Foot Peg Feelers

Bokobob_imp said:
Mine got tangled up in my shoe laces, so I bought shoes with Velcro fasteners..However, sometimes my pant cuffs get caught on them so I plan to remove them..
Shoelaces + motorcycle = bad news. That's why you'll rarely see motorcycle-specific shoe wear with laces and those that do usually have a way of securing them to the boot.
Rboe_imp said:
My toes seems to touch before anything else. Accelerating around a corner this am the toe touched down as I was trying to get under the shifter to shift. That was a bit of a surprise! Didn't think I was pushing that much!
Now you know why many people switch to race shift.
 
Rboe_imp said:
My toes seems to touch before anything else. Accelerating around a corner this am the toe touched down as I was trying to get under the shifter to shift. That was a bit of a surprise! Didn't think I was pushing that much!
I just did the same thing, for the first time, last Friday. Now I'm aware!
 
Good thread and a reminder many CB1100 owners are just getting into the sport, good questions from many of you. Many answers already but what footpeg feelers are for is basic Motorcycling 101. Honda have figured out what the safety margin is for lean angle under normal conditions so the feelers are pretty long. There is an SAE lean angle rating given for any bike sold in the USA but that is not going to reflect a lot of conditions that come up.

For example on a rough road, with a heavy rider, soft suspension, or with passenger, bike loses a lot of cornering clearance. Not too hard as one post showed in the image to grind off the pegs with a little spirited riding.

Also a few have talked about dragging toes, that is mostly about riding "duck-foot" style, bad news, one can catch a toe under the peg, buddy of mine broke his foot like that.

No shoelaces, please, keep feet "balls up" on the peg, better leave those peg feelers on until riding experience and control at lean increases.

As with Mr. Beck (thank you sir for your bar mod, it is superb) I too removed stock peg feelers and replace with much shorter "stubbies" I had removed and saved from another bike.

I also removed the centerstand to further increase cornering clearance.
 
68b507ee593e5a57888cd6a59693b9f8.jpg


My feelers are still virgins. Can I say that here?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Good thread and a reminder many CB1100 owners are just getting into the sport, good questions from many of you. Many answers already but what footpeg feelers are for is basic Motorcycling 101. Honda have figured out what the safety margin is for lean angle under normal conditions so the feelers are pretty long. There is an SAE lean angle rating given for any bike sold in the USA but that is not going to reflect a lot of conditions that come up.

For example on a rough road, with a heavy rider, soft suspension, or with passenger, bike loses a lot of cornering clearance. Not too hard as one post showed in the image to grind off the pegs with a little spirited riding.

Also a few have talked about dragging toes, that is mostly about riding "duck-foot" style, bad news, one can catch a toe under the peg, buddy of mine broke his foot like that.

No shoelaces, please, keep feet "balls up" on the peg, better leave those peg feelers on until riding experience and control at lean increases.

As with Mr. Beck (thank you sir for your bar mod, it is superb) I too removed stock peg feelers and replace with much shorter "stubbies" I had removed and saved from another bike.

I also removed the centerstand to further increase cornering clearance.
Excellent advice. Thank you!
 
Pauley_imp said:
68b507ee593e5a57888cd6a59693b9f8.jpg


My feelers are still virgins. Can I say that here?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I wear lace up boots ... Can I stay here?
Yes

signed,

Your slow riding, bad lines, duck footed moderator
 
Is this sufficiently deniable?

 
lol Cormanus. From what I can tell, Pterry, I'm not fast enough to ride any closer than a deniable distance to you. However, I'd like to point out that proper lace security make my boots every bit as safe as those belonging to any of the "always wear this, never do that" posters herein.
 
Those laces will kill 'ya!! That's why I've switched to much safer flip-flops. :D

5e89b535d9197f4058ce5fd31a7e366a.jpg
 
They're beautiful, Flyn! I want some, but I'll be leaving my peg feelers on. Wouldn't want to scape those.
 
Yesterday I went for a ride and for my surprise both curve feelers made contact with the ground. I wouldn't say I was pushing so hard... Anyway, as the bike is quite new (1800 Km, 3 weeks) the tyres had a virgin area on the edges. After the contact of the feeler with the ground I stopped for a coffee and took a look to the tyres: they had been running on their very edge, that virgin area dissapeared, then my question is, if I remove the feelers or I shorten them, will there be enough tyre to lean the bike even more?
 
between the lawyers, and the honda engineers, they are there for a reason. At the right speed, you can find out, at the scene of the single vehicle accident. Just saying.
 
There might be more room without them. Part of their existence is to be the part that drags before important parts drag. I don't know what would touch down first if you took them off -- I'm thinking maybe the center stand pad or the header/cat.
 
vegasdriver_imp said:
between the lawyers, and the honda engineers, they are there for a reason. At the right speed, you can find out, at the scene of the single vehicle accident. Just saying.
LOL LOL LOL, good one!:clap:

Keep saying...:thumbsup:
Speed_imp said:
Yesterday I went for a ride and for my surprise both curve feelers made contact with the ground. I wouldn't say I was pushing so hard... Anyway, as the bike is quite new (1800 Km, 3 weeks) the tyres had a virgin area on the edges. After the contact of the feeler with the ground I stopped for a coffee and took a look to the tyres: they had been running on their very edge, that virgin area dissapeared, then my question is, if I remove the feelers or I shorten them, will there be enough tyre to lean the bike even more?
I once low-sided because I was running a 110/70 front on a 3" rim. This was K591 Dunlop, and in those days there weren't many choices. The Metzeler Comp K in the same size had a lot more sidewall but I figured it was OK. I figured wrong. Fortunately no real damage or injuries.

The tire does squish out a bit, but the 140/70 rear does not have enough rubber to allow the bike to reach the lean that stock feelers would suggest with any kind of margin I'd like to have.

I run a 150/65 Conti Road Attack 2 CR, production race tire, the bike scrapes and there is still about 3/8" of rubber left, so there is plenty of grip and leeway there.

Stock front tire gives you enough rubber on the sidewall.
 
Speed_imp said:
Yesterday I went for a ride and for my surprise both curve feelers made contact with the ground. I wouldn't say I was pushing so hard... Anyway, as the bike is quite new (1800 Km, 3 weeks) the tyres had a virgin area on the edges. After the contact of the feeler with the ground I stopped for a coffee and took a look to the tyres: they had been running on their very edge, that virgin area dissapeared, then my question is, if I remove the feelers or I shorten them, will there be enough tyre to lean the bike even more?
Depends on the tyres you are running. That kind of ties in with this thread. I have finally spent some time on the edges of my 160 Angel GTs. The chicken strips have, effectively, gone. All the tread is in use.



But I am now on my second set of cap bolts. I might order a set of the shorter bolts that Django uses.



I believe that the 160 rears really suit this bike.

Cheers
[/QUOTE]
 
Back
Top