to go faster than the stock suspension, windscreen, and bodywork can handle. The fixes are easy enough, but more than one owner crashed or ruined ther riding pants finding that out.
That's an interesting point.
It may be that Honda was just lazy and left in the domestic limiter so as to have one less production variation, but compared to my Blackbird or the Speed Triple that I sold to get the CB1100, I don't feel as confident about taking the CB1100 up much past 100. Maybe it's the skinny tires, maybe it's the twin shocks but it just doesn't inspire the feeling solid stability at speed. That's kind of surprising as the steering geometry of the Speed Triple is not as conservative so it's got to be the frame, tires or suspension that's making the difference.
I'm all good with it, I obviously didn't get this bike for it's top speed :-)
In 1986 Suzuki built a couple hundred GSX-R750 Limited Edition motorcycles for homologation purposes so they could race them in the Superbike Series here in America. They had dry clutches, all kinds of trick bits, and everything was super light weight. Kevin Schwantz was a holy terror on that bike hitting 140+ at high speed venues like Daytona. The tires on that motorcycle were 110/70-18 front and 140/60-18 rear. The CB1100 tires are 110/80-18 front and 140/70-18 rear, same size tires and rims as that Superbike with one size taller sidewalls.

Even at 80 MPH the air blast on the naked CB11 is pretty ferocious. It's gotta be even more fun at 110+. I think the CB11 tires are fine for high speeds if you use the Rollie Free riding technique he demonstrates below at 150 MPH on the Bonneville Salt Flats. With apologies to Thumper, "ATTGAT MY ASS" appears to be his motto as he sets a new land speed record for motorcycles on a Vincent. And if you do this and you're built like Guth, you're guaranteed to get unlimited squeals of delight from minivans full of high school cheerleaders!! Yeah baby!!!!!



Chip
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
furious_blue_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
Any thoughts as to why Honda put the limiter on to begin with? Or if the bike is stable/safe above that speed without mods?

VStroms are able to go faster than the stock suspension, windscreen, and bodywork can handle. The fixes are easy enough, but more than one owner crashed or ruined ther riding pants finding that out.
That's an interesting point.
It may be that Honda was just lazy and left in the domestic limiter so as to have one less production variation, but compared to my Blackbird or the Speed Triple that I sold to get the CB1100, I don't feel as confident about taking the CB1100 up much past 100. Maybe it's the skinny tires, maybe it's the twin shocks but it just doesn't inspire the feeling solid stability at speed. That's kind of surprising as the steering geometry of the Speed Triple is not as conservative so it's got to be the frame, tires or suspension that's making the difference.
I'm all good with it, I obviously didn't get this bike for it's top speed :-)
In 1986 Suzuki built a couple hundred GSX-R750 Limited Edition motorcycles for homologation purposes so they could race them in the Superbike Series here in America. They had dry clutches, all kinds of trick bits, and everything was super light weight. Kevin Schwantz was a holy terror on that bike hitting 140+ at high speed venues like Daytona. The tires on that motorcycle were 110/70-18 front and 140/60-18 rear. The CB1100 tires are 110/80-18 front and 140/70-18 rear, same size tires and rims as that Superbike with one size taller sidewalls.

Even at 80 MPH the air blast on the naked CB11 is pretty ferocious. It's gotta be even more fun at 110+. I think the CB11 tires are fine for high speeds if you use the Rollie Free riding technique he demonstrates below at 150 MPH on the Bonneville Salt Flats. With apologies to Thumper, "ATTGAT MY ASS" appears to be his motto as he sets a new land speed record for motorcycles on a Vincent. And if you do this and you're built like Guth, you're guaranteed to get unlimited squeals of delight from minivans full of high school cheerleaders!! Yeah baby!!!!!



Chip

In 1986 Suzuki built a couple hundred GSX-R750 Limited Edition motorcycles for homologation purposes so they could race them in the Superbike Series here in America. They had dry clutches, all kinds of trick bits, and everything was super light weight. Kevin Schwantz was a holy terror on that bike hitting 140+ at high speed venues like Daytona. The tires on that motorcycle were 110/70-18 front and 140/60-18 rear. The CB1100 tires are 110/80-18 front and 140/70-18 rear, same size tires and rims as that Superbike with one size taller sidewalls.

Even at 80 MPH the air blast on the naked CB11 is pretty ferocious. It's gotta be even more fun at 110+. I think the CB11 tires are fine for high speeds if you use the Rollie Free riding technique he demonstrates below at 150 MPH on the Bonneville Salt Flats. With apologies to Thumper, "ATTGAT MY ASS" appears to be his motto as he sets a new land speed record for motorcycles on a Vincent. And if you do this and you're built like Guth, you're guaranteed to get unlimited squeals of delight from minivans full of high school cheerleaders!! Yeah baby!!!!!

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Rollie_Free_record_run.jpg.html]

Chip Rolly must have already made his contribution to the gene pool! LOL!
 
Thread starter
If ever a name fit a character, Rollie Free would have to be in the all time top 5.

Looks like Rollie was sporting the same "six pack flabs" back then that I do today. Thank goodness for protective gear (protective for the eyes of others that is).
 
Rolls_imp said:
<Insert origins of planking joke here>
In1965 I had to do thisvto reach indicated 65 mph!
back in 1966 on my 305 Superhawk wevjust called it laying down on the seat!
 
That's an interesting point.
It may be that Honda was just lazy and left in the domestic limiter so as to have one less production variation, but compared to my Blackbird or the Speed Triple that I sold to get the CB1100, I don't feel as confident about taking the CB1100 up much past 100. Maybe it's the skinny tires, maybe it's the twin shocks but it just doesn't inspire the feeling solid stability at speed. That's kind of surprising as the steering geometry of the Speed Triple is not as conservative so it's got to be the frame, tires or suspension that's making the difference.
I'm all good with it, I obviously didn't get this bike for it's top speed :-)
Hi, Furious....somewhere in this forum I posted a rant about the governed speed of the CB100, based on the then latest edition of Motorcycle Consumer News write up of their test of the CB. MCN claimed Honda, when questioned about the speed limiter, said it was becaue of their (Honda's) concern regarding 18" wheels/tires, no fairing, and lack of liquid cooling. To which I would reply, similar to Chip Beck's
analogy to the Suzuki, that I had a Suzuki 1100E vintage 83 with worse size tires, no fairing, also air cooled, and went as fast as you dared to go. That motor, of course, became on of the standards used by drag and track racers for years. But I digress......I, too, don't feel as confident on the CB at high speed......and not because of my now advanced age..........it just doesn't inspire confidence. Don't get me wrong, I love running the canyons with the CB.......it is bitchin.......but not my choice for straight-out top end work.
Just sayin....
Mike
I have only tested the limiter on mine on three occasions; it reliably kicks in at 112 mph every time. I also first thought about by-passing it or removing it. While I find the frame and suspension to be predictable and stable at that speed I am less inclined to change it now opting instead to fine tune the handling a bit and just personalize it. Maybe it is age but I don't really care that the top end is restricted. I'm not going there any way. The CB has been too enjoyable as it it to bother changing it.
I'll just find another Road Star 1600/1700 and build another locomotive.
 
It sounds like MCN is making stuff up, I can't imagine an official from Honda saying that.

I think the much more likely explanation is that the limiter was already in place for the Japanese market, there was no real need to incur the cost and hassle of removing it, and removing it could potentially open up Honda to off-the-wall liability lawsuits. "My client was killed riding 135 mph, Honda's removal of the limiter tacitly encouraged owners to ride at that speed."
 
+1 on yoyodyne's opinion.
 
Back
Top