Flat Repair Kit's

use2b_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
any experience or suggestions ? now that i know i will be traveling some i want some way to fix a flat on the road.
 
I made my own inflator that I have carried for years. Took a small Hausfeld Campbell unit, removed the plastic shell, and wired it up with aligator clips.

However the new inflators are getting really small so I am thinking about getting a new unit.

Pumps / Inflators - RevZilla

I think Memphis Mike had a similar unit at the Kentucky rally

Reapers and some sticks plugs needed as well (you can pick those up at Walmart)

My old unit saved me several times.

I have never used or tried the CO2 models.
 
I'd suggest using a powered 12V inflator instead of CO2 cartridges. I pack a Dynaplug Mini Pro GT inflator, about $50, but there are several others on the market. Google is your friend. Murphy says as long as I carry it, I won't need it. He's been right so far!

Walmart or any auto parts store will carry the reamers, inserters, and string patches, usually in a kit. Try to get a reamer and inserter with a T handle. Replace unused string patches every few years, since they can dry out.
 
On my last flat, the hole was a large V shape. Took 5 ropes to fill it. Tried a plug - no go. CO2 let me know why the electric pump was not filling the tire (could not hear the hiss over the pump).

So I now have a LOT more ropes. Looking at converting a large CO2 or pre-charged air tank from the airgun world - need to noodle up a hose and maybe a regulator (up to 3000psi!) to get that to work. But I like having many different types of kit since the hole you get may not be the hole your current kit can handle.

Have Slime along too as sometimes you get just a whisker of a fine leak with plugs/ropes and Slime will cure that.

With the last flat a fellow came along and trailered me back to the motel as my wife got a flat on the truck coming to get me!!! Long day! Which segways into this bit of advise our vintage Honda rep gave me: He has his truck gassed up, trailer attached ready to with the keys in a secure spot. If he needs help he contacts someone, tells them how to get the keys and they're off. My wife had to tip the trailer down (Kendon) and hook up by her self. She did it, but it was her first time so there was some added drama we didn't need. I thought that was brilliant. But you need a trailer and tow vehicle.
Oh, also found out, if you have AAA, get the Plus coverage that covers RV's. They will also come get your bike. And you.
 
use2b_imp said:
any experience or suggestions ? now that i know i will be traveling some i want some way to fix a flat on the road.
I have something very similar like the top pic, with cartridges.....never used it yet :D
If you break the bead, none of them may work
 
Houtman_imp said:
I also have used the STOP and GO mushroom plugs , worked great.
Me too. If memory serves me right the plugged tyre survived another ~7,000km before I changed it. Have also plugged two car tyres with the same plugs and they're still working fine after ~30,000km. The kit travels with me everywhere and fits nicely in the CB's under seat compartment. I did make a short 'tail' (30cm of electrical wire with a double pole female connector) from the battery and soldered the compatible male connector on the end of the air pump. Now it's an easy job to plug in the air pump and start inflating.
 
1 can of Seal-N-Air
1 ultra compact foot pump
1 plug kit
All under the seat
 
Like the sticky rope plugs, cheap and very effective. I carry the CO2 cartridges for initial fill on a flat and a compact hand pump to finish.
 
how many pounds of air do you get out of 1 co2 cartridge?
 
I have a 2017 EX with laced wheels and inner tubes. My flat repair kit consists of a card with the phone number for roadside assistance. :-/

I do have a Stop n Go mushroom plug kit for my other bikes and they work very well on tubeless tires. I, also, have used the kit more than once on SUV tires and it has worked, though using it on a steel-belted tire is more difficult than on a motorcycle tire.
 
how timely...went for a CB ride this morning. Came home for lunch, ate a sandwich, decided to go out for another ride, went out to the garage, and the CB had a flat rear tire. Nothing visible. Had to blow it up to find air hissing out. Small hole with nothing in it..About to go put a sticky rope in it. At least I found this flat in my garage with a full size air compressor to blow it back up lol.

Going to pick up a new mini (Dynaplug Mini) and flat kit and waffling between sticky ropes which I have used numerous times,"usually" with good luck, and the Stop and Go Mushrooms.
 
Thread starter
after all considerations I ordered the small pump Ferret posted.
at 7 oz It was also the smallest I could find and will fit easily with plugs and tools in the Valkyries onboard storage . thanks for the suggestion Ferret
 
I carry a tie plug kit (Stop n Go mushroom plugs) and a Slime inflator in my tail bag in case I get something in my tire on the road. The CO2 kits are such a pain - 4 cartridges won't get your tire up to spec pressure, but will probably get you to the next gas station.
 
Pauley_imp said:
I carry a tie plug kit (Stop n Go mushroom plugs) and a Slime inflator in my tail bag in case I get something in my tire on the road. The CO2 kits are such a pain - 4 cartridges won't get your tire up to spec pressure, but will probably get you to the next gas station.
I was looking at that Slime inflator Pauley. Will that not fit under the seat?

Here is the link Amazon.com: Slime 40001 Motorcycle Tire Inflator : Automotive
 
Thread starter
well that was fast -------- very nice , small , plastic feels thick and well made. best price on the Net so thanks again Ferret
 
Back
Top