First oil change for this heathen

you picked a good mileage for a heathen to change his oil.

Easy job on this bike, isn't it?
 
What oil did you use?

(I’m trying to start an oil thread for a slow time on the board :D )
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
What oil did you use?

(I’m trying to start an oil thread for a slow time on the board :D )
:rofl:

My last few changes on the CB1100 used 5W40 Rotella T6. It "behaved" (e.g. hot weather clutch action) like Motul 5100/7100, maybe even "better", but for less stash.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
you picked a good mileage for a heathen to change his oil.

Easy job on this bike, isn't it?
Easier than green grass through a goose!
Lord Popgun_imp said:
What oil did you use?

(I’m trying to start an oil thread for a slow time on the board :D )
Haha! The slippery kind?

Actually, the guy I bought the bike from in August had 5 qts of AMSOIL 100% Synthetic Metric Motorcycle Oil 10W-30 and a K&N filter. He was ready for the first change, but never rode it more than 115 miles for whatever reason. He threw it in with the deal.
 
Max logged off so,

There have been many failures of the welds on the nuts. This causes loss of oil. In some cases catastrophically. And not just on this board.

A few of our members have had it happen. Besides oil loss to the engine, the oil can go back under the chassis and get all over the rear wheel. This is BAD. And has happened. So far none of our members went down because of it.
 
koehlerk_imp said:
max_imp said:
Important question; does the k&n filter have a hex nut on the front?
Uh oh...Yes...is that not ok?
Uh oh...Yes...is that not ok?
EDIT: The fact that several of us respond within mintures might be an indicator of what is felt about the issue.

Correct, yes, that is not ok...throw it as far away from your bike as you possibly can. Or better yet, wrap it up in plastic bag and shoot it to outer space.

Or, if you have it installed already, buy a Honda filter soon and replace the K&N filter, as the ones with the hex nut have had issues, oil leakage--catastrophic even. You can reuse your oil, just do the change again with new filter.

These are the types of things that happen when you change oil at mile 666.
 
pdedse_imp said:
koehlerk_imp said:
max_imp said:
Important question; does the k&n filter have a hex nut on the front?
Uh oh...Yes...is that not ok?
Uh oh...Yes...is that not ok?
EDIT: The fact that several of us respond within mintures might be an indicator of what is felt about the issue.

Correct, yes, that is not ok...throw it as far away from your bike as you possibly can. Or better yet, wrap it up in plastic bag and shoot it to outer space.

Or, if you have it installed already, buy a Honda filter soon and replace the K&N filter, as the ones with the hex nut have had issues, oil leakage--catastrophic even. You can reuse your oil, just do the change again with new filter.

These are the types of things that happen when you change oil at mile 666.
:rofl:
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Max logged off so,

There have been many failures of the welds on the nuts. This causes loss of oil. In some cases catastrophically. And not just on this board.

A few of our members have had it happen. Besides oil loss to the engine, the oil can go back under the chassis and get all over the rear wheel. This is BAD. And has happened. So far none of our members went down because of it.
Well dang. Glad I haven't ridden it since the change. Thanks for the heads up!

Is there a technique to take the old filter off and put an OEM on without draining the oil (I'm thinking not unless I can do it on a wheelie, ha!)? Or, should I drain the oil in a clean container, replace filter, then refill oil?

And maybe I should have done the change early at 420. Things would have gone muuuuuch smooother, man.
 
IIRC someone said not that much oil will come out if you just take the filter off. However, I don’t know for sure as I have never done it.

But if you just drain the oil into a clean pan you can put it right back in the engine with no muss, no fuss :D
 
koehlerk_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Max logged off so,

There have been many failures of the welds on the nuts. This causes loss of oil. In some cases catastrophically. And not just on this board.

A few of our members have had it happen. Besides oil loss to the engine, the oil can go back under the chassis and get all over the rear wheel. This is BAD. And has happened. So far none of our members went down because of it.
Well dang. Glad I haven't ridden it since the change. Thanks for the heads up!

Is there a technique to take the old filter off and put an OEM on without draining the oil (I'm thinking not unless I can do it on a wheelie, ha!)? Or, should I drain the oil in a clean container, replace filter, then refill oil?

And maybe I should have done the change early at 420. Things would have gone muuuuuch smooother, man.
While it used to be ilegal in Oregon to change mileage at 420, now, of course, you have that "freedom" to do so.
:cool:

koehlerk_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Max logged off so,

There have been many failures of the welds on the nuts. This causes loss of oil. In some cases catastrophically. And not just on this board.

A few of our members have had it happen. Besides oil loss to the engine, the oil can go back under the chassis and get all over the rear wheel. This is BAD. And has happened. So far none of our members went down because of it.
Well dang. Glad I haven't ridden it since the change. Thanks for the heads up!

Is there a technique to take the old filter off and put an OEM on without draining the oil (I'm thinking not unless I can do it on a wheelie, ha!)? Or, should I drain the oil in a clean container, replace filter, then refill oil?

And maybe I should have done the change early at 420. Things would have gone muuuuuch smooother, man.
Quickly. But it will likely create a bit of mess.

IDK if oil will continue to spew out of filter area once the filter is off, or if it will be just that initial oozing out and then less. I'd probably just drain the oil from below as usual, but into a clean drain pan, change filter and then pour the oil right back into the bike. Just an extra few minutes and likely much cleaner.

EDIT: once again, Lord Popgun, beats me to the punch-line. Why do I even try...the Force is just too strong.
 
From memory the filter is after the oilpump, so although it is below the oil level it is likely not to spill all the oil, just what's in the filter and gallery.
Just clean around the filter, unscrew it and quickly put the new one on, i think you will be ok, just don't use the spilled oil again because of what houtman mentioned.
 
pdedse_imp said:
koehlerk_imp said:
max_imp said:
Important question; does the k&n filter have a hex nut on the front?
Uh oh...Yes...is that not ok?
Uh oh...Yes...is that not ok?
EDIT: The fact that several of us respond within mintures might be an indicator of what is felt about the issue.

Correct, yes, that is not ok...throw it as far away from your bike as you possibly can. Or better yet, wrap it up in plastic bag and shoot it to outer space.

Or, if you have it installed already, buy a Honda filter soon and replace the K&N filter, as the ones with the hex nut have had issues, oil leakage--catastrophic even. You can reuse your oil, just do the change again with new filter.

These are the types of things that happen when you change oil at mile 666.
I can’t recall an occasion when I’ve disagreed with pdedse, but please don’t do this. Sooner or later, some hapless alien will find it, fit it to their motorcycle or space vehicle and come unstuck. Badly. I know. I’ve seen a K&N filter fail.

And the plastic bag will cause additional space pollution.

The best solution for these things is to arrange to throw them in a very high temperature incinerator so all trace of them is destroyed.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
What oil did you use?

(I’m trying to start an oil thread for a slow time on the board :D )
373850cebc7969339f4fd00584e04bb5.gif
....
 
I suggest, if it's not too late, propping the front end of the bike up to cause the oil to flow towards the read of the engine before removing the oil filter. Just roll it up a couple of boards and rest the handlebar against the side of your garage to hold the bike steady.
 
Back
Top