koehlerk_imp
First service completed
Thread starter
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
):rofl:Lord Popgun_imp said:What oil did you use?
(I’m trying to start an oil thread for a slow time on the board)
Easier than green grass through a goose!The ferret_imp said:you picked a good mileage for a heathen to change his oil.
Easy job on this bike, isn't it?
Haha! The slippery kind?Lord Popgun_imp said:What oil did you use?
(I’m trying to start an oil thread for a slow time on the board)
Uh oh...Yes...is that not ok?max_imp said:Important question; does the k&n filter have a hex nut on the front?
Uh oh...Yes...is that not ok?koehlerk_imp said:Uh oh...Yes...is that not ok?max_imp said:Important question; does the k&n filter have a hex nut on the front?
:rofl:pdedse_imp said:Uh oh...Yes...is that not ok?koehlerk_imp said:Uh oh...Yes...is that not ok?max_imp said:Important question; does the k&n filter have a hex nut on the front?
EDIT: The fact that several of us respond within mintures might be an indicator of what is felt about the issue.
Correct, yes, that is not ok...throw it as far away from your bike as you possibly can. Or better yet, wrap it up in plastic bag and shoot it to outer space.
Or, if you have it installed already, buy a Honda filter soon and replace the K&N filter, as the ones with the hex nut have had issues, oil leakage--catastrophic even. You can reuse your oil, just do the change again with new filter.
These are the types of things that happen when you change oil at mile 666.
Well dang. Glad I haven't ridden it since the change. Thanks for the heads up!Lord Popgun_imp said:Max logged off so,
There have been many failures of the welds on the nuts. This causes loss of oil. In some cases catastrophically. And not just on this board.
A few of our members have had it happen. Besides oil loss to the engine, the oil can go back under the chassis and get all over the rear wheel. This is BAD. And has happened. So far none of our members went down because of it.

While it used to be ilegal in Oregon to change mileage at 420, now, of course, you have that "freedom" to do so.koehlerk_imp said:Well dang. Glad I haven't ridden it since the change. Thanks for the heads up!Lord Popgun_imp said:Max logged off so,
There have been many failures of the welds on the nuts. This causes loss of oil. In some cases catastrophically. And not just on this board.
A few of our members have had it happen. Besides oil loss to the engine, the oil can go back under the chassis and get all over the rear wheel. This is BAD. And has happened. So far none of our members went down because of it.
Is there a technique to take the old filter off and put an OEM on without draining the oil (I'm thinking not unless I can do it on a wheelie, ha!)? Or, should I drain the oil in a clean container, replace filter, then refill oil?
And maybe I should have done the change early at 420. Things would have gone muuuuuch smooother, man.

Quickly. But it will likely create a bit of mess.koehlerk_imp said:Well dang. Glad I haven't ridden it since the change. Thanks for the heads up!Lord Popgun_imp said:Max logged off so,
There have been many failures of the welds on the nuts. This causes loss of oil. In some cases catastrophically. And not just on this board.
A few of our members have had it happen. Besides oil loss to the engine, the oil can go back under the chassis and get all over the rear wheel. This is BAD. And has happened. So far none of our members went down because of it.
Is there a technique to take the old filter off and put an OEM on without draining the oil (I'm thinking not unless I can do it on a wheelie, ha!)? Or, should I drain the oil in a clean container, replace filter, then refill oil?
And maybe I should have done the change early at 420. Things would have gone muuuuuch smooother, man.
I can’t recall an occasion when I’ve disagreed with pdedse, but please don’t do this. Sooner or later, some hapless alien will find it, fit it to their motorcycle or space vehicle and come unstuck. Badly. I know. I’ve seen a K&N filter fail.pdedse_imp said:Uh oh...Yes...is that not ok?koehlerk_imp said:Uh oh...Yes...is that not ok?max_imp said:Important question; does the k&n filter have a hex nut on the front?
EDIT: The fact that several of us respond within mintures might be an indicator of what is felt about the issue.
Correct, yes, that is not ok...throw it as far away from your bike as you possibly can. Or better yet, wrap it up in plastic bag and shoot it to outer space.
Or, if you have it installed already, buy a Honda filter soon and replace the K&N filter, as the ones with the hex nut have had issues, oil leakage--catastrophic even. You can reuse your oil, just do the change again with new filter.
These are the types of things that happen when you change oil at mile 666.
Lord Popgun_imp said:What oil did you use?
(I’m trying to start an oil thread for a slow time on the board)
peterbaron_imp said:Lord Popgun_imp said:What oil did you use?
(I’m trying to start an oil thread for a slow time on the board)
....![]()