Fitted the NC Plexi 3.

flynrider

Road warrior
Thread starter
Did some highway riding on Sat. with the temperature around 50 deg.
F. After about an hour at highway speed the cold was soaking through. The CB1100 was wearing its summer shield, an NC Deflector DX and I wasn't wearing any special cold weather gear.

I'd already mounted the Plexi 3 on the CB750, as I usually do each winter. I started wondering if that might work for the CB1100 as well. My main concern was that National Cycle does not list the Plexi 3 in their fitment guide for the CB1100, although they do list the Plexistar 2 which is virtually the same shield without the lowers. My guess was that the lowers might not fit behind those big turn signals.

Last night I had some free time, so I pulled the Plexi 3 off the CB750 and tried it out on the CB11. Initially, it was a pretty tight fit behind the turn signals, as expected. I also had to relocate the handlebar mounts to a lower position because the clutch master cylinder was getting in the way of the arm that extends back from the shield.

In the end I did get it to fit, but it was a really tight squeeze. I can see why NC doesn't recommend it. I'll test ride it for a few weeks to see if it works out. I wouldn't be opposed to using a Plexi 2 on the bike, but I really like the lowers that keep my knees warm in the winter.

f8ce1e83c181c4f56fa19bec3cf46ed2.jpg
 
Looks good!

We start celebrating around here in the spring when it makes it up to 50 degrees. Time to pull the shields and start serious riding ha ha
 
Thread starter
I test rode it to work this morning. Temps were in the mid 40s. Coverage was almost as good as on the CB750 and I was a lot more comfortable at 50+ mph. Everything from mid-shin to the upper part of my helmet was out of the breeze.

The larger instrument cluster on the CB11 was bumping the shield, so I had to adjust the rake forward about 1/4". I also noticed that coverage for my hands wasn't as good. The way it fits leaves the bar ends at the upper part of the area covered by the shield side extensions (see pic).

Overall, I don't think I'm going to run out and buy a Plexi 3 for this bike. The fit is really tight and there's very little room for adjustment. I'll probably ride it for another week or two and see if I change my mind.
 
Thread starter
Sunday mornings I'm usually flying with my airplane buddies (the first half of Flynrider!)

I took some front and back pics when I was at work today :

2c309b303ba5b7c15962a1feb2825e20.jpg


d44d29d32680f83999d6a33c5bebca02.jpg
 
Well. I'd rather fly too. :) Thanks for the pics. :worship: The protection for the hands and legs looks pretty good. I take it you are still on the fence.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
Well. I'd rather fly too. :) Thanks for the pics. :worship: The protection for the hands and legs looks pretty good. I take it you are still on the fence.
Leg protection is great. Hand coverage is just OK at speed. The bars sit back and kind of high behind the cutouts (see the top pic). The cb750's bars sit inside the middle of the curved cutout with the lever ends about 1/4" from the shield.

I think I'm going to put the Plexi 3 back on the CB750 and try a Plexi 2. I was looking it over today and noticed that the shield is pushing against the back of the turn signals and I can't adjust it back any farther. Overall, I like the coverage, but the shield just doesn't fit the bike well.

I had high hopes when another member posted a pic of an original model Plexifairing on his CB11. I guess the older ones had a slightly different shape.
 
CA 200 is running a Plexi 2 on his and has posted several pics. If you have any questions about fitment on that model, he would be you go to guy. Correct me if Im wrong though the only diff between a 2 and 3 is the longer leg shields on the 3.. Right? They are shaped the same ???
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
CA 200 is running a Plexi 2 on his and has posted several pics. If you have any questions about fitment on that model, he would be you go to guy. Correct me if Im wrong though the only diff between a 2 and 3 is the longer leg shields on the 3.. Right? They are shaped the same ???
Yeah, I saw CA200's original post and his looks pretty good.

You're right. The Plexi 3 is basically a Plexi 2 with lowers than run down the fork legs. When it comes to fitment, it's the lower part of the shield that seems to cause all of the issues. It's too bad because that is the part that keeps my knees nice and warm.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
Well. I'd rather fly too. :) Thanks for the pics. :worship: The protection for the hands and legs looks pretty good. I take it you are still on the fence.
Leg protection is great. Hand coverage is just OK at speed. The bars sit back and kind of high behind the cutouts (see the top pic). The cb750's bars sit inside the middle of the curved cutout with the lever ends about 1/4" from the shield.

I think I'm going to put the Plexi 3 back on the CB750 and try a Plexi 2. I was looking it over today and noticed that the shield is pushing against the back of the turn signals and I can't adjust it back any farther. Overall, I like the coverage, but the shield just doesn't fit the bike well.

I had high hopes when another member posted a pic of an original model Plexifairing on his CB11. I guess the older ones had a slightly different shape.
Leg protection is great. Hand coverage is just OK at speed. The bars sit back and kind of high behind the cutouts (see the top pic). The cb750's bars sit inside the middle of the curved cutout with the lever ends about 1/4" from the shield.

I think I'm going to put the Plexi 3 back on the CB750 and try a Plexi 2. I was looking it over today and noticed that the shield is pushing against the back of the turn signals and I can't adjust it back any farther. Overall, I like the coverage, but the shield just doesn't fit the bike well.

I had high hopes when another member posted a pic of an original model Plexifairing on his CB11. I guess the older ones had a slightly different shape. If you go with the Plexi 2, you may have to add lowers to avoid turbulence. My experience with larger shields is that you really need lowers to make them work right.
 
Thread starter
sanoke_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
Well. I'd rather fly too. :) Thanks for the pics. :worship: The protection for the hands and legs looks pretty good. I take it you are still on the fence.
Leg protection is great. Hand coverage is just OK at speed. The bars sit back and kind of high behind the cutouts (see the top pic). The cb750's bars sit inside the middle of the curved cutout with the lever ends about 1/4" from the shield.

I think I'm going to put the Plexi 3 back on the CB750 and try a Plexi 2. I was looking it over today and noticed that the shield is pushing against the back of the turn signals and I can't adjust it back any farther. Overall, I like the coverage, but the shield just doesn't fit the bike well.

I had high hopes when another member posted a pic of an original model Plexifairing on his CB11. I guess the older ones had a slightly different shape.
Leg protection is great. Hand coverage is just OK at speed. The bars sit back and kind of high behind the cutouts (see the top pic). The cb750's bars sit inside the middle of the curved cutout with the lever ends about 1/4" from the shield.

I think I'm going to put the Plexi 3 back on the CB750 and try a Plexi 2. I was looking it over today and noticed that the shield is pushing against the back of the turn signals and I can't adjust it back any farther. Overall, I like the coverage, but the shield just doesn't fit the bike well.

I had high hopes when another member posted a pic of an original model Plexifairing on his CB11. I guess the older ones had a slightly different shape. If you go with the Plexi 2, you may have to add lowers to avoid turbulence. My experience with larger shields is that you really need lowers to make them work right.
That's right. I've had a Plexi 2 and a similar Slipstreamer on previous bikes. Without the lowers they had pronounced breeze from back to front at highway speed. In cold weather that sends a chilly wind right up the back of your helmet.

I'll be looking around the 'net to see what kind of lower options are available. Nat. Cycle makes them for cruisers, but nothing that fits the CB.

I put the Plexi 3 back on the CB750 today. Looks like that'll be my ride on the colder days (not that many here in Central AZ).
 
Back
Top