Farklin the Fourteen

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Ok had the bike 1 whole day, time to commence farklin

Farkle #1 was the rubber bar end thingies put on at the shop



along with the Progrip 719 Gel Grips

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/april6013_zps107c3308.jpg.html]

next up was removing the curb feelers from the footpegs *Note the size of the side stand pad behind the peg...are the 13's that large? It looks like a ducks foot!

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/april6006_zps532c340c.jpg.html]

Next came my helmet guardian for locking my helmet to the bike

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/april6009_zpsd29689be.jpg.html]

after checking tire pressure I added my knurled aluminum valve stem caps

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/april6021_zps0122e86e.jpg.html]

next up was addressing the inadequacies in the tool kit with enough tools to adjust the rear shock and adjust the chain out on the road along with a spare fuse for my battery tender jr, a shop towel and some rubber gloves

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/april6016_zps1892a069.jpg.html]

on top of that went a road size can of chain lube for trips

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/april6017_zpsde75ab26.jpg.html]

I put some sticky backed felt under on the top tree to protect it from a dangling key

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/april6012_zpsd1b74ab4.jpg.html]

finally off came the tank stickers
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/april6010_zpscc4214d9.jpg.html]

Have several things yet to do that I can think of, putting some 3M clear on the tank in spots which may get scuffed by my jacket or tank bag, install the Kaw W 650 fork gaiters which aren't in yet, and putting on my battery tender pigtail which I will get to this coming week. Oh and installing the brackets for the NC Street Shield EX for when I take trips, but that might not happen until closer to fall.

Coming along nicely though
 
Ferret, yes that side stand foot looks very different from the 13's. The '13 foot is a small rounded, rectangular shape not much larger than the shaft itself. The new one looks like a good redesign.
 
Thread starter
That's what I thought Scooby.. another change for the 14"s from the 13's. Wonder if the black std gets this side stand or if they put that big pad on because the 14 dlx leans over further due to the increased ground clearance?

MFGUSA? what does your side stand pad look like?
 
The ferret_imp said:
That's what I thought Scooby.. another change for the 14"s from the 13's. Wonder if the black std gets this side stand or if they put that big pad on because the 14 dlx leans over further due to the increased ground clearance?

MFGUSA? what does your side stand pad look like?

Black 14 has the new sidestand as well.
 
The ferret_imp said:
That's what I thought Scooby.. another change for the 14"s from the 13's. Wonder if the black std gets this side stand or if they put that big pad on because the 14 dlx leans over further due to the increased ground clearance?

MFGUSA? what does your side stand pad look like?
Looks the same. I thought it was kind of Odd but I've been w/o a center stand for some time so what do I know.

Is it a challenge to pull up on the stand?
 
Thread starter
jchoby..just got in from a ride. cool but nice. lots of bikes out.

MFG.. it's not hard technique is more important than strength.
 
The ferret_imp said:
That's what I thought Scooby.. another change for the 14"s from the 13's. Wonder if the black std gets this side stand or if they put that big pad on because the 14 dlx leans over further due to the increased ground clearance?

MFGUSA? what does your side stand pad look like?
I was guessing that the increased ground clearance on the DLX is due to using two smaller catalytic converters instead of one larger unit (as opposed to the frame sitting up higher off of the ground). Does it feel or look like the 14 leans over further?
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
I like the new side stand. Wonder if that will fit the '13 model?
Well, the way things have been going probably not

Guth_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
That's what I thought Scooby.. another change for the 14"s from the 13's. Wonder if the black std gets this side stand or if they put that big pad on because the 14 dlx leans over further due to the increased ground clearance?

MFGUSA? what does your side stand pad look like?
I was guessing that the increased ground clearance on the DLX is due to using two smaller catalytic converters instead of one larger unit (as opposed to the frame sitting up higher off of the ground). Does it feel or look like the 14 leans over further?
I was guessing that the increased ground clearance on the DLX is due to using two smaller catalytic converters instead of one larger unit (as opposed to the frame sitting up higher off of the ground). Does it feel or look like the 14 leans over further?
Don't know Guth, seat sits taller, little harder to pick up off the side stand. You may be right though about the cat thing. I'm still pondering the difference in rear shock travel and why the deluxe has 2 different front fork springs and a different amount of oil per leg.

what does it all mean :huh:
newhemi_imp said:
Ferret, where did you get your license plate frame, like that little add on.
Are you taking about the Helmet Guardian thing or the chrome plate frame from the dealership?

