First time Down "Ouch"

JF Coastal_imp

Been there
Thread starter
So, Last tuesday afternoon I was riding my CB1100 around town and when I was cautiously going through and intersection some "Jack" turned left right in front of me. I had two option break hard / hit car and possibly do flips down the road. Second option is what I chose Quick turn left while breaking sliding out and missing car completely. It's amazing how many things go through your mind when sliding across the concrete.

Luckily the bike and I are fine. For me, i have road rash all up and down the left side. Treating some of them as burn injuries. Left hip has hemotoma which swelled out pretty dramatically. Had xrays done. No broken bones. Meeting with Orthopedic tomorrow afternoon. to confirm. Many sleepless nights.

Bike needs engine guard replaced. one engine cover. left side turn signals / grip / left mirror. These bikes are tanks, I thought surely it would be in worse condition after sliding 30 yards at 30 mph give or take.

Be careful out there.
 
Thread starter
Outlander.... No he sure didn't . He took right off from scene. Luckily two other drivers quickly jumped to help. One blocking the CB1100 so that no one hit it by accident. And the other rushing to me to make sure I was alright.

Thanks Rocky. I'm trying to heal quickly. seems like it might take awhile though.
Me too Empty Sea. Thanks. . I guess there is a chance of a hairline fracture in my hip. Sure hope that's a negative.
 
sorry to hear that.. wishing you a speedy recovery and the driver will be caught....
 
Two questions: What kind of gear were you wearing? And did the bike not have ABS? If it did, did it not activate or work in some way?

Good you are still here to tell of your experience.

These low-speed get-offs are not uncommon and tend to be instructive.
 
Thread starter
Thanks everyone.

Nemo, Culprit was immediately gone. Blue Sedan of some sort. I didn't even do a police report. It was over so quickly, and my head was all rattled up. I guess I should have called the police. But, I was late for a meeting and as soon as my bike was off the road. Everything seemed to be moving so quickly again. I was confused and just got on the bike and road off.

As for gear. I was in the wrong. I had jeans and work shoes on. gloves and shoei helmet. (Helmet saved me big time.) I wore my jacket in the morning, but not to run home for my meeting since it was nearly 100 degrees. My stupid mistake. some of road rash could have been eliminated. But wouldn't have helped with hip, etc..
 
JF,

Sorry to hear about your incident. Heal fast and get back in the saddle!

The scenario that you describe is one of my worst nightmares while riding. I'm glad that it wasn't worse than it was.

Take care.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Haystack. Right now, I'm trying to decide if I should file an insurance claim or not. Not much damage but when I start adding it up. It may be worthwhile especially if my gear is covered. Hmmm. ...
 
Bummer man. You probably came out of that scenario about as well as can be expected. Hitting a solid object like a car hurts and there isn't any give. I speak from experience. Wish I had the relatively minor injuries you have, but I hit the car and broke quite a few things. Still dealing with repercussions from the accident 47 years later. They will never go away and at this point will likely bother me until the end.

I hope you heal quickly and completely
 
Ouch! Not good news JFC. I hope your recovery is swift.
 
Hells bells bro that could have been much worse. Glad you're going to be OK. Keep riding and wear your gear. Heal quickly and see you on the road.

Chip
 
Hope the hip is okay. The road rash is bad enough. Been there, done that, and don't want to do it again. Coudoes to those that helped you and the bike!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Those guys usually run from what I hear and they are seldom caught, because there you are lying in the road and who else cares to chase a stranger? When caught, they claim they never saw anyone and since there isn't a scratch on their car it couldn't have been their fault anyway. You're just an incompetent motorcyclist looking for someone to blame, in their eyes. I once had a friend on a bicycle actually hit by a car and knocked to the pavement. The motorist stopped, got out of the car, saw my friend lying there, got back into the car and sped away. In this case, he was caught as a passerby got his plate. In court, his story was that he thought he hit a bush!! Think he had insurance? Would you write a policy for a moron like him?
 
Back
Top