Flashed CB1100 Review

CIP57_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
At last some conclusion to this whole debacle.

I have to say, if all this expense and drama nets us only around 10 mph, bearing in mind that was on the centre stand, no drag, now wind resistance, no tyre friction or heavy rider to carry.... Is this all placebo and did Honda just get it perfect to begin with?

I can count on no hands the number of times that extra 10mph OVER 112 mph will be essential, or even useful.

Just sayin' :beerchug:
Why I respond to this im not sure, it was I demonstration, could have buried the speedo since bike is limited to 186
Why I respond to this im not sure, it was I demonstration, could have buried the speedo since bike is limited to 186

It would have buried my 2014 Dlx speedo ;)
 
I'm leaving this thread alone, since arguing with the tuning fraternity is tantamount to shagging ones daughter it seems.

Bye, :hello:
 
Thanks CIP. Glad to hear the result is positive. And that this can be done successfully as the experts predicted.
 
CIP57 you have done many of us a great big favor by getting your ECU reflashed. Can you do us a second favor and repost the exact details of where you had it done and whether the ECM had to be drilled and any other pertinent details?
 
Thread starter
thessler3_imp said:
CIP57 you have done many of us a great big favor by getting your ECU reflashed. Can you do us a second favor and repost the exact details of where you had it done and whether the ECM had to be drilled and any other pertinent details?
Home - Guhl Motors
The contact is Don. The unit does not have to be opened or drilled.
HikerToo_imp said:
How is the exhaust sound, any gurgling or backfiring when you let up? ( I forget if your exhaust is stock or nor.... )
And the big question "Was it worth it, would you do it again, would you recommend to a friend?"
Hiker,

My bike is stock, the back pressure has not changed so no there is no ill effects regarding exhaust issues, in fact with less engine braking it might be minimized.

Was it worth it, indeed, let forget about the limiter, more low end torque, snappy throttle response with less throttle input and all for the cost of a set of side covers. Yes, i would recommend it to anyone regardless of how the ride. Who would not want a bike that responds better.
 
Would the reflash improve throttle response and other engine performance attributes of a CB1100 that already has 1) Staintue exhaust, 2) PowerCommander V, and 3) professional dyno tuning?
 
xpacpal1x_imp said:
Would the reflash improve throttle response and other engine performance attributes of a CB1100 that already has 1) Staintue exhaust, 2) PowerCommander V, and 3) professional dyno tuning?
Yes, just let Don know exactly what you've done to the bike. If you have PCV, he can do the reflash for the stock ECU and fueling adjustments are then made using the PCV, however, a dyno is needed to get those right.

The reflash will remove factory detuning (restrictions) in the first four gears, change the way the engine responds (much more lively whilst increasing power everywhere), and of course remove the top speed limitation. Engine braking can also be reduced, you can ask about that as it's adjustable.
 
CIP57 Wrote:
"Yes, i would recommend it to anyone regardless of how the ride. Who would not want a bike that responds better."


Tortuga


CIP57_imp said:
Installed the ECU put the key in, no FI codes (phew) started her up and idle was perfect still no FI codes:thumbsup:

Warmed the bike up and checked the limiter ( see pic ) limiter is gone, there will be a time and place to check it, today was not the day.

Realized gains:
Stock 0-60 4.2 0-100 8.9
Flashed 0-60 3.7 0-100 8.3
I figured on these gains with the timing retard gone.

Whats impressive is the throttle response at 1/4 and 1/2 opening in lower gears. You just have to touch the throttle and the bike responds.

I assume i will be getting better fuel mileage and will report after a few tanks at normal riding conditions.

The front wheel gets real loose in first gear but not off the ground, same as my GS1100 but does not make the crazy power on top. HP gains i think are minimal, if i had to guess i would say about 5hp on top but more in the lower gear mid-range.

I think there's more to get out of the motor with a dyno tune, but I'm very happy with the way it runs now. Fueling is still spot on with no dead spots.

We'll that's it in a nut shell, I hope this helps those who are interested.

Edit: almost forgot, on off throttle response is sooooo much better :thumbsup:

What about the Rev limiter?
 
CIP57_imp said:
Installed the ECU put the key in, no FI codes (phew) started her up and idle was perfect still no FI codes:thumbsup:

Warmed the bike up and checked the limiter ( see pic ) limiter is gone, there will be a time and place to check it, today was not the day.

Realized gains:
Stock 0-60 4.2 0-100 8.9
Flashed 0-60 3.7 0-100 8.3
I figured on these gains with the timing retard gone.

Whats impressive is the throttle response at 1/4 and 1/2 opening in lower gears. You just have to touch the throttle and the bike responds.

I assume i will be getting better fuel mileage and will report after a few tanks at normal riding conditions.

The front wheel gets real loose in first gear but not off the ground, same as my GS1100 but does not make the crazy power on top. HP gains i think are minimal, if i had to guess i would say about 5hp on top but more in the lower gear mid-range.

I think there's more to get out of the motor with a dyno tune, but I'm very happy with the way it runs now. Fueling is still spot on with no dead spots.

We'll that's it in a nut shell, I hope this helps those who are interested.

Edit: almost forgot, on off throttle response is sooooo much better :thumbsup:
That's worth it right there.

