Famous Ferret

Tortuga_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I was quite surprised to stumble upon some information The Ferret has been hiding from us.....

It appears Mickey is quite a celebrity in the bow hunting world! :D

Don't ask me how I ended up stumbling across this fact, I do research quite random topics online, quite often. :-/

Let's all toast the multi talented superstar within our midst. (And get him to make us all a bow!)

:beerchug:
 
Why am I not surprised? He takes good bird photos too.
 
He's authored a good deal on bows also. I've read his stuff on traditional bows for years and never knew he was a motorcyclist.
 
Uh ohh..busted. How in the world did that come out Tortuga? You guys are starting to scare me.

My father was a bowyer and taught me and my little brother the craft. He was also a motorcyclist, riding Indians until 52, then Harleys, and in the end a series of small Hondas, 350/4, 200, 175 and a 125 Moto Guzzi. He passed the love of bows and motorcycles down to me. He took me to get my first street bike when I was 15. I passed the love of bikes and bows on to my son ( bought him a Honda 50 when he was 5 and 650 Yamaha twin when he was 12) and he in turn is passing the love of bows and motorcycles on to his son. (although my grandson's mother is decidedly anti-killing stuff which may break the chain.. we shall see). Both of my daughters children shoot bows and love riding motorcycles as well.

Ridem, I have made glass backed longbows and recurves, but specialize in making self bows, which are bows made of wood, and river cane arrows. Primitive stuff, like the Native peoples of the world used.

I am a freelance writer in the bowhunting world, an associate editor for Primitive Archer Magazine, and co authored a book a few years back.

Oh and I do a lot of nature photography as Redbirds mentioned.

There, secrets are out of the closet. On to your regularly scheduled program.
 
Hey Ferret,

That's very cool! My kid's and I do a lot of "stump hunting" with long bows, self bows, and recurves. It's fun to just walk through the woods and shoot at specific targets.

I have a self bow made by John Strunk. It's Vine Maple. You may be familiar with John...
 
Thread starter
Tripod_imp said:
Hey Ferret,

That's very cool! My kid's and I do a lot of "stump hunting" with long bows, self bows, and recurves. It's fun to just walk through the woods and shoot at specific targets.

I have a self bow made by John Strunk. It's Vine Maple. You may be familiar with John...
Ferret is the guy John calls when he runs into a problem..... ;)
 
Ferret I worked with a guy that made knifes he is great at making them. Then he got into making bows. Made from wood I called them long bows but I could be wrong. But he would take thin strips of wood and put them together and I think put them in a large oven. I remember his first bow. He had bought one from a guy in CO. Back in the 80,s and that got him into bow making. He made knifes out of old saw blades the big blades from saw mills back in the day! I still have 2 knifes he made for me all done by hand (file) no power tools at all back then. I will post a pic of one of his knifes one day.
 
I never quite got into archery like I threatened at times. Photography, now that is something I really enjoy. :D
 
Thread starter
Ridem32_imp said:
Ferret I worked with a guy that made knifes he is great at making them. Then he got into making bows. Made from wood I called them long bows but I could be wrong. But he would take thin strips of wood and put them together and I think put them in a large oven. I remember his first bow. He had bought one from a guy in CO. Back in the 80,s and that got him into bow making. He made knifes out of old saw blades the big blades from saw mills back in the day! I still have 2 knifes he made for me all done by hand (file) no power tools at all back then. I will post a pic of one of his knifes one day.
A friend of mine has a beautiful hand made knife which an English blade smith had made as a birthday present from his wife. I'll try to get some pics off him.

I want a hand made knife (one day) but since I've been hunting very little due to work I can't justify it now.:(
Rboe_imp said:
I never quite got into archery like I threatened at times. Photography, now that is something I really enjoy. :D
Another common interest. I know it won't impress anyone but I've just bought. A Sony NEX6 for street photography and travel snapping. It's so light and compact that it encourages one to carry it at all times, rather than special occasions.
 
Thread starter
The Spaceman_imp said:
I made an ashtray out of clay once. It was for my Dad.
At least you're joining in with the diversification of topics around here.

I'm kinda bored of oil/ecu/mpg debates.
 
Tortuga_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
I made an ashtray out of clay once. It was for my Dad.
At least you're joining in with the diversification of topics around here.

I'm kinda bored of oil/ecu/mpg debates.
At least you're joining in with the diversification of topics around here.

I'm kinda bored of oil/ecu/mpg debates.
If I had grandkids I could post pictures of them. But I don't.
 
Thread starter
The Spaceman_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
I made an ashtray out of clay once. It was for my Dad.
At least you're joining in with the diversification of topics around here.

I'm kinda bored of oil/ecu/mpg debates.
At least you're joining in with the diversification of topics around here.

I'm kinda bored of oil/ecu/mpg debates.
If I had grandkids I could post pictures of them. But I don't.
At least you're joining in with the diversification of topics around here.

I'm kinda bored of oil/ecu/mpg debates.
If I had grandkids I could post pictures of them. But I don't.
If I had kids, maybe I could have grand kids, and post pictures of them. I'm stopping short of posting man fat piccies.
 
I thought I overheard Mickey and Bump Start Mike talking about bow hunting at the Bob Evans, but I don't recall him mentioning his significant credentials in the sport. It does not surprise me in the least, though, that he prefers "vintage" styled weapons.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
I thought I overheard Mickey and Bump Start Mike talking about bow hunting at the Bob Evans, but I don't recall him mentioning his significant credentials in the sport. It does not surprise me in the least, though, that he prefers "vintage" styled weapons.
I see what you did there! :D



...let's hope Mrs Ferret prefers 'vintage styled weapons'


Ok, I've gone too far ...:blush:
 
Back
Top