ferret down

Best to you for recovery!
 
Sorry for the late reply .. hoping your elbow is healing up into riding shape..i know not riding everyday would be tough on me .... must be really tough on you!

i marvel at the iron man attempt to put the bike in the wind and get her home. About a week and a half ago i developed a really bad pain /discomfort in my right side at work right before cut off time. By the time i was set to leave it was bad getting worse . I got on the bike and headed towards the house for my 40 mile commute through south Atlanta and home. By about halfway home i was riding almost doubled over and just praying for traffic to keep the wheels spinning so i could get finish this ride from he**.
Comical in retrospect, got 3 miles from the house on a little back road 2 lane and the Nausea / heat / stress or whatever made it inevitable that i was going to hurl... no turn in or place to pull over .. was running about 50 so all i could do was roll off the throttle and turn my head / push my helmet up and let her go . i have come to find out that vomiting at 50 mph on a motorcycle is a definite skill set that i do not want to practice further. I made every attempt to make it look cool, but i am fairly certain i did not pull that off

Got home and was forced to go to the ER by the wife .. turned out to be a 4mm kidney stone .. never had one before. Don't ever want one again. Broke my streak of no doctor visits in the last decade.

Cannot imagine how bad that elbow and whole left side must have been throbbing while you were riding it out . Please get better soon .. like others i will be logging some extra miles to take up the slack!!!
 
Thread starter
lol hey Bigsky, I can relate. I know EXACTLY what you were going thru

another ferret iron man ( ie foolish) tale you might enjoy (and commiserate with)

Rough ride and night last night.

btw on all trips now I carry kidney pain and nausea and flow medicine just in case

sometimes I think back about the stupid things I've done on a motorcycle and just shake my head.
 
The ferret_imp said:
lol hey Bigsky, I can relate. I know EXACTLY what you were going thru

another ferret iron man ( ie foolish) tale you might enjoy (and commiserate with)

Rough ride and night last night.

btw on all trips now I carry kidney pain and nausea and flow medicine just in case

sometimes I think back about the stupid things I've done on a motorcycle and just shake my head.
Just read it .... boy that sounds familiar . " Just a few more miles " ... LOL.. i think i was grunting that under my breath for about 35 of the 40 miles going home. All i could think about was the hassle of leaving the bike somewhere ..

absolutely agree ...not a good decision on my part to ride in that condition , even though the caveman in me is whispering in my head right now that i did make it home ok.
 
Thread starter
Hey David...long time no talk to. Missed you at the KY rally. Hope things are well.
 
Mickey - things are good here. Just busy. Wish I could point to one thing - it's like a dozen - but all good. Kid stuff, visiting relatives, looking at a potential vacation home, etc. Kills the riding time. I'll make the next rally.
 
Thread starter
Well by the time I finish typing this, it will be 2 weeks to the minute sine my mishap.

Time drags along slowly during the healing process. Pain is a constant reminder of doing something against the wishes of your body. Sleep comes hard at night when everything is dark and quiet. Trying to make do without narcotic pain meds and cant take regular pain meds due to my colitis, so it's mainly tough it out. I use ice packs on my left elbow, left wrist and both knees 3x days. They say it helps with pain & swelling. Not sure I notice any pain relief. The swelling is gone as far as I can tell. Under doctors orders I have been using my right arm to excercise the left. Up, down, wiggle the finger tips. I think that is going well. No lifting, pulling or pushing, or twisting. I can tell my left wrist was injured. It feels very weak. Knees have come a long way in the last week. More bend, smoother gait in the left, I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Been thinking about going to the garage and just sitting on the ATV for awhile. Assuming the riding position, knowing I can't fall over.

I really miss riding.
 
Ferret,
If you can still not sleep try to hear to a audiobook.
That’s what I do while having pains. It works for me since
1996…
Get well soon, greetings from Germany, Markus.
 
Thread starter
Blockhead..thanks and ... no idea. The knees were fine the day of the fall, the following day and the day after that. The morning after that I woke up in excruciating pain and couldn't walk, couldn't stand, couldn't bend my knees. We went to ER, wife pushed me in in a wheel chair . They x-rayed both knees and declared nothing wrong, gave me a script for pain, and then helped lift me back in the car for the ride home. Got an emergency appt with the family ortho knee guy a two days later. Again wife pushed me in in a wheel chair. He said sometimes the body reacts to trauma with a " gout like" response ie: extreme pain and not like to be bent or touched. He drained fluid off the left knee, gave me cortisone shots in both knees and a script for gout. The left knee (which was actually the worst) is now doing pretty good, but the right is lagging behind a bit, but seems to be getting better every day. I was having to sorta turn my right foot to the right and drag it across the floor to step forward, now it is bending a bit and my right step is closer to normal... just not there yet.

Have appt with ortho elbow guy Friday for more xrays.

Crazy how badly you can be hurt just falling over at a stop.
 
That’s crazy, geez! As a gout sufferer over the years I’m very familiar with trauma triggering an attack. I take a low dose daily med (allopurinol) to prevent it and haven’t had a flare up in years.
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
I hope you continue to get a little better each day!! It is indeed amazing the amount of pain and how the body reacts.
you too Josh. Are you healing up ok?
 
Hope you two get feeling better soon. I'm sad for you but I'm glad I can't imagine what you're going through.

Like someone else said having the ferret down is almost unbelievable.... kind of like having the Fonz down.
 
I messed up my right knee kneeling on the tile floor in the kitchen replacing a stove element. Found a product called Liv Relief in Walmart. It is a cream that you massage into the area until it disappears. Relieved the pain for me and let me sleep.

It took month to get rid of all the pain in the knee. Still had a twinge when I tried to step over something as high as my knee, or tried to move something aside with my right foot. But I kept gently stretching until both those twinges disappeared.

Now my only problem is sitting in car for a long ride. My knees feel a little wobbly until I walk a bit.

I just hope I will be able to walk for 45 minutes each day on the local nature this winter. I need the exercise, sunlight and fresh air to keep my Seasonal Affected Disorder from giving me the winter blues.
 
Thread starter
I've been meaning to look for that Liv Relief since you mentioned it last time.

Went to ortho doc for x-rays and exam this morning. All good news. Elbow is healing well. I have to stay in the sling for 2 more weeks but need to start lightly stretching and twisting the arm. Supposed to switch from doing ice packs to doing heat packs 3 times a day. After 2 weeks I can start pushing the arm, lifting etc. Should be good to go for Men's Fall Trip. Have appt for exam and x-rays Friday before the trip just to make sure.
 
Back
Top