All about driveability IMO. Especially on the CB1100, a bike made to "enjoy the ride".
 
lola_imp said:
Quote:What about the Rev limiter?
CIP had mention that Ghul increases the rev limit by an additional 500rpms
CIP had mention that Ghul increases the rev limit by an additional 500rpms
Sorry... don't know how I missed that. Old age?
 
hedstrom_imp said:
lola_imp said:
Quote:What about the Rev limiter?
CIP had mention that Ghul increases the rev limit by an additional 500rpms
CIP had mention that Ghul increases the rev limit by an additional 500rpms
Sorry... don't know how I missed that. Old age?
CIP had mention that Ghul increases the rev limit by an additional 500rpms
Sorry... don't know how I missed that. Old age?
its not old age, that info was on a different post so your good:cool:
 
Greg said:

Quote:The ECU controls all important parameters of the power train and it doesn't take much digging to discover that most parameters are optimized to limit emissions in general and for efficient operation of the catalytic converter in particular. Ride-ability and engine performance are definitely compromised in the effort to satisfy fedregs.

One good example is complete, abrupt fuel shutoff in deceleration, to prevent excess un-burned fuel flowing through the cat. This "feature" is a definite hazard, and one that can be addressed by flashing the ECU.

Another example is multi-faceted, air-fuel ratio. Efficient cat operation requires an AFR that varies slightly around 14.7:1 (also known as the stoic, or stoichiometric which is the ideal, calculated ratio of air to fuel that results in complete consumption of all the air and all the fuel). Optimum engine performance requires an AFR in the neighborhood of 13.2:1.

The stoich is too hot and causes all kinds of problems, including pre-ignition, shortened engine life, popping on decel. Many "features" of our bike are patches to try and bridge the gap between what the cat needs and what the engine and rider need.
Good info. I take it then that, reflash aside, a PCV plugged in without further tuning would be looking at optimising air/fuel ratio for performance (optimising, not more power) enhancement. I think that this may be where VicsCB1100 was going in his thread Smooth Power Everywhere. I felt that thread was a "little" derailed by the performance Gurus. So, simply, a PCV would make for a better riding experience?

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Greg said:

Quote:The ECU controls all important parameters of the power train and it doesn't take much digging to discover that most parameters are optimized to limit emissions in general and for efficient operation of the catalytic converter in particular. Ride-ability and engine performance are definitely compromised in the effort to satisfy fedregs.

One good example is complete, abrupt fuel shutoff in deceleration, to prevent excess un-burned fuel flowing through the cat. This "feature" is a definite hazard, and one that can be addressed by flashing the ECU.

Another example is multi-faceted, air-fuel ratio. Efficient cat operation requires an AFR that varies slightly around 14.7:1 (also known as the stoic, or stoichiometric which is the ideal, calculated ratio of air to fuel that results in complete consumption of all the air and all the fuel). Optimum engine performance requires an AFR in the neighborhood of 13.2:1.

The stoich is too hot and causes all kinds of problems, including pre-ignition, shortened engine life, popping on decel. Many "features" of our bike are patches to try and bridge the gap between what the cat needs and what the engine and rider need.
Good info. I take it then that, reflash aside, a PCV plugged in without further tuning would be looking at optimising air/fuel ratio for performance (optimising, not more power) enhancement. I think that this may be where VicsCB1100 was going in his thread Smooth Power Everywhere. I felt that thread was a "little" derailed by the performance Gurus. So, simply, a PCV would make for a better riding experience?

Cheers

Good info. I take it then that, reflash aside, a PCV plugged in without further tuning would be looking at optimising air/fuel ratio for performance (optimising, not more power) enhancement. I think that this may be where VicsCB1100 was going in his thread [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2495]Smooth Power Everywhere. I felt that thread was a "little" derailed by the performance Gurus. So, simply, a PCV would make for a better riding experience?

Cheers
That's how I read it too.
 
I had my 2014 deluxe flashed thanks to CIP letting us know about Don! For $375 total 2 day service including overnite shipping back to you! I only rode my bike once been raining here but the cb1100 does now run like a 1100 should ! It just makes your bike run better at all speeds and riding conditions. I don't think anyone with a PC5 could make their bike run this good at all. It's pure plug & play 2 day wait time ! Most guys with a PC5 takes weeks tying to get there unit adj. I have put PC on cbr and gsxr bikes never getting all out of them as Don did with this flash. As the ole saying goes LET THOSE WHO RIDE DECIDE :) one thing for sure me & CIP will let everyone know the pros & cons as we ride them more. I also had mine on center stand speedo pegged out at 130mph at about 7,700 RPM mine will turn atleast 9,500 rpms I think it will run over 150 mph. Will let everyone know when I try it with a GPS. Flash not for everyone but for those who are thinking about it atleast you will have a heads up from me & CIP :)
 
Dyno runs would be useful. Right now my CB is fairly mild mannered (and I believe this to be a good thing) with a bit of a wild hair once the rpms get up there.

I don't think she'll see 150mph in standard trim. Different exhaust and opening up the air box would be needed. 150 will take some extra horse power.

Power Commanders are needed when we could not touch the ECU. Now that the ECU is accessible the Power Commander is become surplus. Same goes for other bolt on modifiers. Now we need open source ECU readers and writers like Moto Guzzi and Ducati have access to. That will really bring tuning to the masses.
 
Rboe : if Don had a cb1100 in his shop to put on dyno he could do anything to it he wants to do! He did mine & CIP by just what he thinks is close to right. He has ask for a cb1100 donor to really tune in real time on a dyno. As far as my bike all stock except for the ECU flash I could be wrong. But I will let you know what my top speed is. Again I said I think it will hit 150mph and I still think it will get very close to that speed with stock pipes , filter etc. Will keep you posted. :)
 
Great news guys, thanks for sharing info. Keep us informed of you impressions after some rides. I'am looking forward to getting this done!
 
Back
Top