Flashed CB1100 Review

CIP57_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Installed the ECU put the key in, no FI codes (phew) started her up and idle was perfect still no FI codes:thumbsup:

Warmed the bike up and checked the limiter ( see pic ) limiter is gone, there will be a time and place to check it, today was not the day.

Realized gains:
Stock 0-60 4.2 0-100 8.9
Flashed 0-60 3.7 0-100 8.3
I figured on these gains with the timing retard gone.

Whats impressive is the throttle response at 1/4 and 1/2 opening in lower gears. You just have to touch the throttle and the bike responds.

I assume i will be getting better fuel mileage and will report after a few tanks at normal riding conditions.

The front wheel gets real loose in first gear but not off the ground, same as my GS1100 but does not make the crazy power on top. HP gains i think are minimal, if i had to guess i would say about 5hp on top but more in the lower gear mid-range.

I think there's more to get out of the motor with a dyno tune, but I'm very happy with the way it runs now. Fueling is still spot on with no dead spots.

We'll that's it in a nut shell, I hope this helps those who are interested.

Edit: almost forgot, on off throttle response is sooooo much better :thumbsup:
 
well that is GOOD news for those interested in this mod. Glad to stepped up Steve and that it all worked out as you had hoped. Even the Ferret has not taken a one handed pic at THAT speed! ;)
 
Thread starter
Even the Ferret has not taken a one handed pic at THAT speed! Wink

It wasn't easy, even on the center stand:D
 
How is the exhaust sound, any gurgling or backfiring when you let up? ( I forget if your exhaust is stock or nor.... )
And the big question "Was it worth it, would you do it again, would you recommend to a friend?"
 
Very cool - thanks for the info!
Funny, I often find myself comparing mine to my old '83 GS1100e, too. Those fond memories are actually one of the main reasons I got the CB. ;)
 
At last some conclusion to this whole debacle.

I have to say, if all this expense and drama nets us only around 10 mph, bearing in mind that was on the centre stand, no drag, now wind resistance, no tyre friction or heavy rider to carry.... Is this all placebo and did Honda just get it perfect to begin with?

I can count on no hands the number of times that extra 10mph OVER 112 mph will be essential, or even useful.

Just sayin' :beerchug:
 
This whole principal thing is lost on you Tortuga, isn't it? :rofl:

You guys across the pond are just too used to big brother running your lives. We won't stand for it here in the colonies.
 
Thread starter
Tortuga_imp said:
At last some conclusion to this whole debacle.

I have to say, if all this expense and drama nets us only around 10 mph, bearing in mind that was on the centre stand, no drag, now wind resistance, no tyre friction or heavy rider to carry.... Is this all placebo and did Honda just get it perfect to begin with?

I can count on no hands the number of times that extra 10mph OVER 112 mph will be essential, or even useful.

Just sayin' :beerchug:
Why I respond to this im not sure, it was I demonstration, could have buried the speedo since bike is limited to 186
 
CIP57_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
At last some conclusion to this whole debacle.

I have to say, if all this expense and drama nets us only around 10 mph, bearing in mind that was on the centre stand, no drag, now wind resistance, no tyre friction or heavy rider to carry.... Is this all placebo and did Honda just get it perfect to begin with?

I can count on no hands the number of times that extra 10mph OVER 112 mph will be essential, or even useful.

Just sayin' :beerchug:
Why I respond to this im not sure, it was I demonstration, could have buried the speedo since bike is limited to 186
Why I respond to this im not sure, it was I demonstration, could have buried the speedo since bike is limited to 186
Sorry, I had no idea.

And well done. :hello: good work fella
The ferret_imp said:
This whole principal thing is lost on you Tortuga, isn't it? :rofl:

You guys across the pond are just too used to big brother running your lives. We won't stand for it here in the colonies.
You're quite right.

Why would I want to live in a repressed land where we can have sex with 16 year olds, drink at 18 and don't have to carry guns.

I'm looking to relocate real soon. :D
 
The ferret_imp said:
This whole principal thing is lost on you Tortuga, isn't it? :rofl:

You guys across the pond are just too used to big brother running your lives. We won't stand for it here in the colonies.
Well, Ferret is starting to get lively. Watch it or he'll be using potty words!:rofl::clap:
 
CIP57_imp said:
Even the Ferret has not taken a one handed pic at THAT speed! Wink

It wasn't easy, even on the center stand:D
Holy doo-doo! Hope you had the front end strapped down!
 
Tortuga_imp said:
At last some conclusion to this whole debacle.