If talking about the Helmet Guardian

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/helmet-guardian-black
 
Your bike is looking good Ferret. I've bought a set of those Progrip 719's. Will put them on tomorrow. I've never replaced grips, but I'm assuming it's a pretty straightforward though. Looking forward to a seat report when you get some miles on the new bike compared to the seat on the '13. Have fun!
 
Thread starter
Aussie easiest way if you have an air compressor is to remove bar ends weights then blow off old grips by wedging air nozzle under outside lip of grip. When you hit it with air, it will expand and pull right off..almost fly off as a matter of fact. Then start the new grip on, stick the air chuck in , kind of close the end of the grip around it and blow the new ones on. OR spray some hair spray or contact cleaner in the new grips, sling out amy excess and slide those puppies on. Be careful not to get the throttle side tight against the throttle housing which may keep the throttle from returning.

If you don't care to save the old grips and don't have air, you can always use a razor blade and slice them off. Remember there is a plastic throttle tube under the throttle grip.

Then put your bar end weights back on

( I use the air from the other end not like this guy but you get the drift)


 
Guth_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
That's what I thought Scooby.. another change for the 14"s from the 13's. Wonder if the black std gets this side stand or if they put that big pad on because the 14 dlx leans over further due to the increased ground clearance?

MFGUSA? what does your side stand pad look like?
I was guessing that the increased ground clearance on the DLX is due to using two smaller catalytic converters instead of one larger unit (as opposed to the frame sitting up higher off of the ground). Does it feel or look like the 14 leans over further?
I was guessing that the increased ground clearance on the DLX is due to using two smaller catalytic converters instead of one larger unit (as opposed to the frame sitting up higher off of the ground). Does it feel or look like the 14 leans over further?
I did notice that the bike seems to lean over further on its side
stand than the 13. When I was taking the pics by the water the ground
was not level causing the bike to lean a bit more and I was surprised
how heavy it felt getting it back upright. The center stand has been
redesigned too, I'm sure because of the left muffler. And I think it's
a bit more difficult to use. When I ride, I often like to rest my feet
on the passenger pegs for something different. On this bike, the
center stand 'bar' gets in the way. I never had that problem
on the 13.
The ferret_imp said:
Ok had the bike 1 whole day, time to commence farklin

Farkle #1 was the rubber bar end thingies put on at the shop



along with the Progrip 719 Gel Grips

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/april6013_zps107c3308.jpg.html]

next up was removing the curb feelers from the footpegs *Note the size of the side stand pad behind the peg...are the 13's that large? It looks like a ducks foot!

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/april6006_zps532c340c.jpg.html]

Next came my helmet guardian for locking my helmet to the bike

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/april6009_zpsd29689be.jpg.html]

after checking tire pressure I added my knurled aluminum valve stem caps

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/april6021_zps0122e86e.jpg.html]

next up was addressing the inadequacies in the tool kit with enough tools to adjust the rear shock and adjust the chain out on the road along with a spare fuse for my battery tender jr, a shop towel and some rubber gloves

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/april6016_zps1892a069.jpg.html]

on top of that went a road size can of chain lube for trips

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/april6017_zpsde75ab26.jpg.html]

I put some sticky backed felt under on the top tree to protect it from a dangling key

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/april6012_zpsd1b74ab4.jpg.html]

finally off came the tank stickers
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/april6010_zpscc4214d9.jpg.html]

Have several things yet to do that I can think of, putting some 3M clear on the tank in spots which may get scuffed by my jacket or tank bag, install the Kaw W 650 fork gaiters which aren't in yet, and putting on my battery tender pigtail which I will get to this coming week. Oh and installing the brackets for the NC Street Shield EX for when I take trips, but that might not happen until closer to fall.

Coming along nicely though

Looking good!! Did you look at the shield to see if it'll fit?
I briefly held mine up to it and I'm not so sure. I think the
supports might be too short...
 
There are a few things on this Earth that are more fun than accessorizing a new bike, but its a pretty short list. Lets see....riding the new bike, doing your girlfriend on the new bike...taking pictures of the new bike...
 
Thread starter
" Did you look at the shield to see if it'll fit?
I briefly held mine up to it and I'm not so sure. I think the
supports might be too short... " Ride4Now

Ride4Now, I have not but that was a concern. Is it the lower rods that you don't think will fit or all of them?
 
Back
Top