Fly Ignitor Pro Heated Gloves

Thread starter
Stichill_imp said:
Great report! Have to admit it surprised me. I was worried they wouldn't provide enough warmth but they seem to be more than powerful enough to get the job done and then some.
Thanks Stichill.

Please beware this is from my perspective who may be more tolerant of cold than the next rider. For example: I still wear just a t-shirt under my Triumph unheated gear. I have been riding my whole life without electrically heated gear, but the fingers just can't comfortably or maybe safely tolerate it anymore. Luckily for me it is just the fingers. I will continue to test and report out as I discover new realizations.

The best take-away so far is I currently have margin (e.g. the room to use HIGH HEAT) so I can ride for longer periods of time in even colder exposures.
 
G.O. .. do the thumbs heat up, along with the fingers ? .. my first pair of heated gloves (tour masters) didn't have heated thumbs.. my gerbings do.. if you ever decide to get a heated vest or liner, make sure it has a high, heated collar.. ( think scuba when it comes to the extra work putting on your heated gear) now that scuba gear is a chore, making a heated vest and gloves child's play ..

chuckk ..
 
Thread starter
Hey Chuckk:

Yes, the thumb is a part of the glove warming circuit and it heats up. I have looked at heated vests/liners over the years and I am not quite ready for them - yet. I wear just a t-shirt under my incredible Triumph riding jacket and I stay warm. If I need more insulation, I add, um, a long sleeved shirt - but I could run the risk of sweating. :dodgy:

I never considered a heated collar. Good to know they exist.
 
you northerners are just plain tough !! .. I watch "life below zero" so I know all about you guys.. hey !! how about a CB 1100 Iditarod race !! ..

chuckk ..
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Great report! Have to admit it surprised me. I was worried they wouldn't provide enough warmth but they seem to be more than powerful enough to get the job done and then some.
Thanks Stichill.

Please beware this is from my perspective who may be more tolerant of cold than the next rider. For example: I still wear just a t-shirt under my Triumph unheated gear. I have been riding my whole life without electrically heated gear, but the fingers just can't comfortably or maybe safely tolerate it anymore. Luckily for me it is just the fingers. I will continue to test and report out as I discover new realizations.

The best take-away so far is I currently have margin (e.g. the room to use HIGH HEAT) so I can ride for longer periods of time in even colder exposures.
Lol, I like to be toasty so thanks for the caveat. Whenever I'm in my office and someone shows up whose hand needs shaking, my hand is always way colder than theirs. If it's 70° F in the office, my hands feel cold. I even have fingerless knit gloves that I wear to try to retain some heat. So when I'm riding in cold weather, I feel like if I'm going to the hassle of suiting up in electrics...I want the heat to be palpable.
 
I hate being cold. I will plug in my electrics almost anytime it gets below 50 degrees.
 
Thread starter
Update:

A solid morning of continuous freeway exposure. Here are my results:

Conditions:

* 4C (~39F)
* Relative Humidity: ~90%
* Freeway
* Prevailing Wind: Low
* Duration: 1 hour

Used the LOW HEAT glove setting for the entire journey. This was quite satisfying and felt no reason to go higher.

I really like the bright LED status indicator during the daytime. It reminds me to turn off the gloves when I dismount.

I will not be going back to my old gloves for cold weather riding.
 
A great report and vindication of the use of these gloves on a 'bike.

I need more than just gloves to keep me warm, so gloves plugged into sleeves will still be my choice. But nice to know there are cable-free alternatives out there, for maybe watching winter motorsport, etc.

Thanks. :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Bheezy27403_imp said:
G.O., there is a CON....price.
It is not so bad. The sum of the parts is equal to the price of the gloves - on sale!

The profile, waterproof and quality of the long gloves +
A pair of 2200 mAh Lithium Polymer batteries including receptors +
The stainless steel heater circuits +
Charger

In addition, I can easily use them for non-riding applications (e.g. snow shoveling, long winter outdoor activities, etc.).

Maybe Stichill can use them for shaking people's hands. :D
 
I discovered the benefit of heated gloves in December 2019.

I tried on a few pairs including the most expensive offerings from Racer and Gerbing but in the end I settled on these RST Paragon Heated gloves as they were the most comfy straight out of the box, well priced and well made enough to justify their great price:

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/411178

My commute to work is only 15 miles/-25 mins so these gloves more than cover my needs without needing any heated grips.
 
Thread starter
The gloves look great Buzz.

I continue to use the Fly Pro gloves routinely and still they are performing to expectation. My longest use was about 2 x 1 hour stretches at medium power and no signs of the gloves giving up. They appear to be waterproof based on some rain riding, but they haven't been tested riding in a continuous deluge.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
The gloves look great Buzz.