I have to say, if all this expense and drama nets us only around 10 mph, bearing in mind that was on the centre stand, no drag, now wind resistance, no tyre friction or heavy rider to carry.... Is this all placebo and did Honda just get it perfect to begin with?

I can count on no hands the number of times that extra 10mph OVER 112 mph will be essential, or even useful.

Just sayin' :beerchug:
Top speed ain't the issue; Don Guhl did my FZ8 and it's all about the throttle response and gains in torque and horsepower. The CB1100 doesn't really have any rideability issues, but it's so detuned that this reflash just "wakes it up". I know exactly what CIP57 is talking about here, and what our bike needs, for experienced riders anyhoo, is MORE throttle response in the first four gears. The difference once the factory restrictions are removed is just stunning and I am sure it's the same for the CB1100.

This is at the top of my list of things to do. It may in fact be the only thing I ever do to the bike as I just rode it again today and found it to be very fun and very cool. The reflash just makes it "more" of what it already is.
 
Quote:You're quite right.

Why would I want to live in a repressed land where we can have sex with 16 year olds, drink at 18 and don't have to carry guns.

I'm looking to relocate real soon. :D
:banana: Party Time :banana: :D

Thanks for being the first one CIP!

Now I could actully beat this minivan I always come accross on my way to work.
 
lola_imp said:
Quote:You're quite right.

Why would I want to live in a repressed land where we can have sex with 16 year olds, drink at 18 and don't have to carry guns.

I'm looking to relocate real soon. :D
:banana: Party Time :banana: :D

Thanks for being the first one CIP!

Now I could actully beat this minivan I always come accross on my way to work.
:banana: Party Time :banana: :D

Thanks for being the first one CIP!

Now I could actully beat this minivan I always come accross on my way to work.
Lol. Party time indeed.
 
Very good news for those who want to "optimized" their bike...I am one of them...lol. can't wait to get the extra oumph! Thanks for being a pioneer.
 
Tortuga_imp said:
At last some conclusion to this whole debacle.

I have to say, if all this expense and drama nets us only around 10 mph, bearing in mind that was on the centre stand, no drag, now wind resistance, no tyre friction or heavy rider to carry.... Is this all placebo and did Honda just get it perfect to begin with?

I can count on no hands the number of times that extra 10mph OVER 112 mph will be essential, or even useful.

Just sayin' :beerchug:
Tortuga, I've enjoyed your postings, but this one is a bit odd, I must say. Maybe :beerchug: figures into it?

This is not a debacle and CIP57's post is hardly a conclusion. This blog serves a variety of interests, from curious potential owners to seasoned bike owners and mechanics. To denigrate a mod that has many of us interested is to assume the only proper purposes of the blog is to offer praises and thanks to the gods of Honda who have deigned to favor us with the CB1100, and to trade witticisms and social banter.

Many of us are trying to get our heads around PGM-FI and its amazing ECU. In many important ways, the ECU is the bike. Honda's own promotional materials on PGM-FI make clear that early on they saw the writing on the wall regarding the regulatory trends in its major markets and went all-in to deploy an EFI that would allow them to continue selling vehicles into increasingly stringent markets.

The ECU controls all important parameters of the power train and it doesn't take much digging to discover that most parameters are optimized to limit emissions in general and for efficient operation of the catalytic converter in particular. Ride-ability and engine performance are definitely compromised in the effort to satisfy fedregs.

One good example is complete, abrupt fuel shutoff in deceleration, to prevent excess un-burned fuel flowing through the cat. This "feature" is a definite hazard, and one that can be addressed by flashing the ECU.

Another example is multi-faceted, air-fuel ratio. Efficient cat operation requires an AFR that varies slightly around 14.7:1 (also known as the stoic, or stoichiometric which is the ideal, calculated ratio of air to fuel that results in complete consumption of all the air and all the fuel). Optimum engine performance requires an AFR in the neighborhood of 13.2:1.

The stoich is too hot and causes all kinds of problems, including pre-ignition, shortened engine life, popping on decel. Many "features" of our bike are patches to try and bridge the gap between what the cat needs and what the engine and rider need.

Sorry if my post is depressing to some. Knowing the facts should not diminish enjoyment of a fabulous machine. However I am reminded of the first time I saw photographs in an anatomy book of (how should I put this) certain parts of the female body. (I see you hovering there, ferret) I was gobsmacked, and my pre-adolescent visions of feminine charms forever shattered. But that certainly didn't put me off women!

So we are all law-abiding (though increasingly sorely pressed) citizens and have no desire to defy the (increasingly numerous and increasingly armed) authorities.

These inquiries are merely to satisfy our curiosity and possibly enhance the motorcycling experience when in appropriate situations.
 
Back
Top