First Impressions

CB4ME_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I was one of those who didn't notice any performance gains after installing a Staintune exhaust, that is until I added a K&N air filter.

Just what the doctor ordered! Engine response was noticably better. The exhaust note seemed to be a bit deeper too.

If you are running a Staintune exhaust with stock headers and stock air filter, I urge you to give the K&N a try. I'm positive you will notice a difference.

I also added a set of the inexpensive IKON shocks to the bike.On yesterday's ride I was having so much fun exercising the engine that I almost forgot they were there. I must say the IKONs seem to deliver a smoother ride than the stock units. The rear seemed more planted over rough roads and the overall comfort level was improved.

IKONs come with progressive springs made for your weight and riding style, as well as preload and rebound damping adjustments. You can choose between several colors for the springs at no additional cost. Or stick with chrome.

The stock springs are pretty good and you can certainly get better shocks like the Ohlins. But at $380, the IKONs can provide a modest performance and comfort gain without breaking the bank.

Mandatory picture:
c6713694be80dbbd7ebc9988467b3357.jpg
 
Thread starter
The Spaceman_imp said:
Nice shocks. Is red the only color? I like the red BTW, but I think yellow might look cool too.
Spaceman I believe springs do come in yellow, black and other colors - contact tDavid Gardner at ikonusa@gmail.com. If you leave a phone number, expect a call back within a couple days.

Hiker - PCV is on the way. The bike's ECU handled the modest increase in air intake and exhaust afforded by the Staintune and K&N.

I have a TSR air funnel coming tomorrow or Tuesday but want to install the power commander before opening it up any more.
 
Yeah, I just don't like oiled filters when I can stick with a clean disposable filter, I may try the TSR Air Funnel and maybe even a Motogear Ti Header in the spring.....I do have the red body parts like yours now.
I think you'll like the PCV too, it fills in the midrange. Let everyone know.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Yeah, I just don't like oiled filters when I can stick with a clean disposable filter, I may try the TSR Air Funnel and maybe even a Motogear Ti Header in the spring.....I do have the red body parts like yours now.
I think you'll like the PCV too, it fills in the midrange. Let everyone know.
I thought you were supposed to clean the stock filter. Don't they cost about $50? I run the stock one with the Deanohh air funnel.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
Yeah, I just don't like oiled filters when I can stick with a clean disposable filter, I may try the TSR Air Funnel and maybe even a Motogear Ti Header in the spring.....I do have the red body parts like yours now.
I think you'll like the PCV too, it fills in the midrange. Let everyone know.
I thought you were supposed to clean the stock filter. Don't they cost about $50? I run the stock one with the Deanohh air funnel.
I'm pretty sure the stock filter is a paper element (i.e. disposable). The main reason I went with a K&N on the CB750 was to avoid having to buy Honda's high priced replacement filters. It paid for itself in a year. I bought a K&N for the CB11 for the same reason and will probably install it next week. In a dusty desert environment you can go through a lot of expensive replacement filters.
 
K&N filters are not known for high filtration, they are performance filters. They are a fine product but not good in dusty conditions. Do a K&N review search before the swap.
 
Any filter is disposable if you throw it away. Whether paper, composite or whatever it is. I should have said its meant to be cleaned with an air blower and reused at least a few times.
soggybottom_imp said:
K&N filters are not known for high filtration, they are performance filters. They are a fine product but not good in dusty conditions. Do a K&N review search before the swap.
well, now you've done it. Here come the filter wars.
 
That list just keeps getting longer and longer, does't it? :dodgy:
 
soggybottom_imp said:
K&N filters are not known for high filtration, they are performance filters. They are a fine product but not good in dusty conditions. Do a K&N review search before the swap.
According to the oil analysis on several vehicles, I've seen no increase in silicates when switching. YMMV. Proper oiling of the element is key.
 
Dirt bike guys, in Arizona anyway, avoid K&N oiled air filters. I think it's a bit strange as the oiled foam air filters seem to be OK.

I used a K&N in Minnesota; seemed to keep out dead bug parts just fine. :)
 
I always switch to a Uni, K&N comes out with stuff 1st though. I'm a dirtbiker and I'm not a K&N fan, but the stocker is more of a plug than a filter. I'll get a Uni as soon as they come out.
 
This is an example of the rare and elusive 'oil and air' combination thread. Highly combustible. Begs the question...synthetic or Dino for the K&N?
 
Thread starter
Dust is seasonal in my neck of the woods. I have to ride 2 miles of dirt road every trip on the bike, so the K&N in dusty conditions is a concern.

Simple 5 minute solution - swap out the K&N for the stock air filter during the dusty summer months, usually mid-July into early September when our cars stay covered in dust.
 
Capo_imp said:
This is an example of the rare and elusive 'oil and air' combination thread. Highly combustible. Begs the question...synthetic or Dino for the K&N?

In Freehold I used 10/30 in the K&N's but here in AZ it requires 20/50:hello:
 
soggybottom_imp said:
Capo_imp said:
This is an example of the rare and elusive 'oil and air' combination thread. Highly combustible. Begs the question...synthetic or Dino for the K&N?

In Freehold I used 10/30 in the K&N's but here in AZ it requires 20/50:hello:

In Freehold I used 10/30 in the K&N's but here in AZ it requires 20/50:hello:
Soggy, you no doubt then changed to a single grade oil when riding from Freehold to Belmar in order to compensate for the sea air density and salt content. 😈
 
Back
Top