I continue to use the Fly Pro gloves routinely and still they are performing to expectation. My longest use was about 2 x 1 hour stretches at medium power and no signs of the gloves giving up. They appear to be waterproof based on some rain riding, but they haven't been tested riding in a continuous deluge.
Q for GO: I have always felt that winter gloves are way to thick and stiff to provide proper touch and control of switches, clutch and brake. This made me stop riding in winter. Is this the case with your self-heating-gloves too ?
 
Thread starter
j3gq_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
The gloves look great Buzz.

I continue to use the Fly Pro gloves routinely and still they are performing to expectation. My longest use was about 2 x 1 hour stretches at medium power and no signs of the gloves giving up. They appear to be waterproof based on some rain riding, but they haven't been tested riding in a continuous deluge.
Q for GO: I have always felt that winter gloves are way to thick and stiff to provide proper touch and control of switches, clutch and brake. This made me stop riding in winter. Is this the case with your self-heating-gloves too ?
Q for GO: I have always felt that winter gloves are way to thick and stiff to provide proper touch and control of switches, clutch and brake. This made me stop riding in winter. Is this the case with your self-heating-gloves too ?
I reckon that varies from rider-to-rider.

In terms of Honda mid-size bikes (e.g. the CB1100), I did not have any issues. However, I will say I do have a difficult time controlling my Cardo Freedom 2+ pushbuttons on the side of the helmet. I do not have this problem with lighter warm weather riding gloves. This is not a profound statement, but it is still something I observed.

Generally for me, I found all lever controls on the CB1100 using cold weather riding gloves better for me, until it gets too warm than it is a hassle. But again, every rider has their preference.
 
I looked at your pictures again. The connectors look like old fashioned audio jacks and plugs. And (hoping the manufacturer follows this thread) I would really like to see version 2 came out, with a standard micro-USB connector, and compatible with any more recent phone charger (2A).

I could stop at the local bar, have a coffee, flirt with the girl behind the bar ... and her charger (which she doesn't need right now) charges my glove batteries, and never worry about carrying another charger.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Fly Ignitor Pro Heated Gloves

This is my first heated gear. Typically when riding in sub-freezing temperatures I layer up the hands and insert "Hotties" pads into passive cold-weather leather riding gloves. This works to a point, but has a side-effect of too much bulk in the glove and limits flexibility. It also becomes ineffective at -20C plus freeway windchill since I do not use hand deflectors, nor large windscreens.

I have found hand deflectors at -20C + 110 km/h + heated hand grips (which I do not use either) ineffective after 15 to 20 minutes of exposure. In my case, the fingertips suffer first.

So here I am: Cable-less heated gloves (7.4V battery source).


Initial Review:

Source: https://fortnine.ca/en/fly-ignitor-pro-heated-gloves

PROS:
[ul] [li]The assembly and product fit and finish is excellent, ... better than I expected. The palm is leather and the top nice textile. My size (XL) fits as good and slightly more comfortable than my similar designed non-heater cold-weather riding gloves.[/li] [li]With heat off the gloves are about as good as my non-heated Five branded gloves.[/li] [li]Heat on Low: Within a minute I feel heat on top of my hand and around my fingers. For me, it is quite noticeable and I can see myself using this setting often. Its performance and comfort already exceeds my old passive layering ritual.[/li] [li]Heat on Medium: For me, the heat is on! This is very exciting. I cannot wait to test this on-the-road.[/li] [li]Heat on High: For me, this is quite hot. I can't see myself using this setting too often, however, I am glad it is available. Maybe I will need it and just don't know it yet.[/li] [li]When wearing the gloves, I do not notice the battery packs.
[/li][/ul]
CONS:

At this point, none. The gloves came with a decent storage bag, but I felt it really was not necessary.

Maybe the glove's red LED indicators are bright at night and could be distracting, however, maybe they will also improve visibility to others? Dunno.

- - -

So this is my initial assessment without riding. Electrical durability will also be observed, however, the expectation is it won't fail anytime soon. The heater elements are stainless steel and thus, resistant to flexing wear and tear.

Just ordered ^^this set^^, GO recommended
....it better be good or AT will not run....:P:D
 
Whoops_imp said:
Holy s**t sticks batman! $255! Ouch.
Whatd'ya mean C$255??....that's only U$200....and C$120 was paid for by my apprentices gift certificate leftover..and by the moto stuff I sold through our forum, so I did not spent a penny... :excited:
 
Back
Top