Flasher Unit built to a price ?

17-CB-002

Been there
Thread starter
Just being curious & learning the in/out of my 2017 EX, I removed the front flasher lens and noticed that HONDA (Stanley) did not use a reflector to project the flasher light.
I did some experiment using a GU10 projector bulb reflector,however, the result was inconclusive (failed).
I then used a reflective silver ducting tape behind the bulb and around the inner housing surface.

You can be the judge on which side projects more light - Left or Right side when facing the bike?

I wil later post which flasher side I modified.
 
The thing with flashers is that you don't want to focus the light. This is so that it is visible to others from as wide an angle as possible.

If you use a reflector to focus the light on flashers, by definition you are making them less visible to the side. And this is more of an issue for the front flashers because they are of most use to oncoming drivers who will be off to the side of you.
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
Just being curious & learning the in/out of my 2017 EX, I removed the front flasher lens and noticed that HONDA (Stanley) did not use a reflector to project the flasher light.
I did some experiment using a GU10 projector bulb reflector,however, the result was inconclusive (failed).
I then used a reflective silver ducting tape behind the bulb and around the inner housing surface.

You can be the judge on which side projects more light - Left or Right side when facing the bike?

I wil later post which flasher side I modified.
Never too late to learn = thanks for sharing, will dig in mine soon
AL, can you post pic of your '79 CBX, please
:)
 
tommymck_imp said:
The thing with flashers is that you don't want to focus the light. This is so that it is visible to others from as wide an angle as possible.

If you use a reflector to focus the light on flashers, by definition you are making them less visible to the side. And this is more of an issue for the front flashers because they are of most use to oncoming drivers who will be off to the side of you.
Come to think of it Alain, I recall your observation. Interesting though. tommymck's logic makes sense in regards to the intent to warn others of turn intent. If you look at the signal lens cap, it extends out from the signal stock to help in light dispersion.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
tommymck_imp said:
The thing with flashers is that you don't want to focus the light. This is so that it is visible to others from as wide an angle as possible.

If you use a reflector to focus the light on flashers, by definition you are making them less visible to the side. And this is more of an issue for the front flashers because they are of most use to oncoming drivers who will be off to the side of you.
Come to think of it Alain, I recall your observation. Interesting though. tommymck's logic makes sense in regards to the intent to warn others of turn intent. If you look at the signal lens cap, it extends out from the signal stock to help in light dispersion.
Come to think of it Alain, I recall your observation. Interesting though. tommymck's logic makes sense in regards to the intent to warn others of turn intent. If you look at the signal lens cap, it extends out from the signal stock to help in light dispersion. Yes, your observation is correct.
The modification helps spread the light better to the side even though the lumens remains the same.
Yes, the modification is on the left side (when viewed sitting on the bike).
peterbaron_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
Just being curious & learning the in/out of my 2017 EX, I removed the front flasher lens and noticed that HONDA (Stanley) did not use a reflector to project the flasher light.
I did some experiment using a GU10 projector bulb reflector,however, the result was inconclusive (failed).
I then used a reflective silver ducting tape behind the bulb and around the inner housing surface.

You can be the judge on which side projects more light - Left or Right side when facing the bike?

I wil later post which flasher side I modified.
Never too late to learn = thanks for sharing, will dig in mine soon
AL, can you post pic of your '79 CBX, please
:)
Never too late to learn = thanks for sharing, will dig in mine soon
AL, can you post pic of your '79 CBX, please
:)
Sorry Peter, the 79 Red CBX is at the garage for engine repair.
I had a hydraulic lock on cylinder #1 last spring, the fuel tap had a slow leak during the winter storage and fill out the cylinder.:@
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
tommymck_imp said:
The thing with flashers is that you don't want to focus the light. This is so that it is visible to others from as wide an angle as possible.

If you use a reflector to focus the light on flashers, by definition you are making them less visible to the side. And this is more of an issue for the front flashers because they are of most use to oncoming drivers who will be off to the side of you.
Come to think of it Alain, I recall your observation. Interesting though. tommymck's logic makes sense in regards to the intent to warn others of turn intent. If you look at the signal lens cap, it extends out from the signal stock to help in light dispersion.
Come to think of it Alain, I recall your observation. Interesting though. tommymck's logic makes sense in regards to the intent to warn others of turn intent. If you look at the signal lens cap, it extends out from the signal stock to help in light dispersion. Yes, your observation is correct.
The modification helps spread the light better to the side even though the lumens remains the same.
Yes, the modification is on the left side (when viewed sitting on the bike).
peterbaron_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
Just being curious & learning the in/out of my 2017 EX, I removed the front flasher lens and noticed that HONDA (Stanley) did not use a reflector to project the flasher light.
I did some experiment using a GU10 projector bulb reflector,however, the result was inconclusive (failed).
I then used a reflective silver ducting tape behind the bulb and around the inner housing surface.

