Flat tire repair

max

Road warrior
Thread starter
Tried to take out the cb919 standby bike out for a quick spin but found it hard to move in the garage.
Turned out the rear tire was flat, funny because it was brand new, but anyway i had picked up a nail and that had caused a puncture.
Not a bad time to find out about this and i wanted to try the " stop and go " mushroom repair kit, i got it after three tries and it still looks fine today.
Despite the fact that i had played with it before it still took three plugs ( not inside the tire, they just would not go in ) but got it in the end.
Moral of the story; test fixing tires at home on an old tire before going for a ride with the kit, knowing how to get good results.
 
I use the Stop and Go repair kit , when I bought it I drilled a hole into a tire I had to replace anyway and used the mushroom plug in the comfort of my garage. Had to use two to get it right and now I also carry a small pair of pliers on my bike to pull the plug to FULLY set it onto the tire. I used it only once so far on a CBX Rally in GA to help another rider . Have some CO2 cylinders with me and a small air compressor as well .
 
Thread starter
And for the infinitely curious;



and and; ( nicked from Alprider )



Best guess it's been a nail in a past life but the battering shows a long life on the road before it hitched a ride jumping from the front right into my new rear tire, very accomplished this one:(
 
I carry a tire plug kit and a Ryobi inflator with me in my top box whenever I am venturing out into the back country roads alone. Never know when you will need it.
 
I've tried several tire repair kits and the mushrooms are the worst. Royal PITA to install/use. Then Fortnine did a video on a bunch of them. Worms/strings won out. It flunked the push out test (to be fair, while they are easier to push out it would take some rather unique and raw circumstances for it to happen).

The one method I have not tried yet - one a method my buddy swears by. He uses sheet metal screws and forgets about it.
Which on one hand makes some sense, kinda. I've had several screws in my tires and they didn't leak unless they went in crooked. :D

But dang, I'm so tempted!

It's also important to test your air pump at home. I had this high end (so I thought - it was rated very good and was not cheap) pump but it was so dang slow. Same buddy had a Slime or Ryobi pump that put mine to shame. I bought it.

I also picked up HD rope type tire plug kit from Amazon (I've had a couple very nasty holes punched into my tires). The advantage I see with them: you can stuff in a lot if you need to (and I've had to). Mushrooms; if you're a fan, are pretty much a one size fits all - and they don't. You can't double them up.

I also added several of those little rubber cement tubes to help with sealing. They seem to be the bee's knee's sometimes. And because I'm such a worry wart I carry slime too. :D
 
Thread starter
Rboe and Stichill you are both right, there are many ways to put the air back into the tire, i have some screws as well, very small and easy to get into the tire depending what size hole we are dealing with, very good point.
For this post i just wanted to mention the fact that the mushroom did work but after several attempts and the repair held the air in just fine.
Have also modified my png tool so i don't need to enlarge the leaking opening which i think is a good thing, just think it is a good thing to bring the subject up so we can exchange experiences from time to time and perhaps pick up a tip or so, by no means meant as advertising hence the mention of the several attempts.
Thanks for the appreciated responses, good value.
 
I absolutely NOT acceptable how he repairs flat by installing a mushroom type plug. :huh:
 
I've been using the "rope" method across five decades now and about ten single repairs. I don't trust any other convenience method when in a pinch. Not one of them failed and never had a balance issue at any speed. All of them lasted to the end of the tire life.

Of course, there were a few instances where I didn't bother with the "rope" method because the hole, or gash was too severe, however, none of the other methods would have worked either. Your mileage will vary.
 
Revzilla interviewed Ryan (Fortnine) not too long ago and if memory serves that channel is pretty much a one man show. He does have a camera man, but he does everything else. He does have a way with words; which he does for entertainment effect (which does go a long ways to helping one remember what he is teaching).

I'm loath to critique his physics; he got better grades than I did and looks like he remembered more of it than I do. I had two minors, not two majors - and he's a much better dirt rider than me. That said, there are somethings I do question and disagree with (and usually don't comment with those disagreements lest I prove I'm a bigger idiot than I suspect I am :D ).

For those interested; here's the Highside/Lowside interview on CommonTread, the Revzilla PR side. https://www.revzilla.com/videos/m/6xF4yJCP/talkin-bikes-w-fortnines-ryanf9-hsls-s3-e12?list=Lo3UxPQc
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
I've been using the "rope" method across five decades now and about ten single repairs. I don't trust any other convenience method when in a pinch. Not one of them failed and never had a balance issue at any speed. All of them lasted to the end of the tire life.

Of course, there were a few instances where I didn't bother with the "rope" method because the hole, or gash was too severe, however, none of the other methods would have worked either. Your mileage will vary.
Same here.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
I've been using the "rope" method across five decades now and about ten single repairs. I don't trust any other convenience method when in a pinch. Not one of them failed and never had a balance issue at any speed. All of them lasted to the end of the tire life.

Of course, there were a few instances where I didn't bother with the "rope" method because the hole, or gash was too severe, however, none of the other methods would have worked either. Your mileage will vary.
Best method by far and permanent if done correctly. Cheap too and every auto parts and hardware store has them.
 
redbirds_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I've been using the "rope" method across five decades now and about ten single repairs. I don't trust any other convenience method when in a pinch. Not one of them failed and never had a balance issue at any speed. All of them lasted to the end of the tire life.

Of course, there were a few instances where I didn't bother with the "rope" method because the hole, or gash was too severe, however, none of the other methods would have worked either. Your mileage will vary.
Best method by far and permanent if done correctly. Cheap too and every auto parts and hardware store has them.
Best method by far and permanent if done correctly. Cheap too and every auto parts and hardware store has them.
Roger on that redbirds. My successful experience doesn't include forgotten repairs on automobile radial tires.
 
Back
Top