ferret down

The ferret_imp said:
I've been meaning to look for that Liv Relief since you mentioned it last time.

Went to ortho doc for x-rays and exam this morning. All good news. Elbow is healing well. I have to stay in the sling for 2 more weeks but need to start lightly stretching and twisting the arm. Supposed to switch from doing ice packs to doing heat packs 3 times a day. After 2 weeks I can start pushing the arm, lifting etc. Should be good to go for Men's Fall Trip. Have appt for exam and x-rays Friday before the trip just to make sure.
:biker: :thumbsup: :banana: :beerchug: :clap: :celebrate: :excited: :biker:

:rofl: I crack myself up :rofl:
 
Thread starter
:rofl: yea that's what I heard too.
 
Thread starter
poastoak, the microscopic colitis is a life long thing and not really sure how it will affect riding in the future. It may affect traveling long distance, but not local riding/day rides. I just don't know. It is better at times and worse at times. when it's bad you don't want to be on a motorcycle lol. For now it's a minor issue.

Knees and elbows are the issue that may affect me immediately, and in the future. I am hoping they heal properly (elbow seems to be, but right knee is having some issues sporadically) and allow me to continue riding until at least 70. Which has always been my goal. If I am still riding at 70 and feel good physically and mentally, I will keep riding of course.
 
I am only 3-4 months from 70. I feel young and am in good health right now except for hearing loss, which doesn't affect my riding.
 
Thread starter
Maybe you will be like Rocky and keep riding into your 80's in good health. I hope so.
 
The ferret_imp said:
poastoak, the microscopic colitis is a life long thing and not really sure how it will affect riding in the future. It may affect traveling long distance, but not local riding/day rides. I just don't know. It is better at times and worse at times. when it's bad you don't want to be on a motorcycle lol. For now it's a minor issue.

Knees and elbows are the issue that may affect me immediately, and in the future. I am hoping they heal properly (elbow seems to be, but right knee is having some issues sporadically) and allow me to continue riding until at least 70. Which has always been my goal. If I am still riding at 70 and feel good physically and mentally, I will keep riding of course.
I applaud your attitude!
I made it past 71 1/2!
 
Thread starter
as Doc experienced recently we never know what life and fate has in store for us. We always hope for good health, because without it quality of life stinks.

Doc, I salute you, and feel sorry that it had to end for you, but I understand. I trust you loved every minute of it.

I'm a couple years behind you, started street riding in 1965 so this is my 53rd year (1 accident in 1969 and 1 tip over ..recently ha ha). I'd like to see 55 years on 2 wheels, but if it's not to be, I have had a GREAT motorcycling life. Owned 30 great motorcycles from 8 different manufacturers, American, British, Japanese,and Italian . Singles, twins..(V and parallel), triples, fours .... (inline and Vs), liquid cooled, air cooled, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, kick start, electric start, left shift, right shift, hand shift, chain, belt and shaft drive, automatics, 3 speeds, 4 speeds, 5 speeds and 6 speeds, and I've had the pleasure of riding hundreds more. My wife and I have toured 42 states, 2 Canadian provinces and 5 countries in Europe. Ridden most of the big name motorcycle roads and attractions in this country, and ridden a BMW in the Alps (a dream since I was a kid) plus had fun racing motocross for 10 years.. No complaints, no regrets here. It's been an absolute blast,and a life time of joy. Nobody likes riding motorcycles more than I do. Nobody. Will continue as long as I am able.
 
Thread starter
Well there are literally tens of thousands of motorcyclists who could virtually mirror my experiences with motorcycles, and some that would put me to shame. There are some real motorcycle nuts in this country (I know a few). Enthusiasts with great collections of bikes, that spend the vast majority of their awake time thinking about, dreaming about, and riding motorcycles and riding them to interesting places.Guys that ride day and night, through all weather conditions, who live for motorcycling. Guys who ride 50-60,000 miles per year. Guys who will hear about a good restaurant on the other side of the country, and then ride there to see if it's as good as people say.

Motorcycle entusiasts are passionate people.
 
We have to adapt. In the 70's I raced sports cars, a Triumph TR3, and motorcycles, a CB 750 and a Norton. I now have a CB 1100 and a C5 Corvette in the garage, and have had a Ferrari and various "superbikes" along the way. I am now 76 and recognize that the future is with the Corvette. I miss the old days, and I want to enjoy many more. No more mountain bike rides, and no more crotch rockets. Know your limitations and enjoy what you can.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Blockhead..thanks and ... no idea. The knees were fine the day of the fall, the following day and the day after that. The morning after that I woke up in excruciating pain and couldn't walk, couldn't stand, couldn't bend my knees. We went to ER, wife pushed me in in a wheel chair . They x-rayed both knees and declared nothing wrong, gave me a script for pain, and then helped lift me back in the car for the ride home. Got an emergency appt with the family ortho knee guy a two days later. Again wife pushed me in in a wheel chair. He said sometimes the body reacts to trauma with a " gout like" response ie: extreme pain and not like to be bent or touched. He drained fluid off the left knee, gave me cortisone shots in both knees and a script for gout. The left knee (which was actually the worst) is now doing pretty good, but the right is lagging behind a bit, but seems to be getting better every day. I was having to sorta turn my right foot to the right and drag it across the floor to step forward, now it is bending a bit and my right step is closer to normal... just not there yet.

Have appt with ortho elbow guy Friday for more xrays.

Crazy how badly you can be hurt just falling over at a stop.

Ferret, about 9 years ago I had been on a dresser Harley ex cop bike. We had rode 600 miles that day. Went to a meeting after the ride. So we were pretty tired. I was with 2 other Harley’s. Both of them riding 2 up. As we took off to go to our room. My one friend took off, I started out slowly, At the same time my other “ friend “ launched directly in my path, I tapped the front brake , the front wheel was in the gutter heading to the street.... and bam down I went in slow motion but quickly at the same time. My left foot/heel was caught on the saddle bag ... I broke my ankle ouch! Circular fracture and fractured tibia! 10 weeks out of work. At least no metal or surgery needed. It still clicks and bugs me. So I totally understand the slow moving tip over! It sucks, get well soon.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Thanks Dsan. THe arm is healing pretty well I think. For some reason my right knee is giving me fits. It locked up again Saturday, and I could not bend, it, straighten it, or put weight on it without extreme pain. Going to get an MRI on it and see if anything shows up. AF far as I know, my knees were not injured in the fall itself, so I have no idea what is going on. I am just less than 3 weeks post fall at this point, so know I have a few more weeks to go before I can ride again, but man it's killing me just sitting around.

Emulick at 76 if you are still riding at all you have my utmost admiration. Doubt that I will make 76 on 2 wheels, but we will see. A corvette doesn't sound like a bad substitute to me lol
 
Ferret, Paul Macartney is still making music at 76. Surely you’ll still be riding a bike!
 
It's natural response to feel down while healing from an injury that keeps you from enjoying life. You will get better and you will be riding again, sooner than you think. And you have plenty of years riding left in you. I just turned 70 last spring but, God willing, plan to keep riding for as long as I'm able.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Ferret, Paul Macartney is still making music at 76. Surely you’ll still be riding a bike!
Mick Jagger is still singing and running on stage at the same time and he is 75 , and doing a GREAT job !
 
Rocky is 81 and still riding his CB :thumbsup:
"As I approach age 81 I never felt better and am blessed with good health, strength and stamina - and loving my CB1100!"
:)
 
Back
Top