Extended Warranty?

JohnNevets_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I did a search hear and only found 4 threads that even mention "warranty", so I take that as a very good sign that I know the answer to the next question already, but here it goes.

Is the extended Honda warranty worth it? The dealership is offering the 5 year transferable at about 10% of purchase price. And since it's from Honda it's good at any dealership. From reading up hear there doesn't seem to be any real big or consistent part failures around here. And it is a Honda after all ;). I usually buy used vehicles and so don't have to think about this. I did turn it down on my Subaru, and have not regretted it yet.

I will probably do most of the regular maintenance myself, but if it was something more major, I would tend to take it to a shop.

Anybody have much experience with Honda warranty service in general, good or bad?

Thanks guys,

John
 
John, by offering an extended warranty, Honda is betting that in the next 5 years your bike WILL NOT break down. (if it does they have to pay to repair it)

If you buy one you are betting IT WILL.

No one can tell you how comfortable or confident you feel about your Honda product.

You also have 364 days to decide whether you want to buy the extended warranty or not (must be purchased before factory warranty runs out.

The bike has been out since 2010 in some parts of the world. There have been no major glaring issues I have read about.

I personally did not buy an extended warranty.
 
The ferret_imp said:
John, by offering an extended warranty, Honda is betting that in the next 5 years your bike WILL NOT break down. (if it does they have to pay to repair it)

If you buy one you are betting IT WILL.

No one can tell you how comfortable or confident you feel about your Honda product.

You also have 364 days to decide whether you want to buy the extended warranty or not (must be purchased before factory warranty runs out.

The bike has been out since 2010 in some parts of the world. There have been no major glaring issues I have read about.

I personally did not buy an extended warranty.
x2
 
I buy health/vehicle/home insurance because I have to, but I don't like betting against myself and the insurance company bookies, I mean actuaries, that know my odds much better than I do.

My new-best-friend salesman will tell me all the great things about my new motorcycle, then as soon as I commit he will - with a straight face - tell me all the ways it could break to scare me into buying an extended warranty.

I generally don't buy extended warranties but I have started buying Apple's 2 year extended warranties because they are transferable and the people I sell my one year old gear to will pay more because of it.
 
When I bought my bike, the dealer offered me an extended 4 year warranty (For a total of five years) for $540.00. Just for comparison pricing. I passed at the time but I still have 11 and 1/2 months to change my mind...;)
 
Our dealer offered us 48 mo. for $498 but we decided against it. Now, if this were another brand of bike (which I will not mention the name because someone may take offense at that) I might have taken them up on their offer because $125 a year is not a bad price if something major goes wrong. But . . . it's a Honda! When we said that to the finance guy trying to sell us the warranty, he just smiled sheepishly and said, "Yeah, I know."
 
Wow!!! I wish the extended warranty was only that much here in Canada. I passed on it because my dealer wanted close to $400 just to extend the coverage ONE Year!

It's too bad we Canadians are just so polite and restrained ;)

If Americans were advised of some of the pricing and taxing we put up with, they would be marching to D.C., gun in hand.
 
I just bought my extended warranty the other day. I went in thinking 4 extra years of coverage from Honda, but instead went with 5 extra years from a different carrier (still nationwide coverage, transferable to new owner (like I'd sell it)) for $200 less. Truly the bike won't need anything the first three years I'm sure, and it doesn't cover wear and tear parts (warranties cover defects, not use) but in that 6th year maybe something will pop up?

I doubt it.
 
Call me a sucker but I bought it. I don't have a car, I commute 5 days a week and am averaging 1000 miles a month. For those that months later still just breaking her in, whats the point? I don't know if I'd do it again or not, but I got a great deal on everything and don't mind the peace of mind.
 
If it gives you peace of mind, it's worth every penny.
 
Nope. Lots of new Hondas, no extended warranties, and no breakdowns during ownership. Take the money you saved and blow it in Vegas.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the discussion folks. It's pretty much gone the way I thought it would, but it still helped me make my decision. This will not be my only vehicle, and with no known major things to look out for, I'm going go without. Ferret's point about the model being out for 4 years around the world, as apposed to a brand new model, was a good one as well. I have gotten the extended warranty on electronics in the past, and even used them a time or two, but for something that is more mechanical, I'm more comfortable going with out.
 
I bought a four year extension. My 650L burned up and the warranty would have covered it when the deal passed.
 
kevbroce_imp said:
Call me a sucker but I bought it. I don't have a car, I commute 5 days a week and am averaging 1000 miles a month. For those that months later still just breaking her in, whats the point? I don't know if I'd do it again or not, but I got a great deal on everything and don't mind the peace of mind.
I'm doing more than double that. I was carpooling for a few months, but now I'm back to commuting on it and racking up the miles in a hurry. Second valve check this weekend (18,000 miles).

I bought it 4/27/13.
 
I have never bought the warranty but 4 years for around $400 not a bad price. If your cluster goes bad that's more than $400. But where they get you at is it starts from when you bought the bike not after the first factory warranty if you bought the. 4 year like ferret said on day 364 after you got bike and got the 4 year warranty you only have 3 years left on the 4 year warranty! I got my wife a new 2012 honda accord 3 year bumper to bumper and life time power train warranty for free as long as we own the car. My son got a 2013 accord same life time power train warranty
 
Randy B_imp said:
kevbroce_imp said:
Call me a sucker but I bought it. I don't have a car, I commute 5 days a week and am averaging 1000 miles a month. For those that months later still just breaking her in, whats the point? I don't know if I'd do it again or not, but I got a great deal on everything and don't mind the peace of mind.
I'm doing more than double that. I was carpooling for a few months, but now I'm back to commuting on it and racking up the miles in a hurry. Second valve check this weekend (18,000 miles).

I bought it 4/27/13.
I'm doing more than double that. I was carpooling for a few months, but now I'm back to commuting on it and racking up the miles in a hurry. Second valve check this weekend (18,000 miles).

I bought it 4/27/13.
My commute is all of 12 miles if I go straight to work and back lol. The start and stop/wear and tear still there though, go to work, go to lunch, go home. Safe to say most of my miles are out having fun, I've got a 900 mile trip planned for this weekend that'll put me over 7,000 since purchasing it at the end of October.
 
My round trip is 115 miles a day.
 
I went with the extended Honda Factory warranty (5 years total). For $600 it gives me piece of mind regarding a bike I intend to keep.
 
Back
Top