First hundred mile ride

BikerBob_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Did my first 100+ mile ride today on my new '14 Deluxe. Added a Comet 2 fairing, Superbrace, Engine Guards and the RLET's. Really enjoy the bike. Fairing cuts enough wind to make freeway riding less tired some. The Superbrace makes the front end a little more planted .... Dragged the pegs a few times without really trying.

Have the Chic Design short front and rear but going to wait for the K and H single seat to be available. Apparently there is a difference between the 2013 and 2014 seat.

Got home and decided to take out my heavily mod'ed and cafe'ed Triumph Bonneville. Love both bikes but completely different rides. CB is smooth as glass and the Bonnevile is raw and rugged.

Here is a couple photos.
 
Sounds good, Bob. Not sure what happened to the photos, but I'm blowed if I can see them.
 
I Think Pterodactyl is messing with us. ;) I don't see any pics either.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
wow, dragged pegs, I have yet to do that...but my rear tire chicken strips are down to a few mm's.
A couple of guys have reported dragging pegs. Me, I like to avoid carrying that much speed into a curve where I need that kind of a lean angle. Maybe I'm just trying to be safe or maybe I'm just a sissy:D
 
Novice_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
wow, dragged pegs, I have yet to do that...but my rear tire chicken strips are down to a few mm's.
A couple of guys have reported dragging pegs. Me, I like to avoid carrying that much speed into a curve where I need that kind of a lean angle. Maybe I'm just trying to be safe or maybe I'm just a sissy:D
A couple of guys have reported dragging pegs. Me, I like to avoid carrying that much speed into a curve where I need that kind of a lean angle. Maybe I'm just trying to be safe or maybe I'm just a sissy:D
No you're not. Ride in your comfort zone. Don't get out of bed one morning and say "I think I'll put the pegs down today". It's your bike, your life. Stuff what anyone else does. If you want to push the envelope then do it in such a way that your comfort zone expands. Rider courses, study technique, work hard on it and up to it etc. Better qualified people than me can tell, and show, you how.

Cheers mate.
 
I have a Triumph America that I have 35K miles on and all along thought was smooth. After about 1K on the CB I took the America for a spin. I thought what the heck happened here? Raw and rugged is a good way of putting what I felt. Rumbles through the pegs and bars that I never noticed.

The America is a keeper but the CB is a pleasure
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Novice_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
wow, dragged pegs, I have yet to do that...but my rear tire chicken strips are down to a few mm's.
A couple of guys have reported dragging pegs. Me, I like to avoid carrying that much speed into a curve where I need that kind of a lean angle. Maybe I'm just trying to be safe or maybe I'm just a sissy:D
A couple of guys have reported dragging pegs. Me, I like to avoid carrying that much speed into a curve where I need that kind of a lean angle. Maybe I'm just trying to be safe or maybe I'm just a sissy:D
No you're not. Ride in your comfort zone. Don't get out of bed one morning and say "I think I'll put the pegs down today". It's your bike, your life. Stuff what anyone else does. If you want to push the envelope then do it in such a way that your comfort zone expands. Rider courses, study technique, work hard on it and up to it etc. Better qualified people than me can tell, and show, you how.

Cheers mate.
A couple of guys have reported dragging pegs. Me, I like to avoid carrying that much speed into a curve where I need that kind of a lean angle. Maybe I'm just trying to be safe or maybe I'm just a sissy:D
No you're not. Ride in your comfort zone. Don't get out of bed one morning and say "I think I'll put the pegs down today". It's your bike, your life. Stuff what anyone else does. If you want to push the envelope then do it in such a way that your comfort zone expands. Rider courses, study technique, work hard on it and up to it etc. Better qualified people than me can tell, and show, you how.

Cheers mate. Agreed, ride at your own pace.

I have taken some real hard off & on ramp turns and I'm yet to touch a footpeg feeler. I've tried to force the bike over still have hit nothing. Bike has great clearance.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
wow, dragged pegs, I have yet to do that...but my rear tire chicken strips are down to a few mm's.
I am trying to start a movement to refer to them as "Safety Strips".

Glad you enjoyed your ride, BikerBob.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
wow, dragged pegs, I have yet to do that...but my rear tire chicken strips are down to a few mm's.
I am trying to start a movement to refer to them as "Safety Strips".

Glad you enjoyed your ride, BikerBob.
I am trying to start a movement to refer to them as "Safety Strips".

Glad you enjoyed your ride, BikerBob.
I'm in.
 
Maybe its the heavier guys touching their pegs down.....something to do with the suspension being more compressed and lower to the ground.....must be it.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Maybe its the heavier guys touching their pegs down.....something to do with the suspension being more compressed and lower to the ground.....must be it.
No mate, I know your joshing, but it's lean angle. Granted, there is some effect from rider weight and suspension setup, as is there from C of G shift due to deceleration or acceleration. However you would need to be one big gorilla for the hero pegs to be constantly touching down. I weigh 83kgs plus leathers and often carry 30+kgs on the rack. All up 240+lbs and I still have to work hard to put the pegs down. My boot toes normally touch first and that's when I know I've had enough. For starters it's hard on the boots :). And before anyone tells me I should have my toes back on the rests I'll just 'fess up and admit it's my bad technique. I'm in my 70th year and still working on it. Sometimes I get it right.

Building a little on my previous post, and please humour me by reading on, I am deluded enough to think its important. A good proportion of "single vehicle" motorcycle accidents occur on group rides and are the direct result of a rider following another, faster rider, into a corner at an inappropriate speed for their own skill level. Some of these "single vehicle" accidents are caused by the expectations of the group pushing a rider to the edge and sometimes, tragically, through the boundaries of their own skill set. It may not sit well with the ego but faster does not always mean better. I say again, stuff them, ride within your own comfort zone and not someone else's. As an older rider who has not entirely escaped adolescence I need to be especially careful in this regard. Others like me should take heed also. By the way, I am sure most have anyway, so I don't pretend to be preaching from on high. I must recognise that my reflexes, eyesight and general mental processes are not to the standard of some of the younger blokes I ride with. You know, those with feline reflexes and wouldbe candidates for Top Gun school (settle down Cormanus, I am not referring to you :)). I often have to force myself to steady on and ride at my own senile doddering pace. But I do get there and as the sun goes down and we relive the days ride over a few beverages well, sorry boys, you have to recognise seniority, sit quietly, and bear with me. After all, "The older I get, the better I was".

Cheers all, and ride safely.
 
Bugger me! It's the right way up on the computer and upside down on the phone. How's this one?

 
It's only upside down for us on the proper side of the Earth. :angel:



(kidding, looks just fine :) )
 
I say amen to that. I had my fill of racing and track days, gave up riding altogether due to young family and budget constraints in the early 90's. Found Riding again through cruisers and then dirt bikes (had not given them a thought since my teens). Got a dual sport five years ago and loved it. Saw a "preview" of the cb1100 a few years ago and said when it is released here I want one. It is all about enjoying the ride now. I am only 54 but I no longer feel the need to prove my fastness.
 
Back
Top