First Service

larryblag_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Very happy with the CB, best bike I've had for a very long time (perhaps since the VFR800? ).
Covered just shy of 1100 miles now (must get an odometer photo) and booked in for first service. Long lead time caught me out again but I suppose it's better being slightly late than too early. Quoted £130 which makes me wonder what oil they're putting in there?

 
Houtman_imp said:
You can EASILY do the oil/filter change your self for probably 30 pounds or less.
I think that in the UK initial service must be done by a dealer in order to keep warranty in force.
 
You can do the service yourself. Providing you use Honda brand filter and approved oil the warranty should not be affected. This has been case law in the motor industry for some time. cheers.
 
I confirmed by talking with Honda Power Sports U.S. by telephone that most service can, and usually is, performed by the owners of Honda motorcycles, and will not affect the warranty, provided the owner document the service, date, mileage, and parts used. This includes the first service which according to the manual for my 2017 CB1100 EX is nothing more than an oil and filter change. I contacted Honda U.S. to ask this question, after an unscrupulous dealer told me a dealer first service ( $148.50 U.S., PLUS parts!) was required for warranty. Not true, at least in the U.S..

There may be some reason in the UK that requires the Dealer perform that service that I am not aware of, so I would just call Honda Power Sports UK and ask the question as to whether of not you can do that service without affecting the warranty, if I were you. Assuming there is no Honda UK reason you cant do the service yourself, even if you have to buy the the few tools necessary (if you do not already have them), plus oil and filter, it is still going to be less expensive, quicker, and easier than having the dealer do it. There are only a few service items I would not feel comfortable doing myself, but oil and filter change is not one of those.
 
a dealer is probably putting in drum oil, and probably dino oil and probably 10W 40, but I would ask the dealer what he uses.
 
I don't know the rules in the UK regarding dealer servicing and the warranty, but I've changed oil and filter on dozens of bikes and dozens of cars, and the CB1100 is the easiest bike I've ever done. Probably I could wear a suit and do the service, and not get dirty so long as I wore my nitrile gloves.

Would hate to see the OP pay that much money for such a simple service!
 
Nitrile gloves have turned out to be a popular item on our house. Penny likes them for gardening and messy cleaning jobs especially those requiring solvents. I use them for oil changes and drive chain maintenance. A little baby powder on the on the hands helps them slip on and off easily.

I always smile when I manage to slash one of them on a sharp part of the bike, but walk away unscathed.

The on-line prices are crazy, but a box of them can be bought from Walmart for $12.
 
Just done the first service at 549 miles myself. Always work on my own bikes because 1) it gives me great satisfaction and 2) i dont trust dealers to take proper care like I would. Replaced with good quality oil and new filter (wont mention brands because everyone has their own favourite).

Anyhow, What suprised me was how dirty the oil was. No metallic bits at all or anything sinister there but it was really brown and well.......dirty. Especially for a mere 549 miles. ( Didnt use a drop BTW ). The other thing was whilst i cant prove it, it certainly didnt look like 10w/30 to me. It was quite thick and if i was a betting man looked/smelt more like a mineral based oil. I wondered whether this was for running in purposes?

Piece of p*** to do and really enjoyable. On my own in the garage, door closed, mug of tea, pack of digestives and Black Sabbath on the stereo. Great afternoon.
 
Jfro5687_imp said:
Just done the first service at 549 miles myself. Always work on my own bikes because 1) it gives me great satisfaction and 2) i dont trust dealers to take proper care like I would. Replaced with good quality oil and new filter (wont mention brands because everyone has their own favourite).

Anyhow, What suprised me was how dirty the oil was. No metallic bits at all or anything sinister there but it was really brown and well.......dirty. Especially for a mere 549 miles. ( Didnt use a drop BTW ). The other thing was whilst i cant prove it, it certainly didnt look like 10w/30 to me. It was quite thick and if i was a betting man looked/smelt more like a mineral based oil. I wondered whether this was for running in purposes?

Piece of p*** to do and really enjoyable. On my own in the garage, door closed, mug of tea, pack of digestives and Black Sabbath on the stereo. Great afternoon.
That's not unusual. My oil looked like that after the first 600 mi. I'm pretty sure that the reason is the various greases and lubes used in engine assembly, wash out into the oil after the engine is operated.
 
Apologies to everyone who hadn't heard of digestives (forgot this is world wide). A digestive is not a sexy biscuit but it hits the spot, bit like a custard creme! :celebrate:
 
Just been to the petrol station and back to top up (didnt really need to but it was a good excuse to have 20 mins on it). First time out since the service. Well I swear the gearchange is even slicker than before and it spins up ever so nicely. I keep telling myself its got to be a figment of my imagination but no, I am sure it is better than before. The bike ticks over super sweet. Anyone who says these CB's are slow and underpowered has not ridden one, I opened it up and let it sing in second and third and its got enough to make you 'woo-hoo'. Looks to be geared for about 85 in second and something like 110 in third (albeit didnt get to anywhere near that). I mean how fast do people want? Anyway, really enjoyed it.
 
Curious....did you switch to synthetic with first oil change? Is there a minimum mileage one should wait to switch?
 
Cqrlm911_imp said:
Curious....did you switch to synthetic with first oil change? Is there a minimum mileage one should wait to switch?
I switched at over 14000 km. There was no rhyme or reason other than I was getting a bit paranoid with the GN-4 10W40 in very hot conditions.

Some folks suggest waiting a bit until the engine is broken-in. Does that mean after the first oil change (1000 km)?
 
For the information of our trans-Atlantic/Pacific(?) friends, Digestive biscuits are a wheatmealy-type of biscuit that can also be covered on one side with either milk or dark chocolate.
The eating experience of these is, simply, orgasmic... :rolleyes:
 
Back
Top