First Gear heated jacket liner

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Ok today I went ahead and bit the bullet buying my first heated gear. Rode out to Sportour in Cinti and they had a good display of the First Gear aka Warm n Safe heated gear. I looked at jacket liners, gloves, and glove liners. They had a nice set up for testing and I tried on a jacket liner first. They plugged me in and man did it heat up nicely. Then I tried the gloves, and although they also heated up nicely, it was a real cluster f to get them tucked either into or over my riding coat. Then I tried the glove liners, again nice heat, but I couldn't get my regular riding gloves on over them.

So... I bought the jacket liner, a dual controller ( in case I do buy gloves or liners or pants in the future) and an adapter that runs from the controller to the battery tender plug on my bike.

All totaled it ran just under $ 300

Will have to wait until a nice frosty day for a ride report as this week we are in the 50s to 60s, and the electrics aren't needed in that range.
 
I have the first gear jacket liner, pant liner, socks, and gloves. Only was able to ride once this week in cool weather. But it kept me nice and toasty.
 
I have HD brand heated gloves in Georgia...
and like them a lot. My hands
are usually the first body part to feel the cold.
 
Rode 30 miles across the bay to watch a movie with the family (I met them there). The cold gear made me feel just tosty the entire ride. On the way home temp was 33*. I had my heat control less than half and still felt fine. Inner thighs got cold because I was riding with the highway pegs but still comfortable. I would reccomend anyone who wants to ride in the winter to get a set. I doubt i would ride in snow due to the ice, but we dont get snow often. Maybe once every 10 years. Felt great to get out and ride today.
 
Roughly 20 miles to work this morning with the temps at 26* per Weather Channel. Worse part of the ride was walking form my house to workshop to get the bike. Once plugged into heated controller i was nice and tosty. Now to find a helmet that doesnt fog......
 
kenfyoozed_imp said:
Roughly 20 miles to work this morning with the temps at 26* per Weather Channel. Worse part of the ride was walking form my house to workshop to get the bike. Once plugged into heated controller i was nice and tosty. Now to find a helmet that doesnt fog......
Pinlock compatible shield stops the fogging, amazing how well it works.
 
Im looking into that right now. But it seems only a few brands of helmets are compatible. None that are were on my radar that i was looking for.
 
Thread starter
I wear a balaclava and keep shield cracked open a hair
 
Thats what I have been doing as well, but still getting some fogging and cold stinging to the eye area. Not intolerable but if I can improve, why not?
 
Thread starter
Sure, I agree. They do make liquids you can rub on your shield called anti- fog, but I hate puting anything but clean water on my face shields
 
Anyone using Venture heated gear? It appears to be a little less expensive and the jacket liner and pants comes with the controller.
I've looked at First Gear and Tour Master. While I'm waiting I ordered a pair of snow pants to try for the time being. My Tour Master jacket does good, but my upper thighs get cold. Would love the glove liners, jacket liner and pants liner.
 
I also have the First Gear liner and gloves for about 5 years now and they work great. Our winters here in the upstate of South Carolina while rarely snowy are quite cool. Today for example [ Dec 27 ] was low 24 and 55 high. I have been on the road many times with the temp in the mid 20s and was warm, my other bikes are/were water cooled and the heat off the radiator kept my legs and feet comfortable. The CB isn't too bad keeping my feet warm, the oil cooler seems to direct enough heat down that at least they're not too cold. One problem I've had is current draw, the liner and gloves are OK but when I turn on the grip heaters it's too much. Couple weeks ago I rode with all turned on and when I went to start the bike the next morning, the battery was too low to start it. Since then I've installed the Kuryakyn led battery gauge and can moniter what I'm using from the alternator. Wife has a Gerbing liner but won't be able to use it on the CB with me. I'm going to buy her one of those battery powered jackets and with her being out of the wind I think she'll be fine. Will let you know.
 
Thread starter
Gingersdaddy, a good pair of riding overpants will kerp your thighs warm. They can be had reasonably. I just saw some on sale at motorcyclegear.com. I have the Fieldsheer overpants with full length side zippers and they go on and off over jeans and riding boots in seconds.

The first gear jkt liner and glove liners keep my torso and fingers warm. I rode 115 miles today,many with the electrics turned off and the temp hovered around 40
 
Thanks Ferret,
I finally got me a pair of over pants and they work great along with my heated glove liners, still have not bought me the jacket liner yet.
I think the only heated gear I'll need is the heated jacket liner and glove liner. The glove liners draw 2 amps and I think the jacket liner specs were 8 or 9 amps so there should not be any issues with the charging system on the CB.
 
Back
Top