Fly Ignitor Pro Heated Gloves

GoldOxide_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Fly Ignitor Pro Heated Gloves

This is my first heated gear. Typically when riding in sub-freezing temperatures I layer up the hands and insert "Hotties" pads into passive cold-weather leather riding gloves. This works to a point, but has a side-effect of too much bulk in the glove and limits flexibility. It also becomes ineffective at -20C plus freeway windchill since I do not use hand deflectors, nor large windscreens.

I have found hand deflectors at -20C + 110 km/h + heated hand grips (which I do not use either) ineffective after 15 to 20 minutes of exposure. In my case, the fingertips suffer first.

So here I am: Cable-less heated gloves (7.4V battery source).


Initial Review:

Source: https://fortnine.ca/en/fly-ignitor-pro-heated-gloves

PROS:
[ul] [li]The assembly and product fit and finish is excellent, ... better than I expected. The palm is leather and the top nice textile. My size (XL) fits as good and slightly more comfortable than my similar designed non-heater cold-weather riding gloves.[/li] [li]With heat off the gloves are about as good as my non-heated Five branded gloves.[/li] [li]Heat on Low: Within a minute I feel heat on top of my hand and around my fingers. For me, it is quite noticeable and I can see myself using this setting often. Its performance and comfort already exceeds my old passive layering ritual.[/li] [li]Heat on Medium: For me, the heat is on! This is very exciting. I cannot wait to test this on-the-road.[/li] [li]Heat on High: For me, this is quite hot. I can't see myself using this setting too often, however, I am glad it is available. Maybe I will need it and just don't know it yet.[/li] [li]When wearing the gloves, I do not notice the battery packs.
[/li][/ul]
CONS:

At this point, none. The gloves came with a decent storage bag, but I felt it really was not necessary.

Maybe the glove's red LED indicators are bright at night and could be distracting, however, maybe they will also improve visibility to others? Dunno.

- - -

So this is my initial assessment without riding. Electrical durability will also be observed, however, the expectation is it won't fail anytime soon. The heater elements are stainless steel and thus, resistant to flexing wear and tear.



 
Very nice. I think you will love riding with them. I usually double down with heated grips + heated gloves. Unheated grips still draw a lot of heat from your hands, even if you are wearing electrics.
 
Thread starter
Stichill_imp said:
Very nice. I think you will love riding with them. I usually double down with heated grips + heated gloves. Unheated grips still draw a lot of heat from your hands, even if you are wearing electrics.
I am hoping the Grip Puppies might mitigate such circumstances. I usually don't have palm problems, but likely contributes to other hand circulation issues.
 
I bought a pair of Joe Rocket gloves that look remarkably similar to these. Even the packaging is the same. They never got hot enough for me and I tried two different pairs. However, I do not have a windscreen or heated grips. I hope yours work better than mine did. Looking forward to the report.
 
Thread starter
Will do MTC. I suppose people will have varying tolerance to heat/cold and maybe my experience will be exceptional. We'll see!
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Fly Ignitor Pro Heated Gloves

This is my first heated gear. Typically when riding in sub-freezing temperatures I layer up the hands and insert "Hotties" pads into passive cold-weather leather riding gloves. This works to a point, but has a side-effect of too much bulk in the glove and limits flexibility. It also becomes ineffective at -20C plus freeway windchill since I do not use hand deflectors, nor large windscreens.

I have found hand deflectors at -20C + 110 km/h + heated hand grips (which I do not use either) ineffective after 15 to 20 minutes of exposure. In my case, the fingertips suffer first.

So here I am: Cable-less heated gloves (7.4V battery source).


Initial Review:

Source: https://fortnine.ca/en/fly-ignitor-pro-heated-gloves

PROS:
[ul] [li]The assembly and product fit and finish is excellent, ... better than I expected. The palm is leather and the top nice textile. My size (XL) fits as good and slightly more comfortable than my similar designed non-heater cold-weather riding gloves.[/li] [li]With heat off the gloves are about as good as my non-heated Five branded gloves.[/li] [li]Heat on Low: Within a minute I feel heat on top of my hand and around my fingers. For me, it is quite noticeable and I can see myself using this setting often. Its performance and comfort already exceeds my old passive layering ritual.[/li] [li]Heat on Medium: For me, the heat is on! This is very exciting. I cannot wait to test this on-the-road.[/li] [li]Heat on High: For me, this is quite hot. I can't see myself using this setting too often, however, I am glad it is available. Maybe I will need it and just don't know it yet.[/li] [li]When wearing the gloves, I do not notice the battery packs.
[/li][/ul]
CONS:

At this point, none. The gloves came with a decent storage bag, but I felt it really was not necessary.

