First ride in over a year

Randy B

Road warrior
Thread starter
Since I just installed a new battery I figured it was time for a quick ride to make sure all was inn order. After airing up the tires I just took a quick jaunt over to taco bell and back.




 
A full year off? I hope all is well...good to know that the bike runs fine after a furlough of that length.
 
Good to see you getting out again, Randy B. How was it?
 
wow a year is a long time to go without a ride. Glad you are back in the saddle again.
 
I suppose it depends on the bike. I can think of a few bikes where a year off wouldn't be long enough, but on a CB1100, it would be an eternity!
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Good to see you getting out again, Randy B. How was it?
LongRanger_imp said:
I suppose it depends on the bike. I can think of a few bikes where a year off wouldn't be long enough, but on a CB1100, it would be an eternity!
Yeah, it's been a bit. My hip has been bothering me (arthritis) and it can make straddling the seat not all that pleasant at times.

The short ride was just fine. Now I just need to do a little maintenance (oil change, adjust the chain and wash it). I'm sure you guys could see the dust on the gauges and the windscreen.
 
Hey Randy, good to read you’re on the bike again. Good to take it slow and feel your way back. Let me know if/ when you’re up for a ride to Mt Hamilton and I’ll join you.
 
Thread starter
Pauley_imp said:
Hey Randy, good to read you’re on the bike again. Good to take it slow and feel your way back. Let me know if/ when you’re up for a ride to Mt Hamilton and I’ll join you.
My only real worry about that is the hip will say "I'm done" somewhere about halfway between the fire station and the summit.
 
I wonder if your answer to the hip (outside of surgery - and from what I hear most folks say they should have done it much sooner) is a scooter. No straddling, and if you get the MP500 with three wheels you can lock them in the vertical when stopped so you don't even have to put a foot down. I had an instructor that had two Burgman's and rode the snot out of them.

In the mean time, pace yourself. Good luck!!
 
Just saw this today. Glad you are back in the saddle Randy. I keep telling myself to meet up with the local Bay Area contingent so we shall make it happen soon ..Cheers...Vijay
 
Those green gauges were one of the best retro features that always makes me smile.

Ulike my FTC screen or whatever it is...............:huh:





ACK
 
Hopefully one day soon the rider can just "click-mount" their personal device, securely authenticate with the bike, start ignition and display their preferred instrument cluster graphics. It could be a classic steam-dial arrangement (e.g. speedo, tach, odo), or some vague "Trekkie", or "Matrix" presentation. Arguably in 2020, we should already be there, however, I suspect there are some regulatory and safety barriers that need addressing. I am not certain what that would be given that display information is read-only, and not controlling the machine.

Just think: No more instrumentation cluster replacements. The instrumention dash would dock your device and a coffee cup. Interface would be wireless, so any smart device can interface.
 
No coffee cup. I’ve a suspicion drivers drinking coffee are nearly as lethal as mobile phone users.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
No coffee cup. I’ve a suspicion drivers drinking coffee are nearly as lethal as mobile phone users.
Heh, heh, ... I was being facetious. Anything practical can go in place of a cup holder.
 
Funny you mention that, Gold. At my last job, that's just what we were working on. Your mobile phone is the dash. As soon as it connects with the Bluetooth sensors in the vehicle, the phone became the dash display, showing anything that had a sensor input - speed, rpm, temps and pressures, etc. We had it working for race cars and bikes.
 
It’s a great idea.
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
Green analog clocks for me thanks. Any self respecting "retro" Honda should have GREEN ANALOG CLOCKS!
Im with you Bheezy.
 
Somebody's nightmare:
[ul] [li]Electric cycle (100 mile range)[/li] [li]Feeble LED headlight[/li] [li]Park your 10" iPad on the handlebars and choose the "instrument cluster of the day". Today it is a citrus orange graphic for the speedo, and a grapefruit for the tach.[/li] [li]You grab your helmet from under the seat[/li] [li]Affix your shopping bag to the hook between your legs[/li] [li]Clear the advertising pop-up ads on the iPad[/li] [li]Turn on the "ignition" and grab some "throttle" and a roar emanates from the iPad speakers[/li] [li]... and away you go.
[/li][/ul]
Sleep well my friends.

Copyright © 2020 A HD Company
 
Back
Top