Filling up! Shed some light for a n00b

holy666diver_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Brand new rider to the cb1100. Previous bikes were cruisers. I'm a little over 100 miles in on my new '14 cb1100 and i notices gas nozzles won't fit in the gas tank. the nozzle goes about half way in and hits metal. I need to pull on the rubber stopper on the nozzle to get the gas to fill. Is this normal? My other bikes the nozzle fit all the way in
 
The fill hole is dead center where the frame meets the tank, I push the nozzle off to the side or just hold up the rubber stopper and watch the fuel level.
 
I was trying to figure out what the issue was, then I noticed you were in California. The land of gas pump gaiters (i.e. vapor recovery boots).

We used to have those here in AZ, but even the EPA doesn't require them anymore.

I was in CA a few months ago and got to reminisce at the gas station :( . If I put the nozzle to the side it will go in, but it's so far down in the tank when the accordion compresses far enough, the auto-shutoff activates while it's still a gallon short of full.

I'm afraid the best way to deal with these things are to grab hold of the boot, pull back and fill (then go wash your stinky hands :dodgy: ).
 
Thanks for that explanation, Flynrider. I was about to ask what on earth was going on. No such thing down here. Yet. :(
 
Been all over the US and only place I found them was in California in June. Had no idea how to use them. That was weird.
 
Yeah...just two hand it and hold the nozzle up far enough to fill the tank. Just make sure to fill it slowly or you will splatter gas all over the place.
 
We've had those gaiter pump nozzles here in Joisey for decades. It's a real PITA for the gas tank caps that stay on and just pivot up 90 degrees. Tight fit there for the nozzle and your hand.

And remember don't try to stuff every last drop you can into the tank. That's when all of a sudden the gas leaps out in a geyser and runs down the outside of your nice tank. And the owners manuals say don't fill it all that high anyway.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Thanks for that explanation, Flynrider. I was about to ask what on earth was going on. No such thing down here. Yet. :(
Yes, thanks Flynrider. Here I was thinking - does this bloke actually have a CB? Is he hallucinating? But now the penny has dropped.

Yet? No. Please. No!

Cheers
 
I don't think you have to worry about them showing up down under. They've actually disappeared from most U.S. pumps over the last several years (except in California).

As it happens, the vapor recovery system that is standard in a car's fuel system does just as good a job at capturing fuel vapors. Accordingly, the EPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency) has been dropping the requirements for pumps to have recovery systems.

The old system looks like this :

af0b1e09f113c3e6b27032d530c36595.png


Current requirements in densely populated areas are that the pump have a much less complicated collar that seals the tank while fueling. Looks like this :

 
There is a little plate with a slot you can buy that holds the gaiter back so you have both hands free and can see what you are doing.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
We've had those gaiter pump nozzles here in Joisey for decades. It's a real PITA for the gas tank caps that stay on and just pivot up 90 degrees. Tight fit there for the nozzle and your hand.

And remember don't try to stuff every last drop you can into the tank. That's when all of a sudden the gas leaps out in a geyser and runs down the outside of your nice tank. And the owners manuals say don't fill it all that high anyway.
Good advice. A little too late for me, but maybe it will save someone the embarrassment of standing at the pump watching the gas run down the tank and onto a hot engine while you frantically grab paper towels.
 
I usually grab a paper towel first, then get the pump nozzle with the towel below it. When you turn the gas pump on, sometimes access comes out. I put the pump nozzle angled off to one side of the tank, about 2 inches deep inside the tank with the towel handy in the event of a splash.


Oh my god, did I really just read that the way I wrote it? :huh:
 
Honestly, I wish dealers would take a few minutes to show new riders how to fill their tanks. I learned the hard way with my 11 Bonneville. First fill, stuff the nozzle in the tank and start pumping thinking the auto shut off will kick in. Get a tap on my shoulder as gas is pouring out the tank filler neck all over my freshly detailed bike and hot motor. Disaster waiting to happen. Learned a valuable lesson that day. Went home and washed the bike with soap and water and no harm no foul.

Two bits of advice for newbs when filling up. Stick the nozzle in the tank just past the air holes located on the nozzle. You will have to hold the nozzle while filling. Fill slowly and do not top off. Fuel shut off will work but do not trust it. Most fills on my CB are right at about 2.8 - 3.0 gal. Another option is to purchase an McCuff fuel filler cuff. This works all the time and will prevent fuel overflowing the tank. Great aftermarket accessory.
 
Kai Ju...I noticed that this is your first post, would you mind telling me how you found the forum? Are you a CB 1100 owner or interested in one?


Im going to let the ADM make the call on whether to delete your post, as it is self serving, but on the other hand it may really help those where these recovery pumps are in vogue, and I doubt that you are getting rich on these lol. Pretty trick little tool you came up with.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Kai Ju...I noticed that this is your first post, would you mind telling me how you found the forum? Are you a CB 1100 owner or interested in one?


Im going to let the ADM make the call on whether to delete your post, as it is self serving, but on the other hand it may really help those where these recovery pumps are in vogue, and I doubt that you are getting rich on these lol. Pretty trick little tool you came up with.
Hi Ferret, I'll be getting my CB1100 this week. Sold my BMW to buy the Honda.
And you're right, I'm not getting rich off these,but they sure are handy for those of us stuck with these nozzles. If you guys have a vendor section I'd rather post there which is what I did on ADV Rider. Just let me know what I need to do to not step on toes.
 
Sounds good. I sent a PM to Guth and he will probably tell you what he wants done, or will tell me and I will tell you.

Congrats on your CB and we look forward to your participation on the forum, with pics of course.

Which iteration of the CB did you get? 13, 14 std or 14 dlx?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Sounds good. I sent a PM to Guth and he will probably tell you what he wants done, or will tell me and I will tell you.

Congrats on your CB and we look forward to your participation on the forum, with pics of course.

Which iteration of the CB did you get? 13, 14 std or 14 dlx?
2013, used, very low miles. Completely stock. For now anyway...
 
Cool... Lots of ideas for mods on this board from mild to wild.


A new forum member has come up with a nifty tool which may help those who have to use the Evaporative Recovery fuel pumps. We are hoping he becomes our newest Forum
 
Thread starter
This is my first bike with a center fill. My old shadow had the filler on the side of the tank so the nozzle went all the way in.
 
Back
Top