You can be the judge on which side projects more light - Left or Right side when facing the bike?

I wil later post which flasher side I modified.
Never too late to learn = thanks for sharing, will dig in mine soon
AL, can you post pic of your '79 CBX, please
:)
Never too late to learn = thanks for sharing, will dig in mine soon
AL, can you post pic of your '79 CBX, please
:)
Sorry Peter, the 79 Red CBX is at the garage for engine repair.
I had a hydraulic lock on cylinder #1 last spring, the fuel tap had a slow leak during the winter storage and fill out the cylinder.:@
Come to think of it Alain, I recall your observation. Interesting though. tommymck's logic makes sense in regards to the intent to warn others of turn intent. If you look at the signal lens cap, it extends out from the signal stock to help in light dispersion. Yes, your observation is correct.
The modification helps spread the light better to the side even though the lumens remains the same.
Yes, the modification is on the left side (when viewed sitting on the bike).
peterbaron_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
Just being curious & learning the in/out of my 2017 EX, I removed the front flasher lens and noticed that HONDA (Stanley) did not use a reflector to project the flasher light.
I did some experiment using a GU10 projector bulb reflector,however, the result was inconclusive (failed).
I then used a reflective silver ducting tape behind the bulb and around the inner housing surface.

You can be the judge on which side projects more light - Left or Right side when facing the bike?

I wil later post which flasher side I modified.
Never too late to learn = thanks for sharing, will dig in mine soon
AL, can you post pic of your '79 CBX, please
:)
Never too late to learn = thanks for sharing, will dig in mine soon
AL, can you post pic of your '79 CBX, please
:)
Sorry Peter, the 79 Red CBX is at the garage for engine repair.
I had a hydraulic lock on cylinder #1 last spring, the fuel tap had a slow leak during the winter storage and fill out the cylinder.:@
OK, it was common issue with it, I guess. Thanks for feedback and good luck with your repair :thumbsup:
 
The signal design light dispersion level likely met [then current international] specifications for safety and hence, Honda may had no reason to expend extra cost optimizing the routing/deflection of the light.
 
I think that what Alain is saying is that the inside of the back and sides of the housing is black or something. In that case, adding reflective material would increase the output forward. So long as the housing isn't a parabola with the bulb at the focus, it wouldn't focus either. Not sure how this would "spread" the light out though, and since it's going through a diffuser anyway, I wouldn't think it'd be necessary. In any case, if the goal is to increase the output of the signals, sounds good to me.
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Did your CBX bend a rod ?
Yes, the #1 Rod got bent.
Was running on 5 cylinder.
Before modification.
Yes, the #1 Rod got bent.
Was running on 5 cylinder.
Before modification.
Bent or broken?

I had a twin that ran only on one cylinder because the connecting rod of the other was broken. How does a crank shaft spin with a bent rod? :huh:
 
In 1980 Honda put a vacuum operated petcock on the CBX to prevent flooding of cylinder 1 , this made them a little more difficult to start as you had to create a vacuum first to get the gas flowing to the carbs. I bypassed this vacuum petcock and always put the bike on the center stand and it always started first time after this fix.
 
Houtman: Still fondly remember my CB750F2, couldn't start after about a week long break since the carbs dried dry (dunno how that happened though...) and starter could not create enough vacuum. Solution was to inject cold starter into the airbox, but I was on the verge of removing the petcock :)

A friend of mine immediately identified these turn signals the same as his VT600C (Shadow) had a few years ago...
 
A friend of me in Israel with a CBX always had problems starting his bike because of the heat of the engine and the outside temperature all the gas evaporated very quickly from the carbs. After telling him of my trick with bypassing the vacuum petcock he never had another problem starting after the bike sat for a while.
 
Houtman_imp said:
A friend of me in Israel with a CBX always had problems starting his bike because of the heat of the engine and the outside temperature all the gas evaporated very quickly from the carbs. After telling him of my trick with bypassing the vacuum petcock he never had another problem starting after the bike sat for a while.
Very interesting technical tidbit.
 
Back
Top