Flashed CB1100 Review

Most riders with traction control leave it in the off. I don't know of many riders that use the traction control. That's part of riding a motorcycle is being in control of the excitement between your legs! JMO. Buy a moped with traction control :) even at my age. (Soon to be 54 ) I like a burnout everynow. & then and maybe a little wheelie. :)
 
Ridem32_imp said:
Most riders with traction control leave it in the off. I don't know of many riders that use the traction control. That's part of riding a motorcycle is being in control of the excitement between your legs! JMO. Buy a moped with traction control :) even at my age. (Soon to be 54 ) I like a burnout everynow. & then and maybe a little wheelie. :)
You're absolutely right. I don't know what came over me, though I'm not quite ready to get sideways at 50 mph à la CIP57!
 
Rite on Greg. Back to rule #1 don't ever ride over your head. As always every one will always wait on their team at the next stop sign. :) it's not the speed we ride but it's how we all enjoy riding motorcycles what ever our style is :)
 
Meh. If I wanted a crotchrocket, I would have bought a different bike. Besides; I have the Griso for hooligan riding. But a removed limiter and a wee bit of snort would be OK.
 
I have many crotchrockets at my age can only ride about 30 min then sore sore sore. Lol I'm to old to bend over and ride. I love my CB1100 best bike I have ever owned by far. I'm buying another one next week vin # 59 deluxe. My bikes stay clean and I'm very picky with my bikes. But I want my bikes to run like the motor should run at all times and I don't think a 1100 motor should be restricted or limited wether I want to just putt around and enjoy a ride which is how I normally ride but if I want my 1100 to run like a 1100 should then I can by my choice I can let the ole girl go free with the wind. I'm not telling anyone to have their ECM flashed at all just telling everyone what the 1100 can do. Which to me is what this forum is all about ! Me & CIP wanted out ECM flashed and we did now we just sending out info to let everyone know how our bikes run & preform. Someone might add a turbo one day I don't want a turbo but I sure would like to know all about it and how it runs etc. Someone might want to mount a extra gas tank cell for the iron butt ride if so I want to know all about it. Everyone keep in mind each of our bikes we add, build redo stuff to make it our own ride. That's the great thing about riding bikes for over 40 years and before we could only tell our friends what we had done to them now we have this great forum to tell the world ! Wow I think it's neat to find out what other riders do to their bikes to make his bike his own. It don't mean I want to do to my bike what some do to theirs but I love hearing what they do and if their happy I'm happy for them :). Agin I say great forum, great bunch of guys! Let's keep this forum going strong for years to come , Guth. & ferret and others have worked hard to get this forum going and for a new forum just coming 2 years I think. I think they have done a very great job with this forum. :)
Michael
 
Thread starter
Bike #12_imp said:
Hope this isn't too dumb of a question... If I reflash my ECU does it void my Honda warranty?
Anything not Honda approved will void your warranty. Warranty is only 1 year but if your concerned you can buy a ECU for 500.00 and keep your original numbered ecu stock.
 
Motorcycles are the perfect medium for individualizing...and I for one encourage that.

I think once the second motorcycle was sold, one of the two guys that bought them wanted to change his to make it more personal than the other guys, and probably make his faster than the other guys too. That is how we as human beings are. We love buying perfectly well engineered products and then modify them to make them a little different than the other guys'. That's cool.

I think it's great that Cip and Ridem are seeing what this bike is capable of. I like what Ack and Silas, and CB4ME have also done. Do I have any intention of ever emulating what they have done? No, I like my bike as it came from the factory, which also means I wouldn't café it, or street fighter it, or turn it in to a full fledged tourer, chopper or bobber. I'm not going to make it faster, or louder or a different color or put on different fenders, or put on a different seat, add luggage racks, or different turn signals, or different handlebars, different exhaust, or remove the reflectors. I'm not going to put rear shocks on it, or fork springs or a fork brace or remove the air snorkel or a myriad of things other owners have done to this bike to make themselves happy. I have made a few minor changes to suit me... new grips, rlets, removed curb feelers, ummmm aluminum valve stem covers, but I have all the original stuff in a box in the garage and could put it back to bone stock in 10 minutes. I might change the left switch out but that would be a safety issue, because for me, right now, the left switch is a danger and could get me killed. I will continue to use genuine Honda oil filters and Honda GN4 10w30 oil and when it comes time I will replace the stock air cleaner and brake pads with oem parts. But that's just how I roll.

Love seeing other guys mods though, so keep changing them and keep posting the pics (or dyno results as the case may be)
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Motorcycles are the perfect medium for individualizing...and I for one encourage that.

I think once the second motorcycle was sold, one of the two guys that bought them wanted to change his to make it more personal than the other guys, and probably make his faster than the other guys too. That is how we as human beings are. We love buying perfectly well engineered products and then modify them to make them a little different than the other guys'. That's cool.

I think it's great that Cip and Ridem are seeing what this bike is capable of. I like what Ack and Silas, and CB4ME have also done. Do I have any intention of ever emulating what they have done? No, I like my bike as it came from the factory, which also means I wouldn't café it, or street fighter it, or turn it in to a full fledged tourer, chopper or bobber. I'm not going to make it faster, or louder or a different color or put on different fenders, or put on a different seat, add luggage racks, or different turn signals, or different handlebars, different exhaust, or remove the reflectors. I'm not going to put rear shocks on it, or fork springs or a fork brace or remove the air snorkel or a myriad of things other owners have done to this bike to make themselves happy. I have made a few minor changes to suit me... new grips, rlets, removed curb feelers, ummmm aluminum valve stem covers, but I have all the original stuff in a box in the garage and could put it back to bone stock in 10 minutes. I might change the left switch out but that would be a safety issue, because for me, right now, the left switch is a danger and could get me killed. I will continue to use genuine Honda oil filters and Honda GN4 10w30 oil and when it comes time I will replace the stock air cleaner and brake pads with oem parts. But that's just how I roll.

