First Ride, what a joy

The Gecko_imp

Been there
Thread starter
After
- cleaning every corner of the bike,
- replacing filters, tank, hoses, chain and sprocket, turn signals
- takin' every switch and many connectors apart since they must have all gotten wet
- wheels off and on (for cleaning the calipers), and replacing brake pads and fluids
- getting mud out from on top and behind the cylinders, spokes, and in G.knows how many other places
- not the least cleaning and polishing the pipes for hours ....
- getting rid of the O2 sensors (which didn't work no more),
- and screaming for joy when the engine started the other night (after many more not so successful attempts ...)

I had my first ride today, up to Monte Sano State Park ... in case the engine quit under my but, from where I could still roll home.

What a beauty, and all mine for 3000 bucks, plus parts and a lot of optimism, and some 40 or 50 hours of really hard work. Riders, friends, forum members ... I love this bike ! Tomorrow will be a daredevil's trip all the way to Guntersville lake, hopefully in sunshine and 80F.
 
Well, Congrats! That's awesome Geko. You will find this bike only gets better with every ride.
 
Cograts on getting your bike into riding shape. Makes me wonder what exactly the PO did to get the bike so messed up.
 
Gecko, you are my hero. Or heroine, whichever you prefer. I admire your tenacity and spirit, not to mention your talents. That bike must just sparkle with all the love you have poured into it. Congratulations and enjoy, you have earned it!
 
Wow, what a long strange journey! The reward must feel awesome. Congrats!
 
Congratulations! welcome to the club. The bike is life changing if you've never had one like it.

If you make it to Guntersville your next assignment is to make it down to Birmingham this weekend. My wife and I are down there for the Barber festival on the mini bikes. i'll buy you a buccee's BBQ sandwich as a reward for all your hard work.
 
Thread starter
pdedse_imp said:
Cograts on getting your bike into riding shape. Makes me wonder what exactly the PO did to get the bike so messed up.

All I know is he is rolling in money, think he tried to sell quick after the drop, and it didn’t work. So the bike stud in his garage afterwards, no ad online, guess he couldn’t post photos ;) A friend of a friend told me. Got a chance to see her in a dark garage for 2min - yes or no ? he asked impatiently. Even 4.5k asking looked stretched. But I played my hunches and walked away with her for 3. Still was a risky shot in the dark. If the engine hadn’t come back alive w/o a full tear down ...
 
The rewards of knowledge and hard work are yours, Gecko. Congratulations and best wishes for many long and happy miles together.

Is she ready to be photographed yet?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The rewards of knowledge and hard work are yours, Gecko. Congratulations and best wishes for many long and happy miles together.

Is she ready to be photographed yet?
Good point Sgt. C.

Make it a good snap Gecko and the resurrection CB1100 could make the 2023 Forum calendar. :shy:
 
Thread starter
I am still riding with the badly damaged tank, waiting for a new one from Japan. once received and installed I’ll happily show pictures.
 
Understood. But you’re riding. That’s the good bit.
 
The Gecko_imp said:
I am still riding with the badly damaged tank, waiting for a new one from Japan. once received and installed I’ll happily show pictures.
I would think the "rescue CB1100", as it might currently be (?), could be a photogenic candidate.

Fictional example:

Let's say a member's CB1100 is a salvage from the ravages of hurricane Ian found weeks later two kilometers down a street, half buried in mud, trash and crushed by a Hyundai Sonata. To some, this rescue could be a candidate. Not shiny, but character and soul nonetheless.

It could remind some calendar viewers why we ride such bikes, but just from a different point of view.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
The Gecko_imp said:
I am still riding with the badly damaged tank, waiting for a new one from Japan. once received and installed I’ll happily show pictures.
I would think the "rescue CB1100", as it might currently be (?), could be a photogenic candidate.

Fictional example:

Let's say a member's CB1100 is a salvage from the ravages of hurricane Ian found weeks later two kilometers down a street, half buried in mud, trash and crushed by a Hyundai Sonata. To some, this rescue could be a candidate. Not shiny, but character and soul nonetheless.

It could remind some calendar viewers why we ride such bikes, but just from a different point of view.
I would think the "rescue CB1100", as it might currently be (?), could be a photogenic candidate.

Fictional example:

Let's say a member's CB1100 is a salvage from the ravages of hurricane Ian found weeks later two kilometers down a street, half buried in mud, trash and crushed by a Hyundai Sonata. To some, this rescue could be a candidate. Not shiny, but character and soul nonetheless.

It could remind some calendar viewers why we ride such bikes, but just from a different point of view.
I was actually specifically looking for a super "non-standard" or counterculture viewpoint on the bike to include somewhere in the calendar. One user sent me an awesome series of pictures of his bike in a state of disassembly, which I will collage up and feature. bikes that are super dirty or ridden in very rough conditions, as long as the photography itself is good, is certainly on the menu and would be a cool thing to use.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Understood. But you’re riding. That’s the good bit.
Have you changed your avatar lately ?
(seeing the word 'police' on every other forum page opened is a little weird to me) ;)
 
The Gecko_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Understood. But you’re riding. That’s the good bit.
Have you changed your avatar lately ?
(seeing the word 'police' on every other forum page opened is a little weird to me) ;)
Have you changed your avatar lately ?
(seeing the word 'police' on every other forum page opened is a little weird to me) ;)
Yes I have. GO, the Canadian Comedian, appointed me to the Grammar Police and offered up an avatar which I adopted. It was a boring job so I quit after a day or two and went back to being a forum moderator which, I guess, makes me the Fun Police. Call me fickle, but I took on a new avatar. Is it a problem? Should I remove any reference to ‘police’?
 
Mmm ... maybe I'd better go undercover again.
 
Back
Top