Maybe the glove's red LED indicators are bright at night and could be distracting, however, maybe they will also improve visibility to others? Dunno.

- - -

So this is my initial assessment without riding. Electrical durability will also be observed, however, the expectation is it won't fail anytime soon. The heater elements are stainless steel and thus, resistant to flexing wear and tear.
how did I get in the middle of your text ..
 
Thread starter
Update:

This morning I went on a robust ride that I knew my digits would complain. Here are my results:

Conditions:

* 1C (~34F)
* Relative Humidity: ~80%
* 90% freeway (low traffic)
* 10% local roads
* Duration: 1 hour

Initially I road with NO HEAT. As expected, the Fly Ignitor Pros performed about the same as my recent Five-branded gloves. They are the same in style and profile. After 10 minutes I could start to feel the change of temperature in the glove, but nothing unusual and not uncomfortable. Again, this was expected.

On the freeway things started to change. I turned on LOW HEAT and within 60 seconds and could feel the heat difference. This was definitely noticeable, but I could feel the mix of luke warm heat and freeway windchill. This was OK for me, but probably not sustainable over a long period.

Enter MEDIUM HEAT. This was comfortable for me. I rode mostly in this setting while on the freeway. My hand and fingers performed well over all controls as one could hope for in any warm weather situations. I basically forgot I was wearing the gloves.

Next: HIGH HEAT. At first I thought, neat - wow. But for me, after a few minutes this was more than enough, especially given my hands started to perspire. So I settled back to MEDIUM HEAT and remained there for the rest of the freeway excursion. By the way: I had no problem adjusting the heat setting while active in the saddle. For me, the pushbuttons were easy to use.

When I returned to local roads I rolled back to LOW HEAT. This seemed to feel natural, maybe even NO HEAT would have worked.

Glove fit was not an issue and I did not feel the batteries once the gloves were being worn.

Summary:

So far for me, the Fly Ignitor Pros are a score. They are now my go to cold weather riding glove. I think a year from now will be more telling of the overall performance of the glove, but for now it seems the product behaves as advertised.

Also importantly, and as usual, the CB lump/gearbox performed gloriously at low temperature. I think the CB1100 likes cold weather riding ... at least it seems that way with every ride.
 
nice report GO.. yes, I believe life is too short to sacrifice when one does not have to.. I wonder how long the batteries will last you, with your personal demand for heat.. I think I am turning into a sissy.. I find myself wanting more and more heat when riding.. I can't take the chilly weather.. it makes my muscles tighten up and I find myself longing to be back where it is warm..it wasn't an issue when I lived back in the cold (Wisconsin) but now that I have lived in California for so many years, the cold effects me.. age might enter into it also ..
chuckk ..
 
Chuckk_imp said:
nice report GO.. yes, I believe life is too short to sacrifice when one does not have to.. I wonder how long the batteries will last you, with your personal demand for heat.. I think I am turning into a sissy.. I find myself wanting more and more heat when riding.. I can't take the chilly weather.. it makes my muscles tighten up and I find myself longing to be back where it is warm..it wasn't an issue when I lived back in the cold (Wisconsin) but now that I have lived in California for so many years, the cold effects me.. age might enter into it also ..
chuckk ..
Chuckk , I feel the same as you do ; lived in Upstate New York for 22 years but after moving to NC (AND getting older !) I feel the cold more .
Long Live my Gerber heated jacket liner.
 
boy, isn't that the truth !! .. my gerbing heated vest and gloves allow me to enjoy my rides a lot more .. it's kinda like driving in a car and finding yourself getting chilly.. you just reach over and turn the heater on !! .. how cool !! .. (pardon the expression) ..
chuckk ..
I tried the gerbing heated socks twice.. I had problems with them.. I think the fabric is just too thin.. I was checking out my first pair to find the problem when I actually saw a spark in the sock, down at the bottom where my toes would be.. (I wasn't wearing them).. I was actually able to video the problem.. that got me another pair for free.. but they didn't last too long either .. I used to console myself when having to put on all of the heated gear by comparing it to when I used to scuba.. then the heated gear installation became much easier to tolerate..
chuckk ..
 
Thread starter
Thanks Chuckk, Rocky.

My expectation is to get one hour less out of the batteries than advertised, as the batteries get some mileage. Hopefully I am too conservative on that. In any case, I am okay with that for now. The medium setting is said to get about three (3) hours of use, so I will expect two (2) and that works well for me. Down the road I will get a second pair of batteries (I just don't know which road yet).
 
Great report! Have to admit it surprised me. I was worried they wouldn't provide enough warmth but they seem to be more than powerful enough to get the job done and then some.
 
Back
Top