Love seeing other guys mods though, so keep changing them and keep posting the pics (or dyno results as the case may be)
Its funny you write this post, when i just responded above was thinking along these same lines. I have modified 3 of the bikes i ever owned. My ZRX1200 ( only because those guys are mod crazy on that site ) Put a slip on on my cbr1000RR and a set of progressive shocks on my GS1100 only because the damn original where rusting out. I'm not one to mod my bikes, i enjoy ridding them and keeping them stock. There is always some negative reaction when you start modifying for power. Surprisingly with the mods I've done this bike's FI just seems to correct and adapt to changes.

Edit: Forgot to get to the point, had this bike not had a limiter i would have kept it stock. I was just on a mission to get it done.
 
I don't think honda would even know if you had your ECM flashed just remove their sticker! No other way to see that it's been flashed!
Ferret don't for get about gaiters :)
 
Ridem32_imp said:
I don't think honda would even know if you had your ECM flashed just remove their sticker! No other way to see that it's been flashed!
Ferret don't for get about gaiters :)
Yes, there is. When the technician connects to the ECU he or she can instantly see what software/firmware has been uploaded, along with what changes have been made to specific parameters.

As I mentioned in another thread, ECU reflashing will not necessarily void your warranty; however, raising the rev limiter certainly might, if you blew an engine.

Otherwise, if you have an issue with your CB1100 and don't want the tech to see it's been reflashed, have Guhls flash it back to stock.

Don will do this for no charge. Just ship it back, they'll flash it to stock, and reinstall it. Once you are out of warranty this becomes irrelevant anyway.
 
Here at my dealer I don't think they would catch it. When I bought my bike I had to sit in parking lot waiting on 3 different tecs to to get my seat off. After about 30 min I had the owners manual in my hand lol
 
Ridem32_imp said:
Here at my dealer I don't think they would catch it. When I bought my bike I had to sit in parking lot waiting on 3 different tecs to to get my seat off. After about 30 min I had the owners manual in my hand lol
LOL, they would have to plug the ECU into the analysis computer to see, of course.

These days that's the first thing just about any dealer would do.

BMW plugs their bikes into the Internet, where a remote server in Germany runs a full diagnostic on the bike and updates the ECU program if it's changed. The technician doesn't need to do much except monitor the results.
 
If I would do this - and that's a big "if" - it'd be after the warranty. By then enough time has passed for the results to be very clear. There's always those "unintended consequences" that nobody sees coming. I am not an early adopter.

I would be curious, for example, on the effects on engine heat and durability, gas mileage and any other effects of this. I am sure that Don has reflashed thousands of bikes, but these are his first CB11s. By the time he's dyno tuned a few and dialed in air/fuel and so forth, I'll have some thinking to do.

Serious kudos go out to the brave ones - CIP and Ridem - who are trying this first!
 
DAC: with time I will let you know everything about my flash top speed , fuel mileage and all. CIP has the. 13 I have the 14 so between us both we should be able to help everyone out with how good or bad this flash really is. Agin I have to thank Guth and ferret for keeping this forum together and everyone's inputs on all kinds of info has help me lots! :)
 
35 years ago, the only thing on my mind was how to make my bike(s) faster, and I had a couple that were extremely fast (by the standards of the day). Compared to today, it was much more difficult back then to get any kind of major horsepower/torque gains, it was always a combination of several mods, rather than just a couple. This was before ECU's, limiters of any type, heck, fuel injection was not common until, I think, early 80s.

I remember when Kawasaki introduced their first bike with EFI, it was the KZ1000LTD, don't remember the year. The amazing thing about that bike, (to us), was that one could simply add a 4 into 1 exhaust and gain about a half a second in the quarter mile, no rejetting, no fuss, no muss, the EFI "computer" took care of all of that. We spent thousands of dollars converting stock 12 second bikes to screamin' 11 second bikes, :), and I loved every moment of it. I had a Kawasaki H-2 750, which was king of the hill until the Z-1, they were both mid-12 second bikes in the quarter mile. I sent my cylinders and cylinder heads to a company called Denco to be bored, ported, and polished, installed giant mikuni carburetors, expansion chambers, slicks, wheelie bars, (for the track), heavier clutch and springs, and a few more things I have forgotten about. I probably spent a couple of thousand easy, in those days that was a bundle, (the H-2 retailed for $1200 brand new). My radically tricked out bike was now about a second and a half quicker, (best run was 11.18 @ 121 mph).

Now, like Ferret, I have no intention of modding my CB1100, because I like it the way it is. (This flashing thing does have my attention though, :D), even if I were to flash it, I would not change anything else. I fully understand guys modding their bikes, I've been there, and I think it's really cool what a lot of them are doing, it is always interesting to see the results. Go for it guys, let us know how it works out.

Cheers
 
David I'm like you. I'm leaving my bike stock as far as pipes air filter blinkers seat etc. I worked for Nissan for 20 years and I know the restrictions of a motor. Which is worse to be restricted! I know that a ECM can work in milli seconds! A carb could never be adjusted to throttle position as good as EFI system. It just stands to reason that EFI is so much better in everyway than carb and points etc. But when the EPA says this bike or car has to meet this standard it kills what the motor can do. So all I did was have my ECM flashed to run like the motor should run with out restrictions! Faster better response not a matter of running 140 mph but just the pure reason is to let the bike run as it should! Same as a cell phone they have them so under powered with the antenna that you drop calls. Lots of over seas phones when they make it to the USA they keep full signal due to no fed regulations
 
Back
Top