First Ride since Surgery

Ulvetanna_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
10 days out from being under the knife for hernia repair, just couldn't take it any more, felt good enough to try riding a bit.

CB1100 was all ready to go, new rear tire (Conti Road Attack 2 Classic Race), new OEM grips, and most importantly: RLETs. Yes, without those, it would not have been the same.

Perfect weather, did my whole round trip of about 100 miles. Just the right bike to get back onto, so easy to ride.
 
Wish you the best and from my experience , had a Mesh put in from side to side when they did mine in 1988 and was told i would never have any more and life is good :thumbsup:
 
I know how you feel....Back in 1971, I hit a large dog while riding my CL350. I suffered a cerebral concussion and a short term memory loss. According to witnesses, I was sliding on the road at 60mph and my head took a big hit. The old BUCO helmet saved my life. No other damage except a cut lip. When I got home from the hospital, I inspected the CL and found minor scratches on the engine guard, turn signal and rear carrier. I looked and my parents were not home and I fired the CL up and rode down the road. A typical upstate NY Yute.
 
Seems too soon, but glad it was ok for you. Yep, would not have been possible without healing powers of the RLET's
 
Thread starter
Desert viper_imp said:
Hope you put it on the side stand.....
Oh man, you got that right. I was thinking about that every time I had to park it. Had to stop for gas, for coffee (with a huge audience) and again at home. I have seen guys forget to put it down, or think it's down and it isn't quite all the way. But it turned out OK. I did start to get a little pain in the "huevo a la derecha" on the last few miles home but not too bad.

I removed the centerstand a long time ago as a few here have read. I use paddock stands which are a lot easier on the back.
The ferret_imp said:
Seems too soon, but glad it was ok for you. Yep, would not have been possible without healing powers of the RLET's
Yes, it was the RLETs all along. Without those, well, who can say?
The thing sure handled a lot better with the new tire. I'm gonna forego the Gold Valves and springs, the bike worked so well with the new rubber. It brought it back to where I'd gotten it this spring when I first put on the RA2 CRs. There was about 5mm of rubber worn in the center of the tire and it just made a big difference in stability and handling. Not only ride height but the tire weighs less and obviously less round.
dsinned_imp said:
Welcome back to the joy of riding your CB1100!
You will be there soon.
 
I crashed a bicycle a few months after my hernia repair. Was a little sore there but it was all good soon enough. So the new hernia repairs should hold up pretty well. Doc just said it's not as good as new though so don't over do it.
 
Thread starter
nhawk7504_imp said:
I crashed a bicycle a few months after my hernia repair. Was a little sore there but it was all good soon enough. So the new hernia repairs should hold up pretty well. Doc just said it's not as good as new though so don't over do it.
That's what I understand. I'm only riding the CB1100 on shorter rides, staying off the ADV and supersport for now.
 
My grandfather had the best description of hernia surgery.
"If feels like they sewed your stomach to your leg."
The only good thing about my hernia was how I got it, horizontal maneuvers.
Welcome back to the saddle.
crutch
 
Thread starter
Rolls_imp said:
This might be one of the few times where you might want to dial those springs down to the softest setting.
You are exactly right and that is just what I have done. Damping to #1/softest and preload to #2 of 3 settings. I tried the damping at #2 and it was still too harsh.

I used to have it at max preload and damping #4, but then again I used to not have gray hair.:D
crutch_imp said:
My grandfather had the best description of hernia surgery.
"If feels like they sewed your stomach to your leg."
The only good thing about my hernia was how I got it, horizontal maneuvers.
Welcome back to the saddle.
crutch
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Yeah, I think that is not too far off the mark; that feeling is starting ease up but I can feel that the surgeon really did not seem to spare any expense on the mesh, he got in there and really laid in a spread. Guess he wanted to make sure it would last. Feels like a bionic pad or something but it's a lot better than having that bit of intestine wanting to poke out.
 
